1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Personal Question

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by evj95, Sep 14, 2017.

1. evj95

evj95 Type 1 · Active Member

I've noticed that at the moment I am roughly a week late with my period and am wondering if this could have been affected by starting on Novorapid and Lantus?
    If so, is this common?
    Before anyone asks, No there is no chance that I could be pregnant at all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crystalwand

Crystalwand Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have never heard about insulin and the monthly pain, but there again I was never on time every three to four months, ask your DN that's if they are any good, I am now going through the change, that's not fun either, take care ask the question and don't worry to much

3. auroralapetite

auroralapetite Type 1 · Active Member

Yes, my period was 2 weeks late after being diagnosed with Type 1. If you lost weight before diagnosis, that could also be a reason why it's late.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @evj95 not heard of this in relation to taking insulin, maybe mention it your DSN the next time you speak to them ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. lou258

lou258 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was discussing this with someone today as I'm a month diagnosed and now I think a couple of weeks late. I was assuming it was still my body recovering from my dka but was going to check at next appt if still not appeared.
    I've also been told that when it does arrive might mess with BG levels so will be interested to see what happens!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nickinoodles_

Nickinoodles_ Type 1 · Member

I'm only a few months diagnosed with type 1 and as I was unwell ( like everyone prob was) for a while I only got my period after 3 months - this was due to an iron deficiency and my bg went all over the place when I did get it. So be careful

• Like Like x 1
  7. evj95

@auroralapetite I lost roughly two - three stone before diagnosis, which is slowly starting to re-appear. So that may be another reason probably.

@Juicyj I don't have an appointment with my DSN until december, but have got her phone number, so I shall ring and enqiure on Monday if it hasn't turned up by then. Roughly two weeks late already and didn't notice to start with!

@lou258 I was in DKA when diagnosed as well, so maybe that factors in with the glorious monthly gift we all have to deal with.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have found that when I'm on too much insulin my periods are much shorter. Having a regular cycle for me is usually a sign that everything else is working.

9. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey @evj95 I was on these insulins until quite recently when I changed from Lantus to Tresiba, I'm unsure how that affected me but are you on the pill? I was on Cerazette until February I was getting really irregular periods (2 a month sometimes!), gone onto Microgynon and they've been spot on since, and predictable too so I don't need to worry.
    So I've been on the new pill since February and it's been regular since. Could it be anything to do with the pill? Maybe Microgynon works better for diabetics? It'd be interesting to find out!

10. Scarlett91

Scarlett91 Type 1 · Active Member

I was diagnosed last week and I asked if novarapid and lantus could affect my cycle and she said there was a small chance. I'm a newbie so don't know too much but thought I'd pass that on xo

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I didn't get a period for a few years before DX. They tested me while I was losing weight right before DX and told me I was post menopausal. Then a year later said I was back in peri meno. WHAT??? Now back in post.

I would tend to think it's the state of health your body is /was in rather than the actual insulin. High bg and lack of insulin both are not healthy.

12. evj95

No I'm not on the pill, so that isn't causing it at all. Been a while now, and I have to admit I am carrying pads with me everywhere I go in case I start whilst I'm out!.

I forgot to ring my DSN at the beginning of the week unfortuantely so will wait until next monday to ring if it still hasn't arrived.

@tigger I was like clockwork before diagnosis somehow, even with my body not working correctly but now that I have things sorted I have no idea what timescales I am on.

13. maria030660

maria030660 · Well-Known Member

I lost a lot of weight when i was first diagnosed 33 years ago and my period stayed away for 3 months, then it came back irregular and then it regulated.....dont worry too much about it, stress can disrupt your period as well....and your BG;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook