Petition to have carbs displayed on front of packaging

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nhs website for t2 diabetes is a joke and actually says people should be eating pasta!!
Completely agree... so we need to teach people to look at the full nutritional label on the back and ignore/remove the biased rubbish on the front surely. not include more duplicate information. The reason I think that traffic lights are awful is that they have led to the demonisation of fat and salt and as you say play down the role of sugars. I think they are in fact misleading and worse than useless so adding some more useless info (which is on the back anyway) is pointless. But that's just me.

Reactions: donnellysdogs
P

pollensa

If diabetes is one of the biggest and growing problems why are carbs not already displayed on the front of packaging? Only displaying 'Sugars' is misleading as that is all the media talks about. ALL carbohydrate (ok except that from fibre but that has already been deducted from the carb value on the back) enter our blood as sugar!

I have started a petition which I would be really grateful if you would sign and share. I am not hoping to gain anything from this other than forcing the food industry to stop pretending that its only 'sugars' we have to look out for!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/display-carbohydrate-value-on-front-of-all-food-packaging
The shorter version (if you are kind enough to tweet) is https://bit.ly/2IVHJTW

image%20for%20petition%203.jpg
Hello, congratulations regards your petition/campaign. To inform you, as others who do NOT RESIDE IN UK, may experience the same? I have tried to sign the petition and it wont allow as it stated my Code is not accepted, as I reside in Mallorca, of course, our codes of districts are different, so it looks like the petition is for UK people only? or perhaps you can amend, the code system to allow overseas codes, if not, you may loose a lot of people out there who wish to support the petition and are unable unfortunately.

Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Completely agree... so we need to teach people to look at the full nutritional label on the back and ignore/remove the biased rubbish on the front surely. not include more duplicate information. The reason I think that traffic lights are awful is that they have led to the demonisation of fat and salt and as you say play down the role of sugars. I think they are in fact misleading and worse than useless so adding some more useless info (which is on the back anyway) is pointless. But that's just me.
It's not useless tho it's the most relevant and just brings it to people's attention.. getting the other info banned is a much bigger debate (and I agree it shouldn't be there but that argument could go on forever).. I'm looking to make a small but significant change tha5 will make people more aware of carbs as the media do not mention them. I get what you're saying tho it's just the food industry have the 'advertising' budget to confuse the issue forever and whilst carbs are omitted from the front people will believe they don't matter.. the nhs website only mentions them to say you SHOULD have them!

D

Deleted member 308541

I manage to read the nutrition panel on the back of the packet.

Your petition does not like my post code either so could not sign it.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I manage to read the nutrition panel on the back of the packet.

Your petition does not like my post code either so could not sign it.

We know what is printed on the front is basically worthless. Many do not however and trying to educate people against the barrage of misinformation from the food (and pharmaceutical) industry is one hell of a mission.

Oh well thank you for trying to sign it I hope it not allowing postcodes is not a common problem!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the problem is that the labels on the front are basically warnings. The public is not going to accept a red traffic light on bread, flour, rice, pasta and potatoes. The nutritional information is on the back if people are taught to read it.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@pollensa had problems inserting her post code as well.
Can you tell me what post codes are and I'll call the site tomorrow they called me back today within half an hour so maybe they can tell me what to do if there's a problem.. maybe you could put it at end of name or something and just put one that works but I'll talk to them.. thanks for feedback

D

Deleted member 308541

Australian postcodes are four numbers, staring with the number for the state capital city.

Example: Brisbane starts with 4000.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've been quite torn on this but I think that's the best set of arguments so far and I still haven't signed.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but they do not "get" the importance of low carb if they are eating 76% carb foods...and they have obviously not been told to check the back of the pack.
my brother understood the importance of lowering his carbs. Problem was, he was then looking for, and eating, no added sugar products, thinking that meant low carbs too. The misleading and deliberate weasel words on packaging is a minefield, especially for those who are dyslexic or have other reading issues, like my brother.

even on the back of packets over here, you have to double check the portion size the figures they give relate to, and its easy to make a mistake.

and then there is the bit about being told fructose not counted as its a fruit sugar and good for you..................

I had to eventually take a morning to go round the supermarket and teach him how to read and unscramble the conflicting and misleading package words and tables into some sort of understandable form.

and he is a guy who was eager to low carb and thought he had got it right : (

Its a minefield.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If diabetes is one of the biggest and growing problems why are carbs not already displayed on the front of packaging? Only displaying 'Sugars' is misleading as that is all the media talks about. ALL carbohydrate (ok except that from fibre but that has already been deducted from the carb value on the back) enter our blood as sugar!

I have started a petition which I would be really grateful if you would sign and share. I am not hoping to gain anything from this other than forcing the food industry to stop pretending that its only 'sugars' we have to look out for!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/display-carbohydrate-value-on-front-of-all-food-packaging
The shorter version (if you are kind enough to tweet) is https://bit.ly/2IVHJTW

image%20for%20petition%203.jpg

Duplicate threads merged by Mod
signed and I have put it up on facebook and twitter too.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so we need to teach people to look at the full nutritional label on the back
not disagreeing with you, but I struggles sometimes to decipher what the nutritional label is telling me, and to multiply or divide the figures stated to give the true portion size.

Heck. I struggle with working out some of the prices per 100g so I can make a proper comparison of food costs. Its not easy. And I know this is health and important and to make the effort and make time, but often i am tired, in a hurry, boggled by the choices and maths needed. The crowds and semi abandoned trolley left in the middle of aisles while people wander off to other shelves, it all takes it toll.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I work as a brand promoter/food sampler and the number 1 question customer's ask me regarding nutrition value is ................... how many calories ?
Good luck with the petition.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
not disagreeing with you, but I struggles sometimes to decipher what the nutritional label is telling me, and to multiply or divide the figures stated to give the true portion size.

Heck. I struggle with working out some of the prices per 100g so I can make a proper comparison of food costs. Its not easy. And I know this is health and important and to make the effort and make time, but often i am tired, in a hurry, boggled by the choices and maths needed. The crowds and semi abandoned trolley left in the middle of aisles while people wander off to other shelves, it all takes it toll.

Sometimes we do need to be a mathematician and a scientist too !

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @bulkbiker

The traffic light system is misleading in so many ways. Aside from the sugars/carbs issue, the big red symbols against fats (so almost everything I buy) are not helpful and the whole system just perpetuates the misinformation around food. I really object to the dumbing down of information. And it’s not just dumbing down, it’s promoting a particular food ideology without giving people the information to make their own choices.