Petrified of going to sleep

Bee0987

hello!

I’m currently 22+5 with my 3rd baby. I’ve been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and up until last night I thought I was doing ok! I’ve got used to injecting the insulin and watching what I’m eating etc.

So last night I done my nighttime dose at 10pm and the same as every night I went straight to sleep. Something woke me at 11 and I felt shaky , hot and floater in my eyes. Tested my levels and they were 2.4. Had a snack and they went up to 3.9. I felt fine at this point. Anyway today I’m absolutely petrified of going to bed tonight. I keep thinking what about if I had not woken up? Would I have gone in to a coma.

My diabetes nurse tried to reassure me that it’s fine maybe I didn’t have enough carbs at dinner. My anxiety is through the roof.

I’m so scared now of all this. I feel tearful and so stressed.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
hello!

I’m currently 22+5 with my 3rd baby. I’ve been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and up until last night I thought I was doing ok! I’ve got used to injecting the insulin and watching what I’m eating etc.

So last night I done my nighttime dose at 10pm and the same as every night I went straight to sleep. Something woke me at 11 and I felt shaky , hot and floater in my eyes. Tested my levels and they were 2.4. Had a snack and they went up to 3.9. I felt fine at this point. Anyway today I’m absolutely petrified of going to bed tonight. I keep thinking what about if I had not woken up? Would I have gone in to a coma.

My diabetes nurse tried to reassure me that it’s fine maybe I didn’t have enough carbs at dinner. My anxiety is through the roof.

I’m so scared now of all this. I feel tearful and so stressed.

Keep asking questions about your insulin dosage. Were your morning fasting levels higher when you were diagnosed?
Mine were and I ended up on up to 22 units of nightly insulin for that because even eating low carb didn't make them budge. My levels through the night on the odd occasion that I measured them were never under the 4s though.
I'm not sure how eating carbs before bed helps but I've seen it recommend. Some carbs give you larger spikes and then big crashes, so those are the ones to avoid. I prefer a protein/fat snack before bed.

I take Valerian Root when I feel anxious or can't fall asleep. You could ask about that as well maybe.

Congratulations by the way! I just had my baby #3. All was fine with his blood sugar but I was eating low carb and watching my ketones go up a bit, which my OB wasn't worried about because I'm not Type 1 diabetic.

Last edited: