Pickled onions

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are pickled onions ok to eat for lowish carb?
Just bought some (and munched a fair few), thought it a good plan as it’s such a strong flavour but then checked carbs and it’s 8 something for 100g.

That seems quite a lot

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Onions are one of those veg we have to be careful of. Check the ingredients, make sure there are no additional sugars.

As always, test before and after. If higher than you would like, try a smaller quantity tomorrow.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends entirely on the brand. Some are better than others. I sometimes have one big one that I slice (very carefully) and add to my egg-mayo and tinned salmon.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Onions are one of those veg we have to be careful of. Check the ingredients, make sure there are no additional sugars.

As always, test before and after. If higher than you would like, try a smaller quantity tomorrow.

Gah, thought it was too good to be true

Doesn’t have added sugar (although had already eaten before I even considered it.

IMG_0016.jpg

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me ages to get into the habit of checking labels lol! Got husband well trained now!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Silverskin ones are higher carbs than the ordinary ones.

Oh for heavens sakes!

It’s almost like there is a gps on my brain and whatever I like is bad for me!!

Thank you

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It took me ages to get into the habit of checking labels lol! Got husband well trained now!

It’s the onions fault. They are veg. Veg is supposed to be good (unless potatoes)

It’s veg so I thought yay pickled onions, fab idea go and eat.

Wasn’t until I’d eaten it suddenly occurred to me that given its pickled maybe things might have been added!!

Think I need to just give up eating!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Underground veg are off limits for most. Onions are semi underground. I can tolerate a little taste, same with carrots.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Underground veg are off limits for most. Onions are semi underground. I can tolerate a little taste, same with carrots.
Underground/overground might be alright for the Wombles but has too many exceptions to be a very good dietary rule for diabetics. Peas and beans grow above ground and not everyone can cope with those, on the other hand swede, celeriac and turnips grow below ground but are often tolerated.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Underground/overground might be alright for the Wombles but has too many exceptions to be a very good dietary rule for diabetics. Peas and beans grow above ground and not everyone can cope with those, on the other hand swede, celeriac and turnips grow below ground but are often tolerated.
Yup. Eat to your meter.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well (and in true organised style forgot what time I ate so bit of a guess, could be 2 or 3 hours )
And 3 chicken sausages later I was 6.2.

So assuming had it spiked it would have been higher!

Might see if I can make my own and remove whatever nonsense adds the carbs!

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It depends entirely on the brand. Some are better than others. I sometimes have one big one that I slice (very carefully) and add to my egg-mayo and tinned salmon.
mmmm that sounds good, what do you eat the mix with?

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal limit is 10 percent, so the pickled onions would be fine - but I would look for the lowest carb on the labels of all those on the shelves.
Onions are the lower end of the stems, so they are officially above ground veges, they are intended to persist over the winter and produce a flower spike and seeds in the second year - but of course few ever get that far.
The intense flavour of onions makes them a good choice, but I slice very finely and don't use a lot of them.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mmmm that sounds good, what do you eat the mix with?

It's usually for lunch. I eat the mix with cherry toms, a few small cubes of hard cheese, and half a slice of toasted Burgen bread. I am not a salad leaves fan. I leave all that stuff for my tortoise. :)

Reactions: welovedzig
D

Deleted member 308541

I do not buy pickle onions, as I prefer to make my own, I never add sugar to the vinegar as a lot of people do / did like my crazy mother.

One or two onions do not spike me at all.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana , my personal take on this is to of course look at the label and scowl where necessary, but then to consider how much of whatever it is I will be eating. If the carb count is high, and I'd be eating a goodly amount, that might be a frown moment, but if the carb count is high, but I only need a few drops, or a teaspoonful, then I could feel differently when I look at the rest of the meal, or the remainder of the day's food.

That, in association with testing your personal reaction would be the way to go, for me.

I have always operated this way, in order to attempt to ensure I turned my back on what I needed to, rather than a broadbrush, exclusion process, without data back up.

This has meant there are some thing I have always, surprisingly, been able to eat, and other more usually benign things I've had to raise an eyebrow to.

I know it's hard sometimes.