Piercing

Deppy Yo

Hi all,

I would like have a piercing on my ear, is it ok or dangerous?

Any advice/ info on the subject would be helpful, please share. I am type 1.

Thank you all.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Probably no more dangerous that anyone else I know plenty of t1 with piercings

Just be careful of low blood sugar afterwards along with hygiene

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As suggested just make sure you're careful with hygiene. I have found any cuts etc take longer to heal so I just made sure to be careful for longer when I got my ears pierced.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just be careful of low blood sugar afterwards along with hygiene

Now I'm curious. Does having a piercing make you more likely to go low? I'd have thought stress/injury would make you more likely to go high. (But I haven't even had my ears pierced so I know nothing about the subject. :))

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Now I'm curious. Does having a piercing make you more likely to go low? I'd have thought stress/injury would make you more likely to go high. (But I haven't even had my ears pierced so I know nothing about the subject. :))

Same when having a tattoo sometimes yes the fear/pain can make you go low

Many tattoo shops etc will have lollipops because even non diabetics can go low

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I have 10and a half tattoos and 4 piercings , never had any probs with any of them , as with anything with having diabetes it’s just about keeping blood sugars controlled and keeping piercing clean ,

Reactions: Tophat1900

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t do it! I hate piercing lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have one ear pierced was no problem but have not worn a stud for a few months now.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I have one ear pierced was no problem but have not worn a stud for a few months now.
John your ear will go back to how it was without the stud!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
John your ear will go back to how it was without the stud!
Some of The holes in my ears have never sealed up so It is possible if they develop skin in the hole they will never fully close. But to be fair, you have to look very close to see they were there before and that’s from wearing earrings for many years

Hygiene and looking after piercings carefully clearly important and having watched Dr Pimple Popper am aware there can be issues so always good to make sure it’s a reputable and well practiced practitioner

back in my day they had those guns they used. I think those are classed as not good practice now

Reactions: coby

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have no sensation in my ear lobes as nerves were damaged during an operation years ago to remove tumors from neck I used to be able to push a needle through my earlobes without feeling a thing was my little party trick but have not done that for a long time now as it tended to put people off a bit.:)