Tablets (oral)
As anyone been prescribed pioglitazone.just ben ask to go on it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This drug has been identified as possibly causing strokes and heart attacks. I was on it and its brother Avandia when I had my strokes. Avandia was withdrawn and Actos should heve been IMO but it was considered to be safe in the UK It is severely restricted in the US to existing patients. Actos (pioglitizone) has been banned in Europe, but the manufacturers got round it by making it generic and not named in the ban. Proceed with caution. I bear witness to this.

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t know about the stroke link, only its link to bladder cancer (which I found out about after taking it). I was started on this and Linagliptin then changed to Linagliptin only as the result of blood tests. Am now diet controlled.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I gather Pioglitazone does have some serious side effect warnings. If you can I would suggest discussing alternatives with the GP.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, I got really interested in this drug when I was researching meds for type two recently, as it enhances insulin in muscle and liver tissue. It lowers triglycerides and free fatty acid levels, and increases insulin sensitivity via the glucose and lipid metabolism activity. Wo ho! I thought. (I have pretty messed up free fatty acid levels, and very resistant insulin resistance.)

Then I saw the possible side effects - and this one in particular - "heart failure". You gotta laugh?!