ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Tried it, based just on my age and old style BMI and the fact that I've not had any of the tests it gave me 1%.
Not impressed.
Yes type2 in remission normally assumes none diabetes levels.... And risks.
That is scary. Those in remission due to adjusted lifestyle or should I say clever choices CAN be ignored when in a lapse could maybe be at more risk.
I hv it in black and white I'm not to be taken off yearly feet and eye checks. Why? Well even bariatric patients in remission are at risk of blindness or amputation. If lapse or when the 18-24mth bariatric op benefits retreat.
We all are.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
At the original time of diagnosis, it put my chance of being type 1 at 5%, if my doc had used this calculator I still would have been probably misdiagnosed. It seems like it still stands, if you are overweight at all you still must be a type 2. I don't see where this helps a whole bunch of the misdiagnosed out there.

I am not obese, but I am overweight. At the time I swam 75 laps in a gym pool, was a vegan and ate very healthy, had an uncle that had died from type 1, and they still didn't test me and assumed I was type 2. I believe because I wasn't skinny. It wasn't until I switched doctors that she tested me and I was properly diagnosed. That seems to be a common theme.

I hope this "calculator" doesn't go anywhere because it will be an excuse to misdiagnose more people.
I'm wondering if my new diabesity Dr will test me. Next year now, if he does.
Should hv been done in hospital before op, I think. Doesn't seem I was. Hospital theatre and ward treated me as a type1 anyway.

Reactions: Marie 2