PIP Assessment

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would advise you to take someone else with you, and either arrange in advance to get a recording of your interview (it may be too late to do this) or have someone take notes for you as it is amazing how many mistakes or errors are found in their final assessment reports.
There are few generic questions, it depends on your disability/ies. They will want to know how your health issues affect your ability to work, and if you have mobility issues for example they may ask you to stand, raise arms, walk, etc. (in my case the dr recorded that I refused to do some of these when I'd said I could not do it due to my disabilities). They used to be, and as far as I know still are, hopeless about mental health issues.
Take proof if you have any - copies of any prescriptions or the pill packets, recent letters from the hospital etc. - as the default to to assume you are lying or exaggerating.
If they reject your claim be prepared to request a copy of the report as soon as possible, then write to DWP within the deadline for the DWP mandatory review stage. Claims are rarely reassessed at this stage, but only after that can you go to the independent tribunal. With good/expert support about 2/3 of appeals succeed.

Reactions: jjraak

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with TriciaWs. You need to have plenty of evidence - things you think are or should be unimportant or self-evident will need to be backed up. They don't take your word for anything.

Don't get disheartened if they knock you back first time. This happens a lot and there's a suspicion that it's standard practice. A well-reasoned appeal will often work. We've just secured a full PIP for a friend after being entirely rejected initially.

Good luck.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be aware they may well be observing you before the formal interview. I accompanied my former wife to her assessment. When the interviewer came to ask about her mobility issues, she casually dropped, “I can see you struggle with your balance from watching you walk from the car park.”
Saying that, the interview went quite smoothly, the assessor accepted my former wife’s situation and was very sympathetic.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @InsulinAddict1310 .

Interested in topic as I am at start of requesting PIP.

From what I have read, it really is advisable to think of your worst day, when applying or being asked questions at interview.

Two links I found super useful when I first started looking for info

This was the daily record in which I found good advice and a link to self test your claim HERE.

This one describes then links to a self test.
https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test

One or two things of note I also found

I have only anecdotal evidence, but it seems the important thing for assessors, is to seek evidence to disprove our claim rather then prove it

So if asked to meeting, don't go alone
It can offer argument you are more independent then described

And do not stand in hallway.
Ask for a seat, again evidence you are stronger then described, some say.

I had a friend, clearly disabled.

Asked by an at home assessor to move to the toilet unaided

Chap did do, clearly struggling but managed by gripping tables chairs door frames on way to toilet

Claim refused, clearly mobile & independent.

Scare mongering gossip ?,

no..it impacted him immensely and we all got concerned.

I think most genuine claimants want to prove they can still do some everyday activities
Which really is detrimental to winning our claim

Neither side being sneaky

They have to prove there IS an actual need,
( I do get the need to winkle out false claims )

We have to show them that THAT need exists, not on our few 'best' days, but on our many "worst days .

If we don't show them the reality of the majority (worst days ), and give our very best,

not hard for them to think we can do that level of effort / movement constantly & in safety

Wish you well in your claim

Last edited:

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not being negative, but look at the appeals process.

Reactions: jjraak