Plant based diet.

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always had problems with high Blood Glucose. (Between 17 and 22mmol) in the last 8 days I have stopped eating meat and dairy products and have started a plant based diet. I was taking Metformen 4 x 500mg per day, Levemir (30ml in a morning and 32ml in the evening) twice a day and Novarapid before every meal.
Since starting my plant based diet. I have stopped the Novarapid and reduced my Levemir down to 22ml in a morning and 24ml in a evening. My blood glucose is now between 5mmol and 7mmol but I still take the Metformen. I have to keep a careful eye on my BG in case it drops too much, but I do feel much better for the change. I know no two diabetics are the same. I just wanted to share my experience and any new advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all

Dave

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Since starting my plant based diet. I have stopped the Novarapid and reduced my Levemir down to 22ml in a morning and 24ml in a evening. My blood glucose is now between 5mmol and 7mmol but I still take the Metformen.

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing. Can I ask how long you've been diabetic? I can understand the drop in basal if your insulin resistance has gone down but am puzzled that you don't need bolus for the carbs, unless you are still producing some of your own?

Are you carb counting or restricting the carbs?

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing. Can I ask how long you've been diabetic? I can understand the drop in basal if your insulin resistance has gone down but am puzzled that you don't need bolus for the carbs, unless you are still producing some of your own?

I am carb counting, but because of me using the plant base diet there is very little carbs. I get my protein from the legumes, nuts and the likes of Advacado etc. I have hoped to start a nutritional course with my local diabetic centre, but at the moment there is a delay. So I am doing my diet on my own

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry, I have been a Diabetic since 2018

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am carb counting, but because of me using the plant base diet there is very little carbs.

That's what is puzzling me. I thought plant based had lots of carbs, but I am probably misunderstanding it.
eg
sweetcorn, Haricot beans, potatoes, peas, fruit (I love apples).

Have you got a link to what you mean by plant based?

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what is puzzling me. I thought plant based had lots of carbs, but I am probably misunderstanding it.
eg
sweetcorn, Haricot beans, potatoes, peas, fruit (I love apples).

Unfortunately I do not have a link. I just eat anything that is not processed. I eat Avocados Chia seeds (they make a magnificent breakfast or anytime time snack, Two heaped tablespoons of Chia seeds cover with Almond or any plant based milk and stir with a spoon. Allow it to solidify and add the choice of your berries. When you would like to eat it. It reminds me of Tapioca.) for my evening meals I have stir fry vegetables. You can also make your own soups. I find Parsnip soup very nice amongst others.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

@davgre or you could just share a typical day's food on the new diet (and ideally on the old diet too for comparison).

Oops, just read your post as I was posting.
That sounds fairly low carb, depending massively on the vegetable choice. Are you using rice at all?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I find Parsnip soup very nice amongst others.

I love parsnip soup, but parsnips do have carbs. I am just wondering where your calories are coming from if you are low fat (because of the plant based) and low carb too. Are you losing weight on this diet?

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@davgre or you could just share a typical day's food on the new diet (and ideally on the old diet too for comparison).

Oops, just read your post as I was posting.
That sounds fairly low carb, depending massively on the vegetable choice. Are you using rice at all?

I have started to use Quinoa instead of rice, but watch it carefully.
I have noticed, that any root vegetables (carrots, beetroot,potatoes etc) will make my BG rise, but anything that grows above the soil (cabbage, bracoli, tomatoes, beans etc) are fine I don’t have a problem with.

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love parsnip soup, but parsnips do have carbs. I am just wondering where your calories are coming from if you are low fat (because of the plant based) and low carb too. Are you losing weight on this diet?

Not too sure about the weight, just happy with the BG and I am having no side affects.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have noticed, that any root vegetables (carrots, beetroot,potatoes etc) will make my BG rise, but anything that grows above the soil (cabbage, bracoli, tomatoes, beans etc) are fine I don’t have a problem with.

It sounds to me that you are doing low carb as well as plant based then? I guess time will tell whether you are getting enough calories for weight maintenance. Do you think it's lower carb than your old diet though?

Oh, and if you're effectively vegan and still on metformin you might need to take B12 supplements (Vegans can easily be B12 deficient and metformin sometimes causes B12 deficiency). My Vegan son takes regular B12 tablets.

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds to me that you are doing low carb as well as plant based then? I guess time will tell whether you are getting enough calories for weight maintenance. Do you think it's lower carb than your old diet though?

Oh, and if you're effectively vegan and still on metformin you might need to take B12 supplements (Vegans can easily be B12 deficient and metformin sometimes causes B12 deficiency). My Vegan son takes regular B12 tablets.

To be honest I have not checked my B12, I believe I will have to check it. At the moment I am feeling fine. I do take supplements, but like I have mentioned I am doing this on my own and the only guidance I am getting is from the internet or people like yourself

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello,

I’m not plant based myself. But I do avoid the “usual suspects” with the root veg.

However.. Have you checked out celeriac? A pretty good lower carb replacement for spuds.
Works for me & I prefer the taste too. (Check with your meter.)

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I’m not plant based myself. But I do avoid the “usual suspects” with the root veg.

However.. Have you checked out celeriac? A pretty good lower carb replacement for spuds.
Works for me & I prefer the taste too. (Check with your meter.)

I haven’t, but I will thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
@davgre I'm going to tag in @Marie 2 who is T1 and vegan and I believe follows a similar diet with great success.

Reactions: Jaylee

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@davgre I'm going to tag in @Marie 2 who is T1 and vegan and I believe follows a similar diet with great success.

I would really like to get tips from her, I was first diagnosed with type 2 then I was was diagnosed with type 1.5 (Lada) then I was told I was a type 1 and now my diabetic centre are saying I am a type 2 with a possibility of going into remission. Although I am still taking all the medication. Everything I have done regarding my diabetes I have done myself. So the more info I can get I will be very grateful

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would really like to get tips from her, I was first diagnosed with type 2 then I was was diagnosed with type 1.5 (Lada) then I was told I was a type 1 and now my diabetic centre are saying I am a type 2 with a possibility of going into remission.

Remission sounds like an exciting possibility (and a possibility if you are in fact T2) but I feel for you on the mixed messaging.
Maybe you should ask them for a cpeptide test to see how much insulin you are now producing?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again, @davgre .

You topic appears to be in the general chat sub forum.

Would you like me or a member of the mod team to move the topic to a more appropriate plant based diet section where you may be seen & responded to by others following your WOE?

It would be a shame to miss out on any further advice & tips. :)

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remission sounds like an exciting possibility (and a possibility if you are in fact T2) but I feel for you on the mixed messaging.
Maybe you should ask them for a cpeptide test to see how much insulin you are now producing?

Sorry for the late reply, it’s 07:30 and have just woke up. Never heard of the peptide, but I will ask for it

davgre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again, @davgre .

You topic appears to be in the general chat sub forum.

Would you like me or a member of the mod team to move the topic to a more appropriate plant based diet section where you may be seen & responded to by others following your WOE?

It would be a shame to miss out on any further advice & tips. :)

If you can move it to the correct section I would be pleased.

Reactions: Jaylee