1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Please help urgent advice needed!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Postleneo, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Postleneo

Postleneo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys had dinner a few hours ago followed by a snack I have insulin on board but don't know how much. Just went to change battery on my Animas Vibe and found the battery had completely corroded. Phoned Animas who said pump unsafe and am waiting a replacement tomorrow morning. My issue is getting through the night not sure whether to inject a small amount of background insulin or basically wake every few hour to inject a bolus. Am really unsure as hopefully will get the replacement pump by 10am in the morning Your advice will really be appreciated

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi there @Postleneo - I have no idea as I'm not an insulin user, never mind pumper, but I'll tag @Juicyj , @himtoo and @catapillar for you, just off the top of my head.

I hope your replacement pump arrives promptly in the morning.

3. Postleneo

Thank you very much

4. andi140373

andi140373 Type 1 · Active Member

If your pump is still working I would continue to use it. Batteries take a while to corrode so if your glucose levels have been as expected, tonight should not be noticeably different to last night (you are just aware that there maybe an issue). Consider setting an alarm for 2am to do a quick test just to make sure

5. Postleneo

Thanks for the response but battery ll looks like it completely exploded and animal's guy advised under no circumstances to continue to use the pump. I am thinking of maybe injecting a dose of basal and when the pump arrives to put a minus 100% reduction if that's possible but not sure how much Toujeo to take was previously taking 6 units... Started pumping at 5 units basal (Fiasp) but now take 10. 36units

6. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Personally, if I knew I was getting a replacement pump the following morning, I would use my quick acting insulin to correct every few hours.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

8. Postleneo

Hi Juicyj yes I'm still here.. Doing fine but knackered .. Took @dancer 's approach and corrected every couple of hrs... Hopefully new pump will get here on time. Thanks very much for asking

• Like Like x 2
  9. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

10. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

My diabetes team have always been very keen that I have spare pen supplies of basal and bolus in case my pump fails.
    These live in the fridge most of the time unless I go away overnight (I take a syringe for manual corrections if the pump fails during a day time outing).
    I would strongly recommend requesting this for piece of mind in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Postleneo

Hi there.. Bloods have been between 9 and 12 taking between 1.5 and 2 units every 2 hours. Replacement pump was a no show won't be here now till tomorrow... Well cheesed off... DNS now advised to take my Toujeo at 20% more than current total daily basal and to attach pump when I get it tomorrow evening..... Trials and tribulations of T1 hey..... Cheers for asking

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Postleneo Glad you're ok and I think you're doing incredibly well to keep your BG levels around 9-12. It's a pain that the pump won't come till tomorrow but try as much as you can not to stress. I have to admit I would of tried a battery in the pump regardless just to see if I could keep it going as it's not easy transitioning from pump to mdi even if it's a day or so, also a shame your DSN doesn't carry a spare pump as stock either to loan you, some trusts do have them for demos and if someone hands them back in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done for keeping your bloods at a reasonable level. Fingers crossed for today for you

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook