appleUK

First of all I just want to say hi! I really appreciate this forum and I really someone can help me out a little.

I'm 24 years old with a BMI of 21 who had never really had any major health issues until about 3 years ago. Before that I did have dry tried eyes, lots of headaches maybe a bit of fatigue but I always put it down to going out to a few clubs on the weekend.

Then about 3 years ago it reached a new level I developed heart palpatations about 15-30 mins after which seemed like every meal, I had a hang over feeling every single morning without drinking a drop of beer, I developed terrible aniexty to the point of depression something that I had never experienced before (I also smoked ciggerates at his point).
I had brain fog all day couldn't concentrate at work it was terrible, sex drive and quality went down hill every month.

I eventually went to the doctors after about a year of that and they did all sorts of tests and couldn't find a thing wrong with me at all until one referred me to a endo I've been back and forth to the Endo for about 8 months after being referred due to heart palpatations/dizzy/brain fog/ tired after meals, low sex drive weak erections etc.

To cut the story short they did tests on all hormones thyroid and diabetes checks and im all fine, he then thought could be reactive hypo/ dumping syndrome, but my blood sugar apparently doesn't go low enough to be . I was told it happens regularly but should go in a few years, even though I have had for 3 years.

Basically for example blood sugar 5.7 before meal 15 mins later it's gone to 7-7.5 then 15 minutes later when horrible symptoms start it drops to 5 mmol but he sent me away and like I said told me in should get better in a few years and it's not diabetes.

Since then which has been about 2 days, I have continued to take sugar readings each morning being 5.9 and then 6.2 which I know isn't too healthy now for example a few days ago I had a pizza once again not healthy I know but bexuase eating was 6.0, 2 hours after was 9.7! Today I had tuna pasta was 6.0 before and 7.5 hours later.

I'm really sorry for the long post and apologies for any grammar mistakes I'm just tired and I don't know what to do I feel like I'm not getting any help from dr's, apart from the odd cheat meal I do really eat healthy, no sweets, sodas, chocolate or anything like they i also try to have as much protein with carbs to help.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @appleUK ,

Welcome to the forum.

Without doubt you'll get advice &'thoughts from a cross section of Ds.
As a T1 myself. I can confidently stick my neck out & say you're not type one...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Without a diagnosis you have been left flying blind I'm afraid. Have you tried cutting down on carbs? Even non diabetics will benefit from lowering carb intake. Nothing too drastic, mind until you get some idea of what is actually going on.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you're definitely not diabetic, simply because your blood sugar results are very average, they should be between 4.0 and 8.0 realistically, your body is producing insulin to bring your blood sugar levels back down. If you were an undiagnosed diabetic your blood sugars would be dropping to 3's and 2's or increasing to highs of 20's! I have also been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and it's such a hard battle, I have many symptoms you've described and unfortunately we just have to wait for an outcome, however long it takes :( sorry I couldn't be more help, sending hugs x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically for example blood sugar 5.7 before meal 15 mins later it's gone to 7-7.5 then 15 minutes later when horrible symptoms start it drops to 5 mmol but he sent me away and like I said told me in should get better in a few years and it's not diabetes.

Since then which has been about 2 days, I have continued to take sugar readings each morning being 5.9 and then 6.2 which I know isn't too healthy now for example a few days ago I had a pizza once again not healthy I know but bexuase eating was 6.0, 2 hours after was 9.7! Today I had tuna pasta was 6.0 before and 7.5 hours later.

All of your blood sugar results are completely normal and exactly what would be expected in someone without diabetes or any blood sugar issues. The results you've posted don't indicate diabetes or reactive hypoglycaemia. A "drop" to 5 isn't low, 5 is a perfectly normal blood sugar level. Everyone's blood sugar rises on eating and it's not unusual for a non diabetic to occasionally get rises up to 10 or 11. In a non diabetic insulin will quickly deal with the food rises and bring blood sugar back to the level your body wants to be at. That's what's happening to you. It's all normal.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How is your thyroid?

they did tests on all hormones thyroid and diabetes checks and im all fine
Hi @appleUK and welcome to the forum. I agree with the others that your readings don't indicate T2 diabetes. We aren't doctors so can't diagnose what it is that is causing your symptoms, though we can make suggestions.
Some of the symptoms you describe can also be associated with depression, or possibly anxiety. I cope with depression and have experienced some of those symptoms too. Have you been assessed for depression, anxiety, or any mental health conditions? If not you should ask for an assessment. I am on anti-depressants which have helped me. Counselling can also help.

appleUK

I appreciate all the replies, just woke up for work checked my blood sugar and it's 6.7 this morning?

I've had my TSH checked and dr said it's all fine but not been checked for Hashimotos.

I should of explained myself in regards to the aniexty and depression a little better because I'm all good now, I spent a lot of time researching online about a year and a half ago and I did a elimination diet, it was then I found out that cheese,milk, came sugar, heavy carbs etc all caused these issues so I cut them straight out and the symptoms basically started to disappear. But because I was naturally a very skinny person this made it even worse so I added carbs with lots of protein back in and started the gym.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

I was going to suggest food intolerances may be a factor, then I saw your last post and see that you have already been looking at those.

Do you keep a food diary? It might help you spot a single ingredient or group of ingredients that are always present in a meal when you have symptoms. :)

Edited so that it made sense!

Last edited:

appleUK

Hi and welcome.

I was going to suggest food intolerances may be a factor, then I saw your last post and see that you have already been looking at those.

Do you keep a food diary? It might help you spot a single ingredient or group of ingredients that are always present in a meal. Edited you have symptoms. :)

Yep I used to it was basically everything other than fruit veg chicken and fish haha!

This has all been a big mystery but I just find it hard to accept when the endo told me it happens to lots of kids your age because when I take my readings they go for example pre meal 6, 15 minutes later 8.5, 15 later 4.9, then slowly goes back up again.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Think it is unwise to cut milk and cheese and a whole lot of food kinds all at once just because They at seldome occasions could give those symptoms : as you are right now you actually dont know why you feel This general fatigue , it could come from a number of reasons ; lack of vitamins , too low in salt , too High in salt , too low in iron, too little magnesium, to little variation in foods meat and vegs,

When not being diabetic you should not just have to cut out all carbs
You could go after a Healthy ratio between your macro nutrients like 0.8 grams of protein Pro kg bodyweight Daily which would mean if one was 70 kg one would need around 53 grams of protein in a day , one egg is around 7 grams of protein

Fats you could go for letting it be like 35-45% of your calories
And carbs around 30-40% of your calories

appleUK

I Think it is unwise to cut milk and cheese and a whole lot of food kinds all at once just because They at seldome occasions could give those symptoms : as you are right now you actually dont know why you feel This general fatigue , it could come from a number of reasons ; lack of vitamins , too low in salt , too High in salt , too low in iron, too little magnesium, to little variation in foods meat and vegs,

When not being diabetic you should not just have to cut out all carbs
You could go after a Healthy ratio between your macro nutrients like 0.8 grams of protein Pro kg bodyweight Daily which would mean if one was 70 kg one would need around 53 grams of protein in a day , one egg is around 7 grams of protein

Fats you could go for letting it be like 35-45% of your calories
And carbs around 30-40% of your calories

I can't drink milk without a reaction 10 minutes later of heart palpations and brain fog it's a really bad that and chocolate seem to be the worst.

I take magnesium supplements as it really helps my headaches

Basically I feel fine on complex carbs and meat, but pasta bread sugar milk cheese etc all cause a quick reaction. But being 24 and not had one diagnostic I find it hard to not cheat with these meals and alcohol but just makes me feel horrendous.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay Then you do know What causes you problems

By the way broccoli is a great source of calcium (now that you dont drink milk )

Chocolate-MILK ??? Could be the sugars in it

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't drink milk without a reaction 10 minutes later of heart palpations and brain fog it's a really bad that and chocolate seem to be the worst.

I take magnesium supplements as it really helps my headaches

Basically I feel fine on complex carbs and meat, but pasta bread sugar milk cheese etc all cause a quick reaction. But being 24 and not had one diagnostic I find it hard to not cheat with these meals and alcohol but just makes me feel horrendous.

Well, that's good in a way. You've discovered you have some food sensitivities. They might be causing the palpitations if it's not related to anxiety.

Your blood sugar results are fine. You're only noticing normal ups and downs. Most people obviously don't test their blood sugar so don't see these.

You've seen an Endo and had diabetes ruled out, so I'd personally concentrate on eating what works for you re your food intolerances and stop testing your blood sugar.

Reactions: Prem51

appleUK

Okay Then you do know What causes you problems

By the way broccoli is a great source of calcium (now that you dont drink milk )

Chocolate-MILK ??? Could be the sugars in it

Yeah I do have a lot of broccoli I love it haha!

No I don't touch chocolate milk at all it would cause me all sorts of issues.

appleUK

Well, that's good in a way. You've discovered you have some food sensitivities. They might be causing the palpitations if it's not related to anxiety.

Your blood sugar results are fine. You're only noticing normal ups and downs. Most people obviously don't test their blood sugar so don't see these.

You've seen an Endo and had diabetes ruled out, so I'd personally concentrate on eating what works for you re your food intolerances and stop testing your blood sugar.

Thanks for the reassurance, although I'm used to it now it's very scary and having heavy tired eyes all day really isn't healthy.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reassurance, although I'm used to it now it's very scary and having heavy tired eyes all day really isn't healthy.

Perhaps you just need more sleep?

Have you had your eyesight tested? If your vision needs correcting,that can cause a feeling of tired, dry eyes.

appleUK

Perhaps you just need more sleep?

Have you had your eyesight tested? If your vision needs correcting,that can cause a feeling of tired, dry eyes.

Yeah I had an eye test done just over a year ago and was given some computer glasses, they said my eyesight is good. I sleep 8 hours each night but have heavy blinking and lead feeling eyes mostly all day, same with very frequent urination in just completely stumped haha.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I had an eye test done just over a year ago and was given some computer glasses, they said my eyesight is good. I sleep 8 hours each night but have heavy blinking and lead feeling eyes mostly all day, same with very frequent urination in just completely stumped haha.

Anxiety can cause frequent urination too, as well as other things like urinary infections, obviously.

You've seen doctors and had a number of conditions ruled out, including diabetes and thyroid problems. It sounds like you're in good health, and just overly focussing on normal events/symptoms.

Real doctors are a hundred times better than Dr Google. Trust your doctors and get on with enjoying life :)