Please help

john7876

I’m a transgender. Even though I was born as a girl, I didn’t exhibit any feminine nature. So, I underwent an FTM surgery a few months back from a clinic in Mississauga. Does anyone know if this will effect my blood sugars or effect anything to do with my diabetes?.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @john7876

Welcome to the forum.

Can you explain more about your concerns and what diabetes you have and treatment ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a transgender. Even though I was born as a girl, I didn’t exhibit any feminine nature. So, I underwent an FTM surgery a few months back from a clinic in Mississauga. Does anyone know if this will effect my blood sugars or effect anything to do with my diabetes?.

Edited by moderator
Hello, and welcome,

We don't know what type you are. Bit young for T2, but then, it does happen sometimes... And if you're a T1, I do think you might've noticed by now if you're on hormone therapy to complement the surgery. Hormones can influence how well insulin is absorbed, from what I understand, but all I know comes from what I've read about (peri-) menopause lately, nothing that pertains to your particular situation. Have you noticed a change? Needing more or less insulin, if you're a T1? There are so many factors that come into this. We don't know what type you are and what medication you're on, so it's a stab in the dark basically. I do know a shock to the system, meaning any kind of surgery, can make your bloodsugars go haywire for quite some time, and from the sound of it, yours was rather invasive. Not just physically but emotionally too. Could take a while for things to return to normal, should your BS be high right now. Are you on any steroids or painkillers that can influence your bloodsugars? Loads of questions and very little answers, but seeing as there are so many factors you're dealing with that could trip your bloodsugars up.... I'm thinking it's pretty safe to say it'll be a while before you see normal numbers again, IF they are abnormal now. Like I said, you haven't given a lot of information, but... An operation, hormones, painkillers, pain, anti-inflammatory medication, stress, trauma, you name it, it can make your BS go up.
Sorry I can't be of more help,
Jo, just a T2