Please please Can anyone help .. ??

BabyFoXi_666

Have been a widow for the last 5 years But have recently started dating again .. We go for the occasional weekend away .. Staying in a bed and breakfast or hotel .. Wonder's if how a diabetic is meant to store their insulin in a fridge when There is Not one in the room .. Please please has anyone else experienced this problem or could anyone give Me some help and advice .. ?? .. Thank You .. X .. :crazy: ..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
BabyFoXi_666 said:
Have been a widow for the last 5 years But have recently started dating again .. We go for the occasional weekend away .. Staying in a bed and breakfast or hotel .. Wonder's if how a diabetic is meant to store their insulin in a fridge when There is Not one in the room .. Please please has anyone else experienced this problem or could anyone give Me some help and advice .. ?? .. Thank You .. X .. :crazy: ..

Just ring them in advance if possible, or ask at the reception on check-in if you can store your insulin in their fridge until you need it. I just can't imagine this would be a problem for them.

iainmonty

Hi Valerie,

I have been on holidays in the UK and abroad frequently and I use a product which will keep your insulin cool, ie below 30 degrees centigrade.

I keep my insulin cartridges in a container supplied by Frio without the need for refrigeration. You can see these here: http://www.friouk.com

For my extra supplies I also keep in this product as insulin will keep ok out of the fridge for up to 30 days. This is less time than it takes me to use one cartridge.

When going abroad you should take two lots of insulin, needles etc and give one to your partner so if anything happens to one you have an alternative supply.

When flying always carry your insulin with you as the hold is too cold for it as it will be destroyed. You will also need a letter from you diabetic team to verify that you are allowed to carry needles.

In the UK you should also store your insulin in this product when the temperature will exceed 30 degrees centigrade.

I use Humalin I and Humalog.

Hope this helps.

Iain

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi BabyFoxi, I am a T2 but did use insulin for about 12 months following diagnosis and I never kept the pens I was using in a fridge, in fact I was told its not a good idea to inject very cold insulin.

I did keep my replacement cartridges of fast and long acting insulin in a fridge but the loaded pens that I would carry with me day to day I just kept in a cool dark place like a draw at home or in a courier/man bag thing when out and about. :thumbup:

So I would imagine if you are just going away for weekends that you could easily keep your pens and a spare cartridge or two in you handbag as long as you dont leave it in a hot car or in direct sunlight I would think you will be fine.

saz1902

Hello! I also use a frio wallet. You can get them from their site or amazon. You soak them in cold water and last for ages. You can always resoak them if your away longer than they last. Hope this helps! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App