Type 2 Please Someone Help Me Understand - Enough Insulin?

Joepubli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been type two for about 7 years and was on metformin. 2x850 per day. Recently my Hb1AC numbers started going up. Reached 9. I wasn't checking and was travelling a lot but I was still surprised.

A month Dr added Forxiga 10 once a day in the morning. I started testing again. Now frequently testing am am surprised how high my reading is after even modest meals. It seems the medication is not doing much.

Fasting is 8 or 9. 2 hrs after meal it is often 13/14. Seem crazy numbers to me. I am feeling rather tired.

I am suspecting that my body is not producing sufficient Insulin - if I understand correctly, these meds only work if there is sufficient insulin? Am I correct.

Are there any tests that can test for level of insulin production?
Thanks for your help

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors can do a c-peptide test to see your insulin response to food - I'm afraid I don't know enough about the drugs you are on to understand how they work with insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would suspect T1 particularly if you are slim or have lost weight recently. If you natural insulin is low then something like Gliclazide might help a for a while as it did for me but it is suspected of speeding up the death of the beta cells. In general tablets won't help if you insulin is low and you may need to start insulin before long. The c-peptide test is one way to measure your insulin. I had one done privately as my GP was taking my condition seriously and it showed a level towards the bottom of the range.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell us a bit about your ‘modest’ meals? What exactly are you eating?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Treat you in your food just see what to eat

If you organize your meals you will not need any medications
The solution is to reduce the proportion of carbohydrates