Pneumonia vaccine

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, has anyone been given the pneumonia vaccine this year? It’s normally given to people over 65 or at risk groups but I cannot find a chemist that can get it. This is the second year I’ve not been able to have it. Starting to think it’s to whittle down the weak and old! Thanks

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would the doctors surgery not have it......?...seeing as its a but more scarce....

D

Deleted Account

As @Robkww says, my understanding is that it is only needed to be taken once.
I was given it 10 years ago and have not asked about it since.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not weak or old! I had it last autumn at my surgery. As the nurse gave it she said I was lucky as I got the last one and they were having difficulty getting more stock. I don’t know if this is why you can’t get it?

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, has anyone been given the pneumonia vaccine this year? It’s normally given to people over 65 or at risk groups but I cannot find a chemist that can get it. This is the second year I’ve not been able to have it. Starting to think it’s to whittle down the weak and old! Thanks
I had a pneumonia jab on diagnosis 4 years ago and the nurse said it would last 10 years!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think pharmacists can give it it has to be your GP - might be wrong though

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Had mine about 6yrs ago and was told only needed once. I think it has saved me hospitalisation a few times now.
Having had pneumonia at 3mths old I felt very reassured by it.

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all replies. Definitely can’t get it in Essex unless in hospital. Boots app inform that I can buy it and it’s a different one to the Nhs one which is a bit strange. I was unaware that it lasted 10 years so I’ll ask at Boots today. Thanks again

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all replies. Definitely can’t get it in Essex unless in hospital. Boots app inform that I can buy it and it’s a different one to the Nhs one which is a bit strange. I was unaware that it lasted 10 years so I’ll ask at Boots today. Thanks again

This is the second year Boots is doing this - see website
'The new vaccine will cost £70 and is available in 51 Boots stores from January 23, 2017. Meanwhile, if you're 65+ or suffer from a long-term health condition don't forget you're eligible for the vaccination on the NHS. '. As far as i know, no vaccine protects from all types of pneumonia, i am unsure re the details, but, as i have never had a vaccination i was looking into it. it seems that "Two different pneumococcal vaccines are available in the market: polysaccharide vaccines (PPVs) and conjugate vaccines (PCVs) [11]." i am still trying to find out more, if anyone knows more, or knows which Boots is offering, please help