1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Police Cells And No Insulin.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by dmcx3x, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Copernicus

Copernicus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How is it not helpful ? . A lot of people posting here seem to think that a police officer should have handed over the insulin to let the O.P administer it to herself. That was never going to happen. You are quite correct in that the correct procedure appears to have not been followed and of course the O.P. must make a complaint about that. Now at this stage we do not know if a duty doctor was called out or if an ambulance was requested. If the answer to that question is no then a complaint is more than justified.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We do know, the information is in the original post.

"But no I had to wait till the nurse came they told me he wouldn’t be long."
    "So scared I kept pressing this buzzer for water and explaining I need insulin now I have ketons I’m being sick can you not just phone me an ambulance ?"

This obviously didn't happen.

No doctor, no nurse, no ambulance = no insulin dispensed = complaint is justified.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Copernicus

Copernicus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I quite agree something went badly wrong there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WHT

WHT Type 2 · Member

as well as making a complaint seek some legal advice on this. You have a medical condition that they should have 'paid attention to' irrelevant of what you are being held for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. maria030660

maria030660 · Well-Known Member

I would file a complaint straight away and inform your MP. Its disgraceful and actually against the law!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ermintrude775

Ermintrude775 Type 1 · Active Member

That is shocking. Ignorance about what a condition is is not an excuse diabetics do not just need some sugar to survive.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook