Police Cells And No Insulin.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't think that's a helpful answer. Yes, that may be the correct procedure - but in this case that procedure was not followed, and not following it is a really bad idea for T1D people.

How is it not helpful ? . A lot of people posting here seem to think that a police officer should have handed over the insulin to let the O.P administer it to herself. That was never going to happen. You are quite correct in that the correct procedure appears to have not been followed and of course the O.P. must make a complaint about that. Now at this stage we do not know if a duty doctor was called out or if an ambulance was requested. If the answer to that question is no then a complaint is more than justified.

Reactions: Kyambala

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How is it not helpful ? . A lot of people posting here seem to think that a police officer should have handed over the insulin to let the O.P administer it to herself. That was never going to happen. You are quite correct in that the correct procedure appears to have not been followed and of course the O.P. must make a complaint about that. Now at this stage we do not know if a duty doctor was called out or if an ambulance was requested. If the answer to that question is no then a complaint is more than justified.

We do know, the information is in the original post.

"But no I had to wait till the nurse came they told me he wouldn’t be long."
"So scared I kept pressing this buzzer for water and explaining I need insulin now I have ketons I’m being sick can you not just phone me an ambulance ?"

This obviously didn't happen.

No doctor, no nurse, no ambulance = no insulin dispensed = complaint is justified.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We do know, the information is in the original post.

"But no I had to wait till the nurse came they told me he wouldn’t be long."
"So scared I kept pressing this buzzer for water and explaining I need insulin now I have ketons I’m being sick can you not just phone me an ambulance ?"

This obviously didn't happen.

No doctor, no nurse, no ambulance = no insulin dispensed = complaint is justified.
I quite agree something went badly wrong there.

D

Deleted member 489048

Ok I was arrested on Saturday for nothing what so ever. I basically asked a police his name and badge number because I was going to complain and he put me in the police van and took me to the station.

When I got to the station I explained I was on a night out and I have diabetes my insulin is in my bag. I didn’t take my insulin when I was out Incase of a sudden drop and hypo when I am out. I would have eating and done this when I was home.

It was around 3.30am when I got there and they told me they will get a nurse. I waited and started to feel the thirst come. I drank 6 cups of water in an hour I explained I need my insulin again. But no I had to wait till the nurse came they told me he wouldn’t be long. I pressed the buzzer again after being sick knowing I was starting to get ketons in my blood I needed more water they gave me one cup at a time I kept pressing it asking how long this nurse would be. My back became sore my vision was blurry. So scared I kept pressing this buzzer for water and explaining I need insulin now I have ketons I’m being sick can you not just phone me an ambulance ? They asked me do I need sugar??? That was the final straw I said please go and good hyperglycemia or ketons they told me no they turned my buzzer off so I couldn’t press it for help or water. This resulted in me drinking from the tap that says not drinking water. I was terrified. They told me they have CCTV on me if anything happens they will come in. I told them when I go into a coma that’s when I am going to get my insulin ?? Being sick even more every sip of water I took I asked for my insulin or an ambulance again they turned the buzzer off!! At 10am I finally got insulin with my blood sugar being 31 !!

Can I make a complaint regarding this?
as well as making a complaint seek some legal advice on this. You have a medical condition that they should have 'paid attention to' irrelevant of what you are being held for.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I would file a complaint straight away and inform your MP. Its disgraceful and actually against the law!!!!!

Ermintrude775

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is shocking. Ignorance about what a condition is is not an excuse diabetics do not just need some sugar to survive.