1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Police Cells And No Insulin.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by dmcx3x, Aug 7, 2018.

1. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Remind me never to get arrested! that was atrocious 'duty of care' - the offending officers should have the book thrown at them. I do hope you are following this up through the proper channels - not just for you but for the next T1D who might not have survived the night like that.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

It makes me wonder what they do if someone is on a pump? They remove things to avoid suicide, but given how short acting insulin works in a pump, it would end up being a mess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hopefully if someone's on a pump they'd be able to conceal it? I'd also think that removing it without medical supervision might constitute some kind of assault - am happy to be corrected on that. @dmcx3x do let us know how you get on, this is truly truly shocking. Regardless of why anyone is in police custody, witholding insulin runs counter to the codes of all the organisations concerned eg the police, the BMA, the Home Office. It's the duty of the custody officer to ensure that conditions such as diabetes are established and to allow access to medication including insulin. I'd have been beside myself in this situation

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

From experience. They think about hypo's by offering a carby food and log the offer. Whether accepted or refused.
    However any more isn't offered unless you go unconscious. (eg an ambulance on a Saturday night in the uk).

Yes I agree it all needs reform. But won't be till LESSONS ARE LEARNT.
    Thank god you weren't the lesson they needed.

Ignorance while in their duty of care. Some bosses are the same.
    I pity any type1s working for the police that night. Look how they would be treated too?
    Well any type of diabetic.
    As a type2 a ready meal lasanya without insulin just flips the coin from hypo to hyper.
    Not all type2s produce their own insulin or sufficient.
    I too don't carry insulin on a night out as I don't drink and go out after teatime. I might take my meter thou. (in my bag which I presume gets confiscated).

Ive heard these stories before so I now wear a insulin dependant wristband. PINK.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That’s a real worry, especially as you don’t have any long acting insulin in your system - a few hours without your pump could kill you. I don’t know about a tubed pump, but I don’t think they’d be able to remove something like an Omnipod without a doctor being present, as they’d be leaving an open wound, albeit a very small one. How do they treat people with things like colostomy bags?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #45 LooperCat, Aug 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away here and assume that one alleged incident is normal police procedure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. jazzingit

jazzingit · Newbie

Who should the complaint be addressed? I had a worse experience with the police but my complaint to IPCC was ignored.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi,

Just to put stuff in perspective. (& recount my own experience.)

I've been arrested twice' Call it "misadventure & youthful exuberance." Both times respectively.
    Oddly i wasn't even restrained. Found both experiences rather civilised.
    The first time i was detained at the station & breathalysed. Released without charge after 4 hours. Well under the limit, the patrol thought i was trying to steal my own car. (Didn't do that again. )

The second time. i was "banged up" for 6 hours before interview. then released without charge. (Bit of a scuffle with a local known thug.)
    Whilst i was in the cell the officer in charge couldn't do enough for me.. Pretty much checking up & asking if i need anything every 30 minutes..

@dmcx3x , with the experience you had. A complaint should formally be made.

Wishing you all the best!

J>

• Like Like x 2
    #48 Jaylee, Aug 10, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

There have had to be several edits and deletions of posts for sweeping generalisations about our police forces. Please keep your comments and advice to the specifics of the OP. There are after all good and bad in all professions. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dmcx3x

dmcx3x Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I did and my insulin pen but all was confiscated so I wasn’t aloud to test my blood sugars until the nurse came to do it and that was at 10am

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. dmcx3x

Hi all , thanks for the replies. I haven’t wrote the email as yet to send away. I was doubting myself before I wrote on here I will definitely be doing it tomorrow. Thanks again x

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

surely this is breaking the equality act and discrimination on the grounds of disability as well as neglect and hence assault?

13. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

What's it have to do with equality?

14. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I would like to know that as well.

Queensland police are equal opportunity when it comes to getting sprayed in the face with capsicum spray, or getting tasered if you bad mouth them. Not sure about South Australia police as I have never been there.

Edit: Clarity.

#54 Tipetoo, Aug 13, 2018 at 3:44 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Did you cc your MP?

16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

That's how any bully makes you feel like. Not saying you felt bullied as only you know that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dmcx3x

Still have not heard anything back. Don’t think I will either

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Copernicus

Copernicus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What you fail to realise is that Police Officers are not allowed to administer or permit drugs to be taken by someone in their custody. The correct procedure is to call out the on call Doctor. If in the event of a long delay in that Doctor attending and the detained person is showing signs of obvious distress, then an ambulance should be called and the detained person taken to hospital accompanied by a police officer for treatment. You would not believe the number of detained persons who try to pull the wool over the eye of detention officers about the need for drugs or medication. Not saying this in your case but the police have to follow procedure. Can you imagine the outcry if they had handed over your insulin and you had taken a massive overdose. Who do you think would get the blame ? Not you, it would have been the custody officer.

19. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a helpful answer. Yes, that may be the correct procedure - but in this case that procedure was not followed, and not following it is a really bad idea for T1D people.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kyambala

Kyambala Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon dmcx3x. If you have written to al those people that I an others have mentioned and there is no reply - the next stage is the Press. Write a letter to ALL the National Newspapers - and if your MP has not replied - write to your LOCAL newspaper suggesting that your MP is "not doing his job" - SO WHY ARE WE VOTING FOR HIM.

It could well be that ALL of the people you are writing to will plead that "this is the holiday season" - but you NEED TO ACT whilst this thing is still hot. Try also to write to LOCAL RADIO and also WATCHDOG on TV.

Someone somewhere might agree eventually to interview you - BUT KEEP TRYING.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook