Type 2 Polyols

Carolkelly54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do polyps count as sugar, carbohydrate or both?
I regularly take a protein bar in place of a meal. Fulfil is the brand 20g protein <3g sugar and 13g polyols, carbs 15g, fibre 3.1g.
They have minimal affect on BS
Anyone know?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do polyps count as sugar, carbohydrate or both?
I regularly take a protein bar in place of a meal. Fulfil is the brand 20g protein <3g sugar and 13g polyols, carbs 15g, fibre 3.1g.
They have minimal affect on BS
Anyone know?

Polyols are technically a carb, although we can't digest them. Most folks find they have a negligible impact on blood sugars, but, as we're all different, you should test to see what happens to you

As an aside; you haven't done anything wrong, but you should have the ability to edit your own posts, if you make a mistake. The button to do that sits under your post, towards to right hand side of the screen.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, I avoid them. They don’t affect my BGs, but - how can I put this? - windy with regular toilet trips is probably the most polite way of putting it! This is a common side affect, apparently!

I don’t know why food manufacturers cans put sucralose (Splenda) in chocolates etc. It’s not too sweet and cooks well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat occasional protein bars with polyols as snacks. They don’t affect myblood sugars but some people find they do.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have a terrible effect on my blood glucose. I recently donated a box minus 1 to Rachox!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have a terrible effect on my blood glucose. I recently donated a box minus 1 to Rachox!
Thanks, much appreciated! I have to wait til my daughter’s back at Uni to eat them as the smell of peanut makes her nauseous :(

Reactions: xfieldok

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I avoid them. They don’t affect my BGs, but - how can I put this? - windy with regular toilet trips is probably the most polite way of putting it! This is a common side affect, apparently!

I don’t know why food manufacturers cans put sucralose (Splenda) in chocolates etc. It’s not too sweet and cooks well.
I agree re the polyols, but more and more science is showing that sucralose is not inert as previously claimed:

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article-abstract/108/3/485/5095505

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest caution - if possible.
Try part of a bar and see if, like me, your gut flora and fauna have a party on the polyols - mine certainly did and I thought that I was going to become Geography as I swelled up so much - fortunately the problem eventually resolved itself naturally but I have never eaten sugar alcohols, polyols and things of that ilk ever again.