Type 2 Pork and bacon

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
Is pork and bacon considered safe for diabetics? Does it have a good fat?

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Roast pork belly had worked out rather well for me over the last 2 years...
https://steemit.com/health/@kokhongw/eat-fats-burn-fats

image.png

But I am well aware that Dr Greger/Dr Neal Barnard/Dr Mcdougall etc completely disagree that animal fats induced glucose flatlining has any health benefits...

D

Deleted Account

I assume "good for diabetics" means does this affect your BG?

However, that is not the only thing to consider. What about whether it causes heart burn or whether you want to put on/lose weight or whether you are vegetarian or ...?
With all these things it depends on your body, how much you eat, how often you eat it, how you prepare it (sweet and sour pork will affect BG levels differently to roast port), ...

People with diabetes are all different with different tastes, different moral beliefs, different levels of insulin resistance, ...
To ask if a food type is "good for diabetics" is like asking whether watching TV is bad for children: it depends.

Sorry. My rant is over. I'll come down from my high horse and let you all get on with discussing carb content of pork and bacon.

Reactions: Olufisayo

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ok then is pork OK for non muslim, jewish, vegan/vegetarian and heartburn suffering diabetics who don't happen to limp are not left handed use belts not braces and still have all their teeth oh yes and do not suffer from baldness.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both are protein heavy, carb light, but the end effect is similar since protein gets converted into glucose, but the process is slower than for carbs. So eating a lot of protein may push bgl up later, so the advice to limit protein to 1g / kg body weight is probably a good one to take up.

Bacon and other preserved animal products tend to be heavily processed. In the old days, bacon was cured by salting and smoking it, but now it gets injected with nitrites and other preservative chemicals and flavours since this is a cheaper process to use by manufacturers. So if it is cheap, it is probably a chemical soup, and it is this that is giving bacon / sausages etc a bad press recently. There are warnings that red meat may be more harmful for us than other meats and there is a possible weak link to cancer for which the nitrites is the prime suspect. However, it is possibly Fake News.

Edit to add topicality: bacon also tends to be wrapped in plastic which contains BPA and if you defrost it in the pack in the microwave, then this may also be a cause for concern.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely only for those whose kidneys have already been affected?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intramyocellular_lipids

The jury appears to still be out on this being problem, The basis of the theory is some experiments done in vitro using specially bred rats in a lab, and so far there seems to be no in vivo studies involving humans.

Edit: Sorry, there seems to be this one which counteracts the scaremongering. I wonder who funded it?
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/86/5/1316/4651048

<<<<<
Supported by grant M01 RR-00032 from the National Center for Research Resources (to the General Clinical Research Center), by grant no. P30 DK056336 from the Children's Nutrition Research Center, and by Frito-Lay, Inc. <<<<<

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intramyocellular_lipids

The jury appears to still be out on this being problem, The basis of the theory is some experiments done in vitro using specially bred rats in a lab, and so far there seems to be no in vivo studies involving humans.

Edit: Sorry, there seems to be this one which counteracts the scaremongering. I wonder who funded it?
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/86/5/1316/4651048

Cheers. I do not have to take Belly pork in ginger off my 'safe' food list then. Good job as it is one of my favourite meals.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both are protein heavy, carb light, but the end effect is similar since protein gets converted into glucose, but the process is slower than for carbs.
I have been reading this forum for a bit over 2 years since I was diagnosed. I am sure there didn't used to be the number of mentions of converting protein to glucose that there are now. As I understand it the gluconeogenesis process only occurs when the body does not have sufficient glucose from other sources and so the question of protein causing an increase in blood sugar is probably only applicable to those on ketogenic diets. I am sure to make things as simple as possible, especially for those starting out on low carb diets, ignoring protein as a cause of blood sugar increase is good advice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Both are protein heavy, carb light, but the end effect is similar since protein gets converted into glucose, but the process is slower than for carbs. So eating a lot of protein may push bgl up later, so the advice to limit protein to 1g / kg body weight is probably a good one to take up.

Bacon and other preserved animal products tend to be heavily processed. In the old days, bacon was cured by salting and smoking it, but now it gets injected with nitrites and other preservative chemicals and flavours since this is a cheaper process to use by manufacturers. So if it is cheap, it is probably a chemical soup, and it is this that is giving bacon / sausages etc a bad press recently. There are warnings that red meat may be more harmful for us than other meats and there is a possible weak link to cancer for which the nitrites is the prime suspect. However, it is possibly Fake News.

Edit to add topicality: bacon also tends to be wrapped in plastic which contains BPA and if you defrost it in the pack in the microwave, then this may also be a cause for concern.
Were bacon is concerned I buy it from a local butcher he slices of rashers from a block of meat to whatever thickness you like and the meat is cured locally.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading this forum for a bit over 2 years since I was diagnosed. I am sure there didn't used to be the number of mentions of converting protein to glucose that there are now. As I understand it the gluconeogenesis process only occurs when the body does not have sufficient glucose from other sources and so the question of protein causing an increase in blood sugar is probably only applicable to those on ketogenic diets. I am sure to make things as simple as possible, especially for those starting out on low carb diets, ignoring protein as a cause of blood sugar increase is good advice.
Isn't it a design aim to reduce bgl either by meds or diet, so the discussion is of interest to many of us. It is probably of more interest to insulin users, since many now find they are having to apply a bolus to cover proteins. I find a protein heavy meal can easily spike me by 2 mmol/l or so, and it occurs at the 4 hr PP, but does not show on the 2 hr PP. So it is IMHO a significant driver of elevated but unexplained HBA1c.

There are also diets that increase protein instead of fat to allow TOFI like me to balance my weight at optimum when low carbing. Again, possibly one for advanced users here, not newbies, but not irrelevant.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An easy to read blog and a list of further reading

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html
Interesting article. I was worried about the assertion that protein triggers the insulin response. I was of the understanding that Stage 1 insulin response is triggered by amylase starting to decompose carbs in the mouth , and stage 2 insulin response happens about 20 mins later in the stomach. Protein digestion seems to occur mainly in the duodenum and colon, not in the stomach. This is why it occurs later after the meal, and also it is an inefficient process so slow. It does not create gallons of new glucose, but a small amount necessary to maintain brain and nervous system and essential services like breathing rather than muscles for bedtime olympics. One problem with those with IR is that it is the Stage 1 Insulin response that goes AWOL first i.e. carbs lose regulation first.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Bluetit1802