Pork Scratchings

pms543

Can anyone recommend a brand that is GLUTEN FREE as well as suitable for diabetics? Thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the Black Country scratchings, or those we make ourselves.

Best of all are from a street market in Thailand. Likely cooked in ancient vegetable or peanut oil, but I turned my blind eye to that !

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I love them but I think I would break my teeth on them lol

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like these golden Crunch which are lighter and easier on the teeth, and are gluten free I believe unless there's soem hidden int he seasoning but its not listed on the packet

Reactions: pms543

Caz141

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the curator, sainsbury sell them. soft on the crunch also.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Black Country Pork Scratchings. Not bought from them for a few months but I think it's just pigskin and salt, norhing else.
I’ve had them. Had no idea GF. Not bad. My wife does a nice cackling with the pork. Which does get snaffled up pretty quick.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had them. Had no idea GF. Not bad. My wife does a nice cackling with the pork. Which does get snaffled up pretty quick.
My butcher will sometimes get me a load of pigskin which makes nice home-made.

Reactions: Jaylee

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The skin from ham hock after the joint has been boiled makes good, soft with a slight crunch, scratchings. Especially if removed with some fat attached. Just dry it, season with salt and black pepper, and finish it in a hot oven for about 5-10 mins.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The skin from ham hock after the joint has been boiled makes good, soft with a slight crunch, scratchings. Especially if removed with some fat attached. Just dry it, season with salt and black pepper, and finish it in a hot oven for about 5-10 mins.

Yes.
I make crackling out of the skin/fat on a joint of ham. I cook it as normal, trim the fat off, then crackle it in the airfryer. Very, very, nice.

Reactions: Pipp