Porridge

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your comments MCMLXX11 - why sea salt ? I don't find that fruit sweetens anything, and I thought banana was the worst fruit for a diabetic - would be interested on comments/advice on these.

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just adding something to my previous post - have just looked up Stevie - it is SO expensive, the cheapest I found was a 270gm tub for £8-95, whereas a 1kg bag of sugar is less than a £, and as it is used spoon for spoon it works out approximately 33 X as expensive. As a pensioner this would be prohibitive. Maybe honey would be better - but is it ??

judyann1

Thanks for the link MCMLXIII - i dont really know what to do now having been on lo-salt for so many years - although i do not use a lot when i think about it. My blood sugar levels were great at my last Ha1bc but my liver readings werent so now im thinking of eating to improve my liver -reading a book by Sandra Caboot - anyone any comments for me? A second blood test 3 weeks later came back with better results but not perfect.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
judyann1 said:
Thanks for the link MCMLXIII - i dont really know what to do now having been on lo-salt for so many years - although i do not use a lot when i think about it. My blood sugar levels were great at my last Ha1bc but my liver readings werent so now im thinking of eating to improve my liver -reading a book by Sandra Caboot - anyone any comments for me? A second blood test 3 weeks later came back with better results but not perfect.
You're welcome.
I can remember my folks buying low salt back in the 80`s.
A trend i continued with my kids for a few years more too.
I had all the right signs from my last hb1ac, except high triglycerides.
Having mage the switch to sea salt these went down from 5.2 to 2.3, still high but a marked improvement.
Wad the salt to blame?
I really cant say, but the proof is in the pudding and there may be a vein of truth somewhere in the water cure ( water and sea salt) .
Pinch of salt though eh? X:smile:

Ps: dr stuarts teas do a liver detox tea which tastes apalling but kick started my recovery without doubt ( fatty liver).

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

bmorgen

Just to be clear - while porridge is low-med GI, it is still a lot of carbs. So the best way to serve it is with the least amount of porridge! Cut your oat portion in half, add nuts, and seeds to make up for the lost oats. The increased proportion of fats and protein, plus the reduction in carb by limiting the oats, will have a dramatic impact on your post-breakfast BG. You can also add a half teaspoon of agave or fruit sugar to make it nicer. Both are low GI sugars and taste nicer than Splenda. If you want a lot of sweetness, then add Splenda as well - the mix of Splenda and fruit sugar is nicer than pure Splenda. Recent research from Spain on walnuts indicates that it is a very heart-healthy way to get some fat in your diet. And walnuts are very tasty.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Walnuts apparently can prevent heart disease/attacks.
The food Doctor do a porridge that's half seeds.
Its pricey but nice.
B & m`s sometimes get it cheap.:smile:

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Following on from posts here over last few days....went to the Supermarket today - still feel Truvia is too expensive so bought much cheaper shop's own granulated sweetener containing Maltodextrin and Sucralose, only 0.5 g carbs per teassppon. However, time and taste will tell ...... and the possible side affects on my delicate tum ! Have also switched to sea salt as suggested. Thanks all for your advice and suggestions.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons usually has stevia on offer x

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've weaned myself off sweetener in my porridge now and add cinnamon instead - its supposed to help lower BG and the oats hardly touch my levels :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
judyann1 said:
And ive just found it online so im off to buy some today!
There are 2 detox varieties, the standard and the specific liver.be warned, it tastes awful but by I swear it helped me.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
judyann1 said:
Ok thank you again MCMLXXIII -sea salt it is

Sea salt is captured by evaporating sea water and contains much more than sodium chloride. The most important trace element is iodine. Iodine is so important that it is added to table salt. Without it people can develop a condition known as goiter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goitre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_deficiency

Seafoods, shellfish, small boney fish, oily fish and edible plants typically found in brackish areas such as samphire contain many of the trace elements that we need.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Off topic i know but when reading about toxins , i discovered shark meat can have high mercury levels and is best avoided..
Or stick to salmon!

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
I usually have 50g of Jordans jumbo large flake oats, with a sprinkle of cinnamon, a few almonds(6 or so) and the same in walnut halfs, then boiling water , i then let it stand while i make the tea, , usually need 2 to 3 units of insulin with this, and that takes me to about 10 am,

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like Apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon sweetener with my porridge. X

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jordans jumbo oats here too!