Porridge

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I also tried dessicated coconut in mine - it gives a lovely creamy taste!

rinfrance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have put my recipe on here before, however, do NOT use packets of oats, they invariably been processed to cook quicker (a con) use just rolled oats they are less than half the carbs of wheat and higher in roughage also they tear the guts out of colesterol. The doctors cannot believe mine are so low.
However, 1/2 cup or a bit more of rolled oats, just about a cup of either half creme or totally no fat, small handful raisins or currants, level "t" spoon of nutmeg and possibly cinammon.
Bring to boil SLOWLY and stir.
When bubbling its done.
You may leave it bubbling a bit longer whilst stirring for a smoother porridge.
No salt, no sugar, in fact nothing bad.

Finzi

Definitely agree not to use the little sachets of oats. They've been processed to death, they often have added sugar, they offer absolutely no benefit over whole oats whatsoever. They sell themselves as being quick to cook in the microwave at 2 minutes. Well, guess what, I put my whole rolled oats and milk in a bowl and microwave them for ... yes .... 2 minutes ;)

I only use 20g of oats currently, and bulk up with flax, ground almonds and seeds. The recommended 40g serving spiked me too much.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
I have porridge quite regularly, the large oat type, to which I add bran and linseeds. Has anyone tried making porridge from rye flakes? You need to keep it cooking for about 30 minutes, but it is worth it. Before my diagnosis, the sweet sachets of smooth porridge were part of my downfall I reckon. I would have two or three to make up a bowl. I sometimes add just a spoonful of honey to my "real" porridge these days! Much healthier!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ready Brek, Oats so simple
There you go folks.
Named and shamed.
(Avoid.)
A monsoon in a petticoat.:lol:

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
I have recently started cracking an egg into my porridge. I thought it would be a quick and easy way to add some protein, as my porridge morning routine is well established now. All you need to do is stir it in, and I break up the yolk as I go, although you could pre-whisk or leave out the yolk if you are just doing the egg white thing. After I thought of adding the egg, I have to confess,I did check online to see if other people did the same thing. It is always interesting to read body building forums; and at least I am not cracking up! The egg adds a rich, creamy taste to the porridge and I found no improvement with two eggs, so for me, one egg is un oeuf (enough)!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

joaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can reduce sugar in porridge by using cinnamon and nutmeg to add flavour. With that and sweetened soy milk, half a teaspoon of sugar is enough.

I'd go for Lo Salt.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
joaker said:
You can reduce sugar in porridge by using cinnamon and nutmeg to add flavour. With that and sweetened soy milk, half a teaspoon of sugar is enough.

I'd go for Lo Salt.

Ouch . Heard bad things about the lo-salt, switched to sea salt with no problems.

TonyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Dentist, Politician, Yogurt (to me gone off milk) Liver
I agree with IzzzI "Scott's Old Fashioned Porridge Oats" is best!

Checked details on a number of offerings from a well known UK super market with regards to Oats, the above would seem healthier
I add 1 x heaped teaspoon of ground cinnamon, milk then microwave for 2 x mins

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Porridge:

40g Mornflake rolled Oats
5g ground flax seed
300ml skimmed milk
about 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 sachet Truvia (I have been known to forget that)
NO Salt!

Served up with a portion of berries.

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew S, been looking for a way to increase the protein and, hence, reduce the effective GI of the meal I might try that!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The only porridge I like is the one with Ronnie Barker and Richard Beckinsale :wink:

RRB :)

renee

Regarding Porridge! Iv'e had it for breakfast all of my life. am now 86yrs old. Also I have a teaspoon of Rowse honey on it. no milk. I use scotts oats . Its not done me any harm. also I sometimes have a slice of toast with it. I was raised on porridge and I still like it. :clap:

A

Anonymous

renee said:
Regarding Porridge! Iv'e had it for breakfast all of my life. am now 86yrs old. Also I have a teaspoon of Rowse honey on it. no milk. I use scotts oats . Its not done me any harm. also I sometimes have a slice of toast with it. I was raised on porridge and I still like it. :clap:

Good on you. I like mine 'dry' too. I just put a small squidge of milk in and microwave for 3 minutes. The milk is totally absorbed and I could fill in the cracks in my walls with it. I prefer a bit of 'crunch' as I find it more satisfying with the obligatory banana or apple on it.

theblisspages

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my porridge with ginger and cinnamon, adding some dried nuts and fruits to taste, and sometimes a sliced banana...

A

Anonymous

theblisspages said:
I make my porridge with ginger and cinnamon, adding some dried nuts and fruits to taste, and sometimes a sliced banana...
Ginger and cinnamon sound good. I sometimes mix with dried fruit & chopped nuts for muesli style.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best way to make porridge is to dig a deep hole in the ground in the early evening and then light a fire, throwing on some good sized logs. When there's a good blaze going, throw some soil on top, 1 to 2 inches deep to quench the flames. Then, place your porridge pot on top with a firmly fitting lid. Fill in the sides with soil and add another 3 or 4 inches of soil on top. The charcoals will smoulder slowly under the earth but, due to a lack of oxygen, it will not ignite. The porridge will cook very slowly which completely changes its texture. If you use some of the milk substitutes, such as Koko, it will give it a slight flavour of caramel. Next morning, carefully dig the pot out and enjoy.

Alternatively get a slow cooker, put the porridge in a small bowl with its own lid, inside the slow cooker bowl and cook on low overnight. More convenient but less woodsmanlike.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yorksman said:
Best way to make porridge is to dig a deep hole in the ground in the early evening and then light a fire, throwing on some good sized logs. When there's a good blaze going, throw some soil on top, 1 to 2 inches deep to quench the flames. Then, place your porridge pot on top with a firmly fitting lid. Fill in the sides with soil and add another 3 or 4 inches of soil on top. The charcoals will smoulder slowly under the earth but, due to a lack of oxygen, it will not ignite. The porridge will cook very slowly which completely changes its texture. If you use some of the milk substitutes, such as Koko, it will give it a slight flavour of caramel. Next morning, carefully dig the pot out and enjoy.

Seems a bit extreme Yorksman, think I'll stick with the hob for my porridge :lol:

Seriously though I'm tempted to try the suggestion earlier about breaking a egg in whilst stirring the porridge, I'm curious what it tastes like but don't want to spoil my breakfast if it doesn't work :crazy:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
Seems a bit extreme Yorksman, think I'll stick with the hob for my porridge :lol:

But if you put your blanket over it too and then sleep over it in your sleeping bag, you have a lovely warm spot all night.

Earth ovens and cooking pits belong to the very first types of oven and are still used in some parts.

510px-Maori_earth_oven.svg.png

Here's one for cooking a salmon:

F50D8D3F6B7STNG.LARGE.jpg

Cheaper and more traditional than an Aga.

A

Anonymous

noblehead said:

My idea of cooking porridge .... 3 minutes ... just enough time for a pee in the woods (whilst looking out for ticks!) :shifty: :oops: :crazy: My son tells me they are one of the earliest methods of cooking foods and precede McDonalds. Many people ran the risk of radiation from microwave leakage until JML came up with a microwave tester.

W1A8kxavRaCG9CWRyUDDXe5YM17S74RLEbac4tgNFiY=s164-p-no

mgbgt57

I'm currently living in northern Italy, but have a daily portion of a cup of Waitrose Organic Oats for breakfast with a cup of organic milk and a cup of water. I chop a little pear and apple into the mix before cooking and add a sprinkle of cinnamon for the cholesterol (and the flavour!) Sometimes I add a spoon of Agave "honey". My sugars are down around 6 at the mo.

Its 36 Celsius today - but I still started the day with porridge.