Groovegal

Hi all

I was put on antidepressant in January and realised I had increased apetite/weight gain. I'm 5ft 4 and normally sit around 10 stone -10,4.

I recently bought new jeans and they were tight so when I got back from my holiday I weighed myself and have gained almost 1.5 stone.Now weigh 11st 7.I decided to do something about my weight and have been on a sensible 1500 calorie per day diet for just a few days

After a 20 minute walk yesterday became very weak and felt unbelievably hungry. I thought maybe low blood sugar. I've had a few similar episodes recently despite not skipping any meals

So I purchased a meter to check if my blood sugar was low. Fasting glucose today after 9 hour fast 7.1 nmol. I figured my doctor won't take my home reading seriously so whilst still fasted I went to local pharmacy who offers testing. The woman took several attempts and couldnt get a reading (I think because she was bending the test strip. Finally they got 7.4 told me to call my doctor which I will tomorrow as I'm working today.

Are these borderline? Or type 2 readings?

Also if my blood glucose is normal or even high why these episodes of weakness/crazy hunger which seem better after something sugary?

Thanks for reading

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Random testing will tell you little I'm afraid. See your GP and ask for a HbA1c, telling him of your recent weight gain and remindinding him of your present medications.

Your episodes of weakness may be down to the fact that you have lowered your calorie intake.

Good Luck.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some antidepressants are known for facilitating weight gain.. I'd start looking online for references to your particular brand.

Groovegal

Hi yeah the antidepressant I'm on is associated with weight gain.

I checked these levels and they do seem to just hit type 2 levels