Post Op out of control BG readings.

aimeeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently have just got home from a liver resection surgery and my bloods are now out of control, I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this or has any clues? Ben T1 insulin controlled

D

Deleted Account

I’ve not had the same surgery as you but did have surgery that affected my levels last year.
The surgery caused stress (not surprisingly) which pushed my BG up. This was probably exaggerated by sitting around resting rather than my manic gym sessions.
I increased my basal by 40% after a bit of trial and error and found this helped to bring my BG down.
I tested a lot to ensure this extra insulin was still needed and reduced it after about 2 weeks.

Good luck with your recovery.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
hi

i had surgery several time the last one being a burst appendix which made me very sick and costed me 10 days in hospital. It took me a while to get back to normal. I can image having an op on your liver which is an organ that plays an important part in th e glucose process taking time too. Tried to relax and discuss it with your care team/surgeon.

Reactions: Levy
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I recently have just got home from a liver resection surgery and my bloods are now out of control, I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this or has any clues? Ben T1 insulin controlled

Hi Ben, yes I have had 2 operations and a couple of other medical problems which related to very BS, it very common I'm afraid. I had to take a little more Insulin and keep checking your BS and adjust accordingly. It may take a little time for you to get them stabilised, but the main priority for now is to get yourself on the road to recovery and not to get too anxious or stressed.
Get well soon and take care :)