Post Your Recipes Here!

martinbuchan

Pearl Barley Risotto

Rice has a high GI for me (even brown). Had barley risotto last year in my local restauant. Just got round to making it myself.

Used a mixture of tips from Jamie and Heston. Just use Pearl Barley instead of the rice.

Takes about twice as long to finish off.

I though i was being cagey with my novorapid- took 18 units. Hypo'd 2 hours later (for me- a similar amount of rice would need about 30 units). Next day had some again at work between cases and needed only 8 units- perfectly fine BS after.

Tremendously filling and very similar texture. Just takes a wee bit longer to cook.

Doing it again tomorrow- with mushrooms. Made a veg stock tonight for Worrell-Thompson's tagine/couscous in 2 days time. Will use spare stock to cook the various types of mushroom and use as the broth to cook the risotto barley.

Amazed at how little insulin I need for this barley risotto.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Re: Recipes.

Hallo, Martin. That sounds like a good tip so I'll give it a try. Our local Italian restaurant does a superb truffle risotto when the trufle season is in full swing and I feel really disappointed when it's on the menu and I have to pass it by.
The wild mushroom season is fast approaching, so I'll make some risotto with the cepes or other types of fungi.
I'll post the results here when I do.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

A delicious classic.
All ingredients available at my favourite store( Lidl). Growing your own basil on the window ledge, makes your kitchen smell delicious
Tomatoes with mozzarella
cheese and basil
Ripe tasty tomatoes sliced "across" into 1/2 centimetre thick rounds
Low fat (or normal) mozzarella cheese sliced about the samw thickness
pesto,
balsamic vinegar
Basil leaves
Arrange tomato rounds onto plates and put cheese slice on top of each round.
drizzle balsamic vinegar and pesto over and sprinkle torn basil leaves
this is a fresh tasting starter or light supper and almost carb free.
Declaration
I don't own any Lidl shares ( or any shares)

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Here's a recipe for making a Salade Nicoise. Very useful because you can make it with anything you have in the fridge at the time (within reason). And there are no hard and fast quantities so that you can make up the salad according to the number of people you are feeding. Carbs? No.

Salade Nicoise (so-called because it originated in Nice, southern France)

Crisp lettuce leaves, torn into shreds
String beans, blanched in boiling water for 2 minutes then rinsed in cold water
Tomatoes, cut into wedges
Radishes, cut into wedges or sliced
Olives, black or green, stoned
Can of tuna in brine
1 hard boiled egg per person, cut into wedges
Olive oil
Wine vinegar
Pepper
Salt

Put the lettuce, beans, tomatoes, radishes and olives into a salad bowl. Pour on around 3 tbsps olive oil and around 1 tbsp wine vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix until everything is coated in the oil and vinegar. Arrange the wedges of egg around the edge of the salad. Flake the tuna with a fork and then pile into the centre of the salad. Serve with a dry red or white wine and lengths of French bread. Since there are no carbs you indulge yourself with a piece of white bread.

And a tip for hard boiling eggs. If the yolks in your hard boiled eggs are surrounded by a black smelly ring, you are boiling too long. For perfect hard boiled eggs, bring the eggs to room temperature then place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to just simmering. Cook for 8 minutes after the water boils. Then remove and place under running cold water for several minutes. Your eggs will have perfect golden yolks.

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

was wondering about fish meals, about how much/or how many fish meals,
can you eat , say over a week , as i have only ever seen 2/3 potions recomended, and i love fish,

ChocFish said:
Lynn - do a search for Rick Stein on http://www.uktvfood.co.uk, he does some really yummy fish dishes, also here is a link with loads of pages to search for fish recipes http://uktv.co.uk/food/search/searchArea/566/?q=fish

Re fishpie, just try it either with cauliflower mash or celeriac mash, it is different but still nice, make the mash with a bit of grated nutmeg, salt, pepper and butter.

All the best to you and yours

Karen x

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

http://www.1click2cook.co.uk/

Check this site out , maybe usefull

Would like to say, thank you , for all the recipes posted,
havnt done any yet, just collecting at mo ,
BUT WILL CERTAINLY TRY SOME OF THEM OUT
CHEERS JEENIE

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Oxtail soup
This is one of my favourite soups so when I found fresh oxtail last week on our local supermarket meat counter I happily bought a packet and fished out an old recipe for the soup from an ancient copy of Mrs Beeton. I browned the pieces of oxtail, added vegetables, covered with stock and simmered for 5 hours as described in the book. It needed simmering for an hour more but it had a thick film of grease floating on top. I removed the oxtail pieces from the soup, trimmed as much of the fat away as possible, cut the meat away from the bone (a long, long task), then left the pot to cool down. The next morning the grease had solidified into a thick layer on top which I was able to lift out and discard. I then put the soup into the blender and gave it a good whizz. It tasted all right, not great but all right. I thought I could improve on the recipe and cut down the simmering time and the hard work in removing the meat from the bones so I have come up with a much better recipe - here it is.

Recipe for Oxtrail Soup
1 can of oxtail soup

Open can, empty contents into pan, heat until just before it boils. Serve. Eat.

A great improvement, I must say :oops:

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have copied and pasted this from a web page I have come across
wonder if it could be helpfull/ usefull 1Click2Cook .com
BASICLY IT GIVES YOU MENU CHOICES, OPTIONS FOR INGREDIENTS,
AND YOUR OWN PERSONAL SHOPPING LIST
for eg: low carbing, you can delete all these foods, such as bread /pasta/rice etc

Would be interested on your comments :)

My selected recipe options
Paprika pork with a greek salad
Description: Lovely combination of flavours
Food Groups: meat Price band: medium
Useful information: low carb, 4/day serving, greek, spicy Preparation time: 5
Cooking ability: straightforward Hands-off time: 0
Recipe makes: 2 portion(s) Cooking time: 15
Utensils:

Instructions
1. Sprinkle the chops with paprika. Heat 1/4 of the oil in a frying pan; cook the pork until it's browned on both sides and cooked through (12 minutes approximately.)
2. Meanwhile, combine the peppers, tomato, cheese, juice, parsley and remaining oil in a bowl; toss gently.
3. Serve the chops with the salad and our suggested accompaniment.

Ingredients
Amount Name Optional
2.25 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 medium fresh tomato, chopped coarsely
0.5 tbsp lemon juice
1 medium red pepper, deseeded & finely chopped
1 tsp ground paprika
2 medium boneless chops pork
1 large green pepper, deseeded & finely chopped
4 oz iceburg lettuce, roughly shredded
4 oz feta cheese, diced into 2cm pieces
1 tbsp fresh parsley flat green, chopped

suggested accompaniment. french bread of course this can be optional

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Cumin chicken with avocado salad

Description: slightly Mexican flavour
Food Groups: poultry Price band: medium
Useful information: spicy, low carb, low fat, 3/day serving Preparation time: 10
Recipe makes: 2 portion(s) Cooking time: 15
Utensils:

Instructions
1. Mix together the oil, chilli, and cumin in a large bowl and then coat the chicken in this mixture.
2. Fry the chicken (don't use any extra oil) for a few mins each side.
3. Toss the tomatoes in any of the mixture left in the bowl and then add them to the pan. Cover and cook for a further 5 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile toss the avocado, coriander, lettuce and onion in the Caesar salad dressing and put on plates ready to serve. Sprinkle beans over the salad.
5. Scatter the tomatoes into the salad, slice the warm chicken and place it on top.
6. Serve with our suggested accompaniment.

Ingredients
Amount Name Optional
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 medium breasts of chicken
7 oz tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
0.25 tsp dried flakes of chilli
2.75 tsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
4 oz iceburg lettuce
7 oz cherry tomato, halved if large
1 tsp ground cumin
1 large fresh avocado, peeled and thickly sliced
2.75 tbsp ceasar dressing

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Muffin Salmon Burgers
Description: Delicious alternative to tradition!
Food Groups: fish Price band: low
Useful information: low carb, low salt, 1 / day serving, seafood Preparation time: 5
Recipe makes: 2 portion(s) Cooking time: 12
Utensils:

Instructions
1. Fry the onion over a medium heat until translucent. Add the lemon juice and increase to high for 4 minutes, until the juice has almost evaporated. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
2. Put the salmon in a food processor or mix by hand, until it is coarsely ground. Add in the spring onion mixture. Mix in the dill and pepper and enough egg to bind, without making it wet. make into patties.
3. Heat the oil in the pan and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes each side.
4. Serve these in between the muffin and with the suggested accompaniment.

Ingredients
Amount Name Optional
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 spring onion, finely chopped
4.25 tbsp lemon juice
1 medium eggs
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
9 oz fresh tail of salmon, cut into 2.5cm pieces
season to taste ground black pepper, season to taste
2 freshy baked muffin

Suggested Accompaniments
Mixed salad2 portion(s)

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

My wife and I are off to South Africa at the weekend but we're not taking the laptop with us in case it goes walkabout while we're there so I'll be out of touch for a few weeks. Meanwhile, here's a couple of tips that might be useful. The first one is for jazzing up a salad - if you have nasturtiums growing in your garden, take a handful of the freshest, greenest leaves and chop them coarsely. Add to whatever kind of fresh salad you are making. They will add a lovely peppery tang.
For cheese lovers who aren't familar with it, Reblochon is a cows' cheese from the Savoy region of France and is deliciously creamy. (Fergus will love it if he doesn't already know it :D ).
If you only know parmesan cheese in its grated form, then try eating it in chunks. It will give a delicious tingle in your mouth and goes well with most alcoholic drinks.
See you all in September.

Reactions: 2 people

Tigerhair

Delicious sauce for gammon, chicken, etc.

Cook the gammon or chicken in a pan (with oil), until it's browned (and partially cooked through if it's chicken), add 300ml approx of cider or low carb beer and reduce until thickened up (about 20 mins) on simmering heat. Cook vegetables at this point. About 5 mins before serving, add double cream to taste and maybe a little pepper - no salt if you're using gammon. Heat through and serve.

Katharine

A site I use frequently is http://www.carb-lite.au.com

My most recent chocolate mousse was from this site and the best chocolate brownie recipe I have made is from Karen Barnaby's "Low carb gourmet.

The best tip is to use at least some real chocolate in the recipes and I prefer the egg yolk mousses compared to the gelatin mousses.

Reactions: 3 people

Dr. Nic

the easiest yummiest recipe....they are like chocolate rice crispy cakes but much healthier!!

Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate 100g
3 shredded wheat biscuits (crushed)

mix all together and spoon into paper cup cake cases. Leave to set and then enjoy, but don't eat all at once as they are very very morish if you love dark choc!!!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

recipe from the vegetarian low carb book by rose elliott

she named it almond bark or something but I think it's just incredibly moreish

high in fat though ;)

85grammes coconut oil - gently melted
2 tbsp no sugar cocoa powder (the good stuff)
65grammes ground nuts (she suggests almonds)
2 tbsp your chosen granulated sweetener

mix it all up really well (won't be perfectly smooth), whang it in a freezer-safe container (I lined mine in foil to stop it welding itself down) and freeze for half an hour ... take it out, break it up and gorge yourself senseless. wwell, that's one option, you could be more restrained and have "some" as a nice treat. yes it's loaded with saturated fat, but it's not trans and it's entirely natural ... enjoy! I did and so did my (non-diabetic) kid and his mate :):) if it passes the four-year-old test I'm pretty sure it could work for you!

xxx

Reactions: 2 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

I've just bought the "Low Carb Cookbook" from Tescos for £3.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

ahhaaa - I'm off to Tesco's tomorrow - any scope for vegetarian adaptation.

personally HATE tofu ... keep trying it every couple months or so but still = blargh!

so anything I can adapt is good, but if the book is packed with beef strips smouldered in a ham sauce over a bed of road kill, I might not bother!

cheeers for the heads up!

x

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

Jem said:
ahhaaa - I'm off to Tesco's tomorrow - any scope for vegetarian adaptation.

personally HATE tofu ... keep trying it every couple months or so but still = blargh!

so anything I can adapt is good, but if the book is packed with beef strips smouldered in a ham sauce over a bed of road kill, I might not bother!

cheeers for the heads up!

x
18 pages of vegetarian savouries & with the desserts veg is over 1/3 of the book.

Jem

Dislikes

thanks hun - defo worth a look then! :)

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

By the greatest good luck my wife and I have friends in northern California. They are off to Australia for three months to visit their son and his family and they have asked if we would house-sit for them and look after their cat. Now who is going to turn down the chance of 3 months in California in the dead of a European winter? We thought it over for 5 seconds and said yes, so we're off on Tuesday.
In the meantime here are a couple of recipes involving lentils which I've adapted from a dish I had in Spain a while ago.

Puy lentils with asparagus

150 gms puy lentils
1 chicken stock cube or vegetable stock cube
3 or 4 spears of asparagus
a couple of handfuls of frozen peas
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of plain low fat yoghurt

Put the lentils into a pan and cover with about twice their volume of cold water. Break up the stock cube and add to the lentils. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. In the meantime, cut the asparagus into approx. 1 inch lengths. After the lentils have been simmering for 10 minutes add the asparagus. The lentils should take about 20 minutes, by which time most of the water will have been absorbed. If there's still a lot of water, increase the heat and boil it off, stirring frequently. When the water has been reduced to almost nothing, add the peas and season with the salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and add the yoghurt a little at a time (this should prevent the yoghurt splitting), stirring to incorporate it.
I divide this onto 4 plates and smooth it flat. I then lay a nice cod or haddock fillet (or any white fish of your choice) across the top of the bed of lentils. You can substitute shrimp, lobster or crab for the fish, depending on your taste (or wallet)

Chana dal

You can substitute this dish instead of the puy lentil dish described above. British supermarkets now sell chana dal or you can get them in any Asian grocery.

225 gms chana dal
1.15 litres water
1 tsp turmeric
2 slices of fresh ginger
1 tsp garam masala
1 small dried chili crushed
coriander leaves, chopped
salt

Soak the chana dal for a couple of hours if you can (it reduces the cooking time) then drain and add them with the water into a largish saucepan. Bring to the boil and skim off the scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and add the ginger and the turmeric, stirring the pot well. Let the lentils simmer until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. Most of the water should have been absorbed by now. Add the garam masala and the crushed chili. Add salt to taste, sprinkle the coriander leaves over the top. Voila - a tandoori chicken breast laid across the top of a bed of chana dal is heaven on earth.

Happy eating.