Post Your Recipes Here!

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
Re: Recipes.

Fergus, here's something you might enjoy. I had it in Kuching on one of our travels and I've been refining this recipe ever since. Here is my final effort. It calls for coconut milk, but if that's too sweet for you put 3 or 4 heaped tablespoons of dessicated coconut into a measuring jug and fill to just over the half pint mark with boiling water. Leave to infuse for 2 hours, then strain, squeezing all the fluid out. Discard the cocounut and reserve the fluid.

Sarawak Laksa

2 tbs corn oil
3 slices of fresh ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
cayenne pepper to taste
3 spring onions, sliced
1 skinned chicken breast, sliced into half-inch chunks
100 gms peeled shrimps
1 small can of bamboo shoots
1 small can of water chestnuts, sliced
100 gms Dreamfields linguine (this is a substitute for rice noodles)
1 can of coconut milk or a half pint of infused coconut as described above
1 good handful of bean sprouts
salt

Heat the oil in a wide bottomed pan over medium heat, then add the ginger, spices and spring onions, cooking gêntly but taking care not to burn. Add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes. If the spices start to burn, add a little water. Add the shrimps, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, stir and cook for another two minutes then add the coconut milk and the linguine, bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Leave to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the linguine is al dente. Season with salt, add the bean sprouts and serve immediately.

If you want to make this for guests you can prepare it in advance up to adding the salt. When it's time to serve, bring back to simmering, add the bean sprouts and serve.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Czech meatloaf
this makes a lovely "roast" Pretty enough for visitors and good cold.
500g minced beef ( not too lean)
25o.g minced pork
2slices bread finelycrumbed
I medium onion finely chopped
2cloves garlic crushed
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
few rashers streaky bacon
little oil
combine meats, onion, garlic, 1/2 the bread and egg thoroughly in a bowl
Pat mix into a rough loaf shape.
roll in remaining breadcrumbs
Put in roasting pan
Decorate with strips of bacon
Put a cupful of water into the bottom of the roastin pan.
"bake"/ roast at 180deg C for about 45 minutes. It's done if juices run clear, whenskewer is pushed into the middle
Serve with Czech red cabbage, or any veg of choice
Should be accompanied by Czech dumplings, but they are too high in carbs.

Thirsty

I'm a seafood fan. This recipe works wonderfully and is relatively inexpensive to prepare.

Mussels with coconut milk broth.

Ingredients

1 lemongrass stalk halved and bruised
2 inch piece of ginger root, grated
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed and made into a paste
2 tablespoons oil
1 scotch bonnet chili finely chopped
1 can of coconut milk
3 & 1/2 pounds of live mussels (cleaned and debearded)
1 cup of vegetable stock

Method

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic until golden.

Add the ginger, lemongrass, chili, coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to the boil.

Reduce the heat, cover tightly and simmer for around 20 minutes.

Remove the lemongrass, return to a boil, add the mussels, cover and cook for around 4 minutes until all the mussels are open. Discard any that remain closed.

Serve the mussels in bowls with the sauce spooned over them.

This should serve 4 but I'm a pig and eat them all myself. :D

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Jem said:
recipe from the vegetarian low carb book by rose elliott

she named it almond bark or something but I think it's just incredibly moreish

high in fat though ;)

85grammes coconut oil - gently melted
2 tbsp no sugar cocoa powder (the good stuff)
65grammes ground nuts (she suggests almonds)
2 tbsp your chosen granulated sweetener

mix it all up really well (won't be perfectly smooth), whang it in a freezer-safe container (I lined mine in foil to stop it welding itself down) and freeze for half an hour ... take it out, break it up and gorge yourself senseless. wwell, that's one option, you could be more restrained and have "some" as a nice treat. yes it's loaded with saturated fat, but it's not trans and it's entirely natural ... enjoy! I did and so did my (non-diabetic) kid and his mate :):) if it passes the four-year-old test I'm pretty sure it could work for you!

xxx

Hi Jem

Just wondered do you have the cal and CHO values for this if poss? It sounds yum!

Many Thanks

Louise

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

I haven't worked it out babe because despite giving amounts I don't usually cook withexact measurements ;) - I'll work it out for ya next time I make it - it will NOT be low calorie I can tell ya that much ;)

xox

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Fruit foam
You need a good fast blender.
First put your chosen fruit into a narrow jug and whizz until pureed.
Add a couple of eggwhites and a spoonful or so of chosen granular sweetenr and whirr until the eggwhite forms a foam in the fruit puree.
Whip some cream separately and fold in. Or use squirtycream. Garnish with a whole piece of fruit.
Suggested fruits, dried apricots reconstituted., strawberries, raspberries, apple, blue berries.
You can work out the carbs easily from tables.
this is pretty enough to serve to dinner guests.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Hachee

This is a recipe that is made on cold days in Holland. Normally this would be served with lots of
boiled potatoes. I have taken to serving it with plenty of cauliflower.

1 kilo of beef cubed
ground cloves
1 very large onion chunk cut
beef oxo
sprinkle of flour
oil
vinegar

the day before dust beef in ground cloves all meat to have a good coating.

Heat up the oil in a frying pan that has a fitted lid. Brown meat then add onions to mixture.
crumble oxo into jug and add rougly a pint of boiling water.
sprinkle flour onto mixture to soak up any oil then add oxo water.
bring to boil then lower to simmer. Add vinegar ( a good slug)
You could also add a bayleaf or 2 just remove before serving
Half hour before serving add a spoon of brown suger.

Even better eaten the next day. Can be frozen.

Thirsty

My Jamaican wife introduced me to jerk seasoning, which I absolutely adore. Only recommended for the fire-eaters, it works well with poultry, meat, fish and even quorn/tofu if you're a vegetarian.

There are several commercially available versions of this marinade, (I prefer Walkerswood and Dunn's River products), or you can make your own using this recipe.

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Recipe

This is a classsic Jamaican recipe that dates back to the original inhabitants of Jamaica, the Carib-Arawak Indians who used this method of spicing for pit-cooked meats.
Ingredients:

For the Dry Powder:
1 tbsp ground allspice
1 tbsp dried thyme
1½ tsp Cayenne pepper
1½ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
1½ tsp ground sage
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp habanero or Scotch bonnet powder

For the Fresh Mix:
2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 Habanero (or Scotch Bonnet) chilli
3 spring onions, finely chopped
225g finely-chopped onion

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Preparation:

Method:

If making a dry spice blend then simply mix all the herbs and spices together and store in an air-tight jar. If, however, you are making a fresh blend then de-seed and finely chop the Habañero pepper, then in a large bowl combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic and sugar then add the Habañero peppers and the onion.

This mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days and makes an excellent rub for fish and meats. However, if you want to use the mixture as a marinade stir-in 100ml orange juice, 4 tbsp lime juice, 6 tbsp oil and 2 tbps soy sauce.

I've found that using this as a marinade gives far better results than a dry spice rub.

To use, simply score your chosen ingredient fairly deeply, coat it thoroughly but sparingly with the mixture and leave in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least four hours. Then grill/oven cook/BBQ as you would normally.

Delicious served with lemon juice and salad, (the traditional Jamaican accompaniments are quite high carb and wouldn't suit many here.)

Reactions: lorraine95

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.

Northern California is seafood heaven and one of the local specialities I've discovered is Cioppino, a dish of shellfish in a tomato broth. It seems to have originated in San Francisco. The recipe looks complicated at first glance, but if you have the ingredients to hand it shouldn't be difficult. I won't take up space with the recipe here but just advise you to enter the word cioppino into Google and hit the search button. You're bound to find a recipe that suits you.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi Guys,

Would anyone mind if we replicated these recipes in the recipe archive on site? We will link back to this thread. Cheers,

Admin

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

I FINALLY got around to doing some sums for a slightly modified recipe:

Coconut Chocolate Stuff ... or "Almond Bark" by Rose Elliott!

100 grammes coconut oil (Always use virgin pressed)
100 grammes ground almonds (I use a blend of low carb ground nuts - including macadamia nuts!)
25 grammes pure raw cocoa powder
25 grammes granulated sweetener of choice (I use xylitol)

Melt coconut oil (this doesn't take long)
Throw in cocoa and mix well so you have chocolate oil
Stir in sweetener and allow to soften / disolve (whatever your chosen sweetener does!)
Stir in nuts
Mix it all really well and scoop/pour into plastic tub and allow to cool (coolest part of fridge) for at least 90 minutes
When set, cut and leave another few minutes before serving

If you want to eat chunks like fudge use a slightly smaller tub or if you want chocolate-like slabs use a large flat tub

Originally from Rose Elliots Low Carb Vegetarian (an excellent book) I adapted the recipe slightly

BENEFITS:

* zero impact on blood sugar
* beneficial compounds in coconut oil (yes the fat is saturated but it's the right molecule)
* beneficial compounds in cocoa
* almonds are known to reduce cholesterol
* tastes amazing
* unbelievably fast and easy to make
* makes 21 large servings

Quantity --- Food --- Calories --- Fat --- Protein --- Carb

100 grms - coconut oil - 900 - 100 - 0 - 0
100 grms - ground almonds - 615 - 55.8 - 21.1 - 6.9
20 grms - cocoa - 64 - 4.34 - 3.7 - 2.3
20 grms - Xylitol - 48 - 0 - 0 - 20
total - 1627 - 160.14 - 24.8 - 29.2
(21) serving - 77.5 - 7.6 - 1.2 - 1.4

Thirsty

Administrator said:
Hi Guys,

Would anyone mind if we replicated these recipes in the recipe archive on site? We will link back to this thread. Cheers,

Admin

No problem here, but could there be copyright issues if people have "borrowed" recipes without permission or crediting the source?

jazman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi
anyone got a recipe for mince pies? First Christmas as a diabetic, love my mince pies.

Jem

Dislikes

mince pies could be a real problem ... no idea how to get round the filling but you could try making the pastry with a very nut rich flour, like ground almonds or something and cutting it with a small percentage of wholemeal flour? I'm sure if you google hard enough you might turn something up?! xx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

I've just given them up! :( I was a total mince pie addict before but would rather not eat one now in case I will just eat the whole box.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers

I know that feeling Sue, me and my mum were the only ones who ate mince pies in the family, and boy did we make up for the rest of them!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

The mince pie industry will be in the red this year,the amount I used to get through! :lol: :lol:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

OK, here due to public demand is the low-carb Xmas trifle recipe I mentioned in a previous thread:

If you want to go all the way (I do, 'cos it means more trifle) you can first make a low carb sponge cake for the base. Whisk together 85g butter, 2 tbs olive oil and 3 eggs. Then stir in 200g ground almonds, 1tsp of baking powder and your sweetener of choice ( I use 3 sachets of stevia rather than the chemical sweeteners.) Pour the mixture into a lined baking tin and bake for 30 mins at 170C. Around 17g of carbs for the entire cake!

If there's any cake left :roll: , cut it into thick slices and line the bottom of your trifle dish with it. If you leave it out for a while, the sponge will dry out so that you can add extra booze to make it moist again. :mrgreen: Pour enough booze over the base so that it goes really squelchy. You can use a sweet white wine, but hey if you've come this far, use a dry sherry instead.

Now cover this with 100g of berries (rasps are the best and low in carbs) and 2 sliced bananas (OK it's only once a year!)

Next, take 2 egg yolks, some sweetener ( again I use 5 sachets of stevia, but otherwise use something with equivalent sweetness to 50g sugar) and mix. Add a 225g tub of mascarpone and mix until it becomes light and creamy. Add a slug of brandy if no-one's looking. :twisted: Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture. Pour over the fruit/sponge and put it in the fridge.

I've never really been a Xmas pud fan, I always ate it out of a sense of duty. Believe me, if you serve the trifle next to the pud, the trifle will disappear well before the pud gets a look-in.

Enjoy!

fergus