Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
potassium in diabetes what does it do
never asked doc about it
I may find out tomorrow! I've seen my test results on line for my first review since Type 2 diagnosis. I noticed that my potassium level is highlighted as low. I let you know if I find anything out …

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well it is dangerous to be too high in potassium, but it is also essential to get enough potassium... the best would be to have your levels measured at your GP to find out at what level you are and if your are in the high level or low level of normal or other level..

Avocado is a fine low carb food containing a lot of potassium .... mango is sky high in potassium but also in sugar..especially frugtose which is only processed in the liver and not a good choice for type 2 diabetics.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Insulin and potassium have a feedback mechanism, so that if, for example, blood levels of potassium get too high, insulin is released from the beta cells to help lower the levels. There is some indication that people who have metabolic syndrome or type 2 diabetes have a low level of potassium in their cells.

Hyperkalemia is a common clinical problem. Potassium enters the body via oral intake or intravenous infusion, is largely stored in the cells, and is then excreted in the urine. The major causes of hyperkalemia are increased potassium release from the cells and, most often, reduced urinary potassium excretion.

Potassium levels can fluctuate severely during the treatment of DKA, because insulin decreases potassium levels in the blood by redistributing it into cells via increased sodium-potassium pump activity. A large part of the shifted extracellular potassium would have been lost in urine because of osmotic diuresis.