1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Potatoes and Diabetes - POTATOES ARE MY NEMESIS!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by notafanofsugar, Sep 3, 2014.

?

The potato - friend or foe?

1. Friend

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Foe

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. this is too difficult two

this is too difficult two Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Lucky you didn't have to eat
    I'm jealo

2. this is too difficult two

I seem to be able to eat more than I used to.

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Try deep frying them. More fat, which helps, and with frozen oven chips presumably they have been partially fried?? If so, in what sort of fat? We always make our own chips, deep fried in rapeseed oil.

• Like Like x 4
  4. maliki

maliki · Member

I take sweet potato in moderation with beans and eggs. It does not spike my BG

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

5. notafanofsugar

notafanofsugar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does that mean we can conclude that potatoes are indeed FOES!

Booooooooooooooo to the FOES (remembering fondly this scene):

• Like Like x 2
  6. Magisham

Magisham Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use sweet potatoes all the time now instead of ordinary potatoes and they seem fine. I made a nice sort of bean shepherds pie tonight ..... red beans, onions, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes all cooked up and mashed and topped with mashed sweet potato with a sprinkling of low fat grated cheese. Very nice and very filling.

7. this is too difficult two

why low fat cheese? Did you test before and after?

8. sjhume

sjhume Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had potatos with almost every dinner i've ever eaten. Roast,boiled,mashed and mostly baked - i love them all! This thread is making me very hungry!

9. andy1971

andy1971 Type 1 · Member

I used to eat them all the time but these days they leave me doubled over cramped in the stomach...

10. MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mashing your spuds releases more carbs than baking them.
    I'd second the post on sweet potatoes.
    However, if you can find them purple potatoes are both versatile, healthy and tasty too.

11. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may want to cut back, unless you like having high blood glucose.:nurse:

12. notafanofsugar

notafanofsugar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I too have moved to sweet potatoes - they're actually quite nice oven cooked!

13. sjhume

sjhume Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Going food shopping later and will include sweet potatos for the first time!

14. alliebee

alliebee · Well-Known Member

I can't handle mash or jacket at all. But a couple of new ones are ok...chips from the chippy about 8 or so are ok. But oven chips are terrible.

15. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Couple of New spuds ok, chips in small amounts not bad but I do miss a nice big Jacket from the spud man with Chilli or cheese n beans

16. Irish Maeve

Irish Maeve Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to butt in on your discussion but was very interested in all the info re spuds. Being Irish I just LOVE my spuds and bread of any description. I have been T2 for about 6 years and I must say I had a very cavalier attitude up until about 6 months ago. My fasting bloods have been about 7 or 8 each day and I usually didn't check after that unless I feel strange or shaky. About 6 mths ago I developed a feeling like a lump or tightness in my throat and it got worse if I ate potatoes or bread. I cut these out totally and the tightness has eased but the difference in my readings was amazing. Down to 4.5 on fasting stomach and never over 8 when checked two hrs after food. I eat protein and veg or salad at main meals. If I fall off the wagon and try even a tiny portion of potato/bread/rice/pasta the lump is back almost immediately. I am being referred for camera procedure and really am not looking forward to that. Dr thinks it may be GERD but could possibly be stress related as my Mother was very ill and has since died on 15 Sept. Hopefully the stress will lessen now and I can get back to normal but will definitely be giving the carbs a wide berth. Only downside is I am losing way too much weight and don't know what to eat to gain a few lbs. Any suggestions? Once again apologies for hijacking your discussion.

17. NoCrbs4Me

Sounds like you are basically changing to a low carb diet. You might try increasing your fat intake to compensate for the lack of calories from carbs. There are some good threads here on low carb high fat (LCHF) diets. From what I've read, if protein is too high a pecentage of your macronutrients it can cause kidney problems in the long run. :blackeye:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Irish Maeve

Irish Maeve Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi NoCrbs4Me: Thanks for replying. Kidney problems?? Something else to worry about. Don't understand macronutrients part - sorry. I eat porridge for breakfast (can tolerate that) followed by a banana. No snack unless perhaps some almonds and glass of milk. Lunch has been 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and raw tomato - no bread. Afternoon snack a scone and butter with coffee. Dinner is either fish, chicken or steak (oven baked) with lots of different veg. I have sweet potato but hate it as it is nothing like the taste of a real spud. Supper is another small portion of porridge and that's it most days. Boring. I also have high cholesterol so can't add too many fats in (I think). It's all getting too complicated for me now. Must check out the LCHF diet and see if I can get a few ideas for tasty and nutritions menus. Thanks for your suggestions. Will google macronutients and see what that is.

19. NoCrbs4Me

The 3 macro nutrients are carbohydrates, protein and fat. I have found that LCHF has done wonders for my blood glucose levels and improved my cholesterol numbers. A very low carb diet tends to improve cholesterol numbers, even if you increase the amount fat to compensate the loss of calories. Haven't really lost much weight on it, though. I'm surprised you can eat that much carbs at breakfast and not affect your blood glucose levels. :bored:

• Like Like x 2
  20. mia160505

mia160505 Type 2 · Member

sweet potatoes iv herd are better , but i love mash potato , so i will give sweet mash a try , wondering if jacket potato and cottage cheese would be ok

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook