Potatoes

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @bernard41. As @Antje77 the best way to find out how different foods affect your blood glucose levels is to self test with a blood glucose meter before eating, then two hours after eating. If the food has raised your bg by more than 2.0 mmol/L it is best avoided or only eaten occasionally or in small quantities.
I had five small new potatoes with a chicken & ham pie last night. My bg went from 6.4 before eating, to 9.4 two hours later.
So I won't be having that again.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I am totally confused. My health care professionals tell me to go for low GI foods so that the carb release is slow enough for my pancreas to make enough insulin to cope. Then you tell me any carb is bad! Wow no wonder diabetics don't know what to do!
There is no confusion.You can get lousy advice from the mainstream healthcare industry that believes diabetes is a chronic progressive fatal disease based on poor science from 50 years ago,or you can get dietary advice from real diabetics living with it and putting it in its place.

I got my advice, that works,right here.Make your choice.

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said (clearly) add Insulin Resistance into the mix and the GI is pretty much unworkable at least long term. The method used to initially measure GI was formulated using subjects who were young, fit, healthy non Diabetics (and as far as I can remember the subjects were exclusively male). Thereby making each calculation on the index non applicable to those with Insulin Resistance In My Opinion.
I agree about the Glycemic Index numbers being unreliable but I don't understand why you say insulin resistance makes the whole idea unworkable. Those with insulin resistance have a problem getting glucose out of their bloodstream into their muscles, it happens eventually it just takes time. If low GI foods, and I agree the tables are only a very rough guide, provide that time then that must help. As someone else said Type 1's rely on high GI to rapidly resolve a hypo, dextrose tablets or jelly babies are more useful than the same amount of carbs from say raw carrot.
As far as @bernard41 is concerned then the route to go is low carb rather than just low GI and there have been some excellent information suggested above, not only about diet but getting a meter, which will prove he is on the right track.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree about the Glycemic Index numbers being unreliable but I don't understand why you say insulin resistance makes the whole idea unworkable. Those with insulin resistance have a problem getting glucose out of their bloodstream into their muscles, it happens eventually it just takes time. If low GI foods, and I agree the tables are only a very rough guide, provide that time then that must help. As someone else said Type 1's rely on high GI to rapidly resolve a hypo, dextrose tablets or jelly babies are more useful than the same amount of carbs from say raw carrot.
As far as @bernard41 is concerned then the route to go is low carb rather than just low GI and there have been some excellent information suggested above, not only about diet but getting a meter, which will prove he is on the right track.

As you are aware, T1Ds rarely have problems with IR so Yes a high glycaemic foodstuff to resolve a hypo is the sure way to go.

But for an Insulin Resistant T2 should we really be making an easy concept i.e 'Lower the amount of carbs in your diet to improve health now and prognosis' to a more complex one by adding GI which means a helluva lot more maths and jiggling and choosing (or ending up so mired in all the nutritional information that one may feel like just giving it up as a bad job).

Keep it simple, especially at first, tweaking can come later.

Reactions: 1spuds

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
more complex one by adding GI
Type 2 now. Pre diabetic diagnosis sent me to low GI. My diet was all "good carbs": beans, lentils, brown basmati rice, brown pasta. No cakes, biscuits, refined pre prepared stuff, sugar drinks, fruit juice, caramel macchiato (didn't do that before pre diabetes). I cook. Did me no good whatsoever. Made it worse I think.

I'm still reading and learning and correcting my misconceptions (then getting some new ones and correcting those!) I see low GI as a finesse, something you investigate once you understand that as a Type 2 diabetic (or indeed metabolic syndrome person or pre diabetic) you have an "interesting" relationship with carbs that no-one quite understands yet.

I went no carbs but veg over 4 weeks ago and frankly I'm scared of trying to reintroduce carbs because I felt so sick before. I think that right now I'm recovering from the damage all those healthy carbs did to me. How I react now to any carbs, low GI or otherwise, probably isn't going to be a good indicator of what happens in 6 months or a year or ever :).

Clueless but learning........

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Type 2 now. Pre diabetic diagnosis sent me to low GI. My diet was all "good carbs": beans, lentils, brown basmati rice, brown pasta. No cakes, biscuits, refined pre prepared stuff, sugar drinks, fruit juice, caramel macchiato (didn't do that before pre diabetes). I cook. Did me no good whatsoever. Made it worse I think.

I'm still reading and learning and correcting my misconceptions (then getting some new ones and correcting those!) I see low GI as a finesse, something you investigate once you understand that as a Type 2 diabetic (or indeed metabolic syndrome person or pre diabetic) you have an "interesting" relationship with carbs that no-one quite understands yet.

I went no carbs but veg over 4 weeks ago and frankly I'm scared of trying to reintroduce carbs because I felt so sick before. I think that right now I'm recovering from the damage all those healthy carbs did to me. How I react now to any carbs, low GI or otherwise, probably isn't going to be a good indicator of what happens in 6 months or a year or ever :).

Clueless but learning........
Just be aware that it may have taken you decades of Insulin Resistance to arrive at diagnosis so this is not a problem that a few months is going to magically put right. Reintroduce but take it slow and steady and has been said before many times, test test test. Good luck and keep up the great work.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no confusion.You can get lousy advice from the mainstream healthcare industry that believes diabetes is a chronic progressive fatal disease based on poor science from 50 years ago,or you can get dietary advice from real diabetics living with it and putting it in its place.

I got my advice, that works,right here.Make your choice.
@bernard41 Yeah, take it from 1spuds who should know when it comes to potato’s.. :D

I stopped eating potato’s. The cutting out of potato’s, pasta, rice, etc has worked for me. I do have a slice or two of low carb bread on most days but that’s it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds and copilost

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:wideyed: shurely there's shome mistake!
Improvement in blood glucose levels, HbA1c and in Fatty Liver can be improved in a matter of weeks (in the case of fatty liver the improvement can begin within just a matter days) but improving one's Insulin Resistance depends very much on how IR one is in the first place. Insulin Sensitivity is thin on the ground for those of us with T2 but given time it can improve, however, a return to a 'normal western diet' will see IR return with a vengeance. As we cannot measure IR at home (and as the NHS fails miserably with anything to do with insulin wrt T2 in general) then we are left with going private for tests or relying on bg levels.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it may have taken you decades of Insulin Resistance to arrive
joking aside, I find this one of the most sobering thoughts, makes me angry too, but also hopeful.

Wow no wonder diabetics don't know what to do!
true that! but this is an excellent community for exploring what you could do and getting support, information and feedback.
Welcome :) (from a relative newbie)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And as if by magic.... This is an aside and mudddies the water further but it does mention potatoes and stresses just how our individual responses cannot always be put together on a nice table or index.

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-abstract/104/8/3311/5421617?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Thanks Gabor.
This is an aside to your aside and I'm fairly sure constitutes as derailing (although perhaps not). I love* that the "conclusion" is to "slow gastric emptying" (presumably by pharma intervention) and not to restrict gastric entry! Why did they choose mashed potatoes? Also they state in the introduction that in long-standing, complicated type 2 diabetes mellitus gastric emptying is delayed so their conclusion is to make well-controlled T2DM more like these complicated type 2? Or possibly I've completely misunderstood everything?

However your point is taken, there is a lot going on, and so much more we need to know.

*not really

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is an aside to your aside and I'm fairly sure constitutes as derailing (although perhaps not). I love* that the "conclusion" is to "slow gastric emptying" (presumably by pharma intervention) and not to restrict gastric entry! Why did they choose mashed potatoes? Also they state in the introduction that in long-standing, complicated type 2 diabetes mellitus gastric emptying is delayed so their conclusion is to make well-controlled T2DM more like these complicated type 2? Or possibly I've completely misunderstood everything?

However your point is taken, there is a lot going on, and so much more we need to know.

*not really

I was really just trying to illustrate and emphasise the point that we can make things as easy or as complicated as we wish.

Reactions: 1spuds and copilost

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I love spuds, baked, boiled, chips, roasted, mashed,........................
.........until, I found out that, five chips cooked in vegetable oil, trebled my blood sugar levels, from normal to 15mmols, a small boiled one, to 12mmols, baked, to 14mmols, roasted in goose fat, 10mmols, mashed, (no milk, butter, cream,(dairy intolerance) added) 10mmols.
These results in my food diary, have been checked, retested, and every time would have given me a hypo!
It is due to the starch content in a spud!
Starchy vegetables are just as bad, for me, as carbs in wheat, grains, rice.
The roasted potatoes were the the best results because of the goose fat, the chips the worst because of the vegetable oils.
But, that is my personal information. It may be different from everyone else!

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love spuds, baked, boiled, chips, roasted, mashed,........................
.........until, I found out that, five chips cooked in vegetable oil, trebled my blood sugar levels, from normal to 15mmols, a small boiled one, to 12mmols, baked, to 14mmols, roasted in goose fat, 10mmols, mashed, (no milk, butter, cream,(dairy intolerance) added) 10mmols.
These results in my food diary, have been checked, retested, and every time would have given me a hypo!
It is due to the starch content in a spud!
Starchy vegetables are just as bad, for me, as carbs in wheat, grains, rice.
The roasted potatoes were the the best results because of the goose fat, the chips the worst because of the vegetable oils.
But, that is my personal information. It may be different from everyone else!

Chips are just absolutely full of carbs I went into dka over Pringle’s