Type 2 Practice nurse said not to test

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@satindoll hi. As my strips have been stopped it's difficult to see what my bgs will be in future, being a pensioner it's difficult to buy myself, he said the hbc1a tests are gor last 12 weeks & as they've been 5.8 & 5.9 then obviously my diabetes is under control. So I don't see how I can prove different, my sisters a diabetic & her hbc1a is similar to mine & is on same meds but still has strips, I wonder if it's money or not. Don't see how I can reverse his desicion, I was told not asked

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have challenged him by asking........... what was the purpose of raising my numbers deliberately when I already have complications which are likely to worsen without the glic and testing regularly ......... you could ask for a second opinion you are entitled to ask for one.......or the alternative is to find another Dr............ you have a right to proper care, I have changed my Dr as I felt my old GP was a non listener in that he would drift away with the fairies and um and ah then spout rubbish about going to the Citizens Advice which was nothing to do with what I'd gone to see him about.......the hbA1c is only good for the time its done not for long term management..........

Reactions: Bluetit1802

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello ,Maureen.You sound as if you have a doctor like my former doctor.I say former because i'm not going to see her anymore.When first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.I mentioned about testing myself.She said you have no need to test your b.g.You are only type 2.I said how will i know if i'm eating the correct food to try and control my blood sugar . She said oh well i can't prescribe test strips So i bought my own.Then she said i should be taking statins she mentioned this 3 times,each time i refused.then she got really stroppy.So i said i'll sort it out myself.I got up and walked out of her surgery never to return.I was diabetic for 6 years without telling me.regardless of having routine 6 monthly blood tests and blood pressure check I had an accident while in the Philippines I had to have an operation on my knee.While i was in hospital the doctor asked if i knew i was diabetic.Shock Horror! no .I had the routine blood test etc.about 3 weeks before going to the Phils.So i rang the surgery in the U.K.and asked them if my blood tests were ok.The receptionist told my tests were normal,nothing to worry about .The operation went ok The surgical wound healed up ok .I felt fine .so i forgot about diabetes.

Fast foward to 2015 I had the usual routine tests A few days later the doctor phoned my to say my blood sugar was very high could i make an appointment see her..When i saw her i momenterily forgot about the diabetes.and mentioned the pain i was having in my left hip.Then she jumped down my throat ,and said lets have one thing at a time.I said ok sorry .I was starting to ge complications.I was prescribed Metformin.The pharmacist at Boots the chemists said you will have a gippy stomach for 2 week after taking them.Then you will be ok.I thought well i feel fine now.Why should i make myself ill taking this ****,so i never bothered to take them.
6/7 months ago i developed weeping none healing ulcers on my legs below the knee.very painful indeed.I had to try and lower my blood sugar to get them to heal up.I went on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet before the diet. I weighed 14st 10lbs My blood sugar fasting readings were between 10.8 mml and 16+ mml Now i weigh 11st 7lbs.my blood sugar fasting readings are between 3.0mm and 5.8mml.My ulcers have healed up.and all the other complication.I can eat what i like without any adverse effects.I feel very much better i didn't realised how **** i felt .Even my arthritis is much better.I feel as if i have a new lease of life.Try the diet out.I bought a book by Doctor Jason Fung.A Complete Guide to Fasting Well worth the money .I consider myself cured of diabetes.no doubt the doctors will beg to differ.I still check my blood sugar now and again.to make sure it does not come back .but so far so good.
I had noticed since i retired at 65 in 2010 The treatment on the NHS has gone down the pan.An insight into treatment after 65 in my case Just before i retired .I went to see the doctor.I limped badly into his surgery. I said I'm in pain with my left hip .He said You have wear and tear in your hip I shall not send you for an X-ray i want to keep you away from the surgeons.Very unhelpful at this malpractice. I'm sure there are good doctors out there.The problem is finding one.Yes try the diet out it worked for me it may work for you.My fasting reading today was 5.6mml.P.S.I bought the book from Amazon .Also Dr fung is on the internet on Utube.
The best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@satindoll @david2241. Hi thanks i agree with both of you, I did get up to leave & said I was gonna find another doctor, today I spoke to a chemist who thinks the doctor is wrong but as he said, you never win they have the upper hand but I'm not just gonna sit & take it, I've asked that the DN phones me, usualy have to wait ages but I'm gonna let her know I think the way I was treated was bad & insulting & I'd like to see another doctor, don't think I'll get appiontment!!! Then I'll decide if to complsin or find another doctor, even if I dont get my meds st least might get doctor who listens , when I got up to leave the doctor told me I might lose some weight as he'd stopped my gliclazide. I said do I look like I need to lose weight? He said no! I weight 57 kilos. Why mention my weight

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@satindoll hi. As my strips have been stopped it's difficult to see what my bgs will be in future, being a pensioner it's difficult to buy myself, he said the hbc1a tests are gor last 12 weeks & as they've been 5.8 & 5.9 then obviously my diabetes is under control. So I don't see how I can prove different, my sisters a diabetic & her hbc1a is similar to mine & is on same meds but still has strips, I wonder if it's money or not. Don't see how I can reverse his desicion, I was told not asked
Hi Maureen...since my diagnosis I have tested my BG regularly...at diagnosis my BG levels were 17.4...now I have an average of 5.7...I have managed to reduce my medication to 500mgs once daily (with my GPs approval)...hoping to reach non-diabetic range at my next review...initially I self funded my meter & testing strips for almost a year...then on a point of principle asked my GP to prescribe testing strips...he agreed however warned me my local Clinical Commissioning Group would intervene...stop the prescription...as I am T2 non-dependant on hypoglycaemic medication the CCG would not 'sanction' his issuing me with strips & a meter...I decided to challenge my local CCG...justify my need to test my BGs...it took a lot of my time...hard work...research...reading the NICE guidelines in detail...scouring the minutes of the local CCG meetings where they addressed this issue...ultimately I was successful...it can be done.

Reactions: dbr10

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maureen...since my diagnosis I have tested my BG regularly...at diagnosis my BG levels were 17.4...now I have an average of 5.7...I have managed to reduce my medication to 500mgs once daily (with my GPs approval)...hoping to reach non-diabetic range at my next review...initially I self funded my meter & testing strips for almost a year...then on a point of principle asked my GP to prescribe testing strips...he agreed however warned me my local Clinical Commissioning Group would intervene...stop the prescription...as I am T2 non-dependant on hypoglycaemic medication the CCG would not 'sanction' his issuing me with strips & a meter...I decided to challenge my local CCG...justify my need to test my BGs...it took a lot of my time...hard work...research...reading the NICE guidelines in detail...scouring the minutes of the local CCG meetings where they addressed this issue...ultimately I was successful...it can be done.
U

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie hi thanks for replying. My doctor & DN said I'll always be a diabetic but now I'm classed as 'normal'. Not in diabetic range, my doctor said I'm not giving you meds cos you want!!!!!! He said you must have a fixation with testing!!!!! Type 2's don't need to test. I most certainly did not give him any reason to think this off me. But he said would check me in few months & would give me other meds if sugars have gone up which he said he believes they will!! Spoke with DN who said she can't do snythink as doctor has made his decision Wouldn't even discuss it, more or less cut me off phone. I'd love to get if meds who wouldn't I've worked hard to get to 5.9. At beginning My sugars were in doctors words 'out of this world' my bg's were 23.4. Sorry but I found him very patronising & I said so, after he looked up & started roiling his eyes I've enquired about changing doctors but several surgeries close buy work together so otheres to far. I'm dissabled in my legs & can't walk much or go gym ect as I explained to doctor. I feel he didn't care. How do find out about Nice guidelines? Thanks for your help

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie hi thanks for replying. My doctor & DN said I'll always be a diabetic but now I'm classed as 'normal'. Not in diabetic range, my doctor said I'm not giving you meds cos you want!!!!!! He said you must have a fixation with testing!!!!! Type 2's don't need to test. I most certainly did not give him any reason to think this off me. But he said would check me in few months & would give me other meds if sugars have gone up which he said he believes they will!! Spoke with DN who said she can't do snythink as doctor has made his decision Wouldn't even discuss it, more or less cut me off phone. I'd love to get if meds who wouldn't I've worked hard to get to 5.9. At beginning My sugars were in doctors words 'out of this world' my bg's were 23.4. Sorry but I found him very patronising & I said so, after he looked up & started roiling his eyes I've enquired about changing doctors but several surgeries close buy work together so otheres to far. I'm dissabled in my legs & can't walk much or go gym ect as I explained to doctor. I feel he didn't care. How do find out about Nice guidelines? Thanks for your help
Maureen initially my relationship with my GP was abysmal...after a severe infection that warranted 14 days of high doses of intravenous antibiotics...during my first appointment with him after discharge (2 weeks after was the 1st appointment I could have) he simply checked my foot (the source of the infection from cutting a toe nail too short)...prescribed me more antibiotics...nothing more...several weeks later I tested my blood pressure on a friends BP monitor...200/110...called my surgery...immediate appointment...blood tests...three days later informed type 2 in a phone call...come in & collect a prescription...I had a further appointment with my GP who had been away at the time I received my diagnosis...decided to speak to him...advise what I was unhappy with...I did...the follow up appointments were not much better...however I wrote to him...outlined my concerns...now I have a much more productive relationship with him...every time I see him he learns something new...I decided to work hard with him...discuss my concerns...I did not want to change GPs...I had no idea whether the next one would be any better...I explained my purpose in writing to him...detailed the difficulties during my appointments...said I wanted to work with him to improve further appointments...I am relieved I persevered...have you thought of writing to the practice manager or the GP concerned?

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie hi thanks for reply. Yescactually I thought about that, but if you upset a doctor then it's difficult, it seems at my surgery they don't like you asking questions, as he said no one asks they accept, but it's my body I like to know, I want to try & improve my health, he doesn't like you asking anythink or having an opinion, I thought about asking to see him again & saying I want to do what's best for my health can we discuss this, obviously I'm concerned my sugars going up again, I did say I'm not very mobile which he knows, I felt like I was being put down like abroad, woman are not respected, I have nerve damage in my toesfrom being ignored before, doctor insisted I must have bashed my feet! Thanks again see if we can sort this out. Have a good day & good health to you x

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't self-test. I just have the A1C done at the clinic every three months. This may change in the future, depending on the evolution of my T2D.

I think the answer to "should you self-test" is, "it depends." No-one else can make that decision for you (edited to add: unless your doctor requires it!). So in that sense, I disagree with those who say that imply you must "eat to your meter" -- while still totally agreeing that it makes sense (medically and/or personally) for many T2 people to do so.

A key advantage of self-testing is that it gives you a lot of information that you can act on, putting you in greater personal control of your T2D. For me, right now, that would be "too much information" but we are all different.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie hi thanks for reply. Yescactually I thought about that, but if you upset a doctor then it's difficult, it seems at my surgery they don't like you asking questions, as he said no one asks they accept, but it's my body I like to know, I want to try & improve my health, he doesn't like you asking anythink or having an opinion, I thought about asking to see him again & saying I want to do what's best for my health can we discuss this, obviously I'm concerned my sugars going up again, I did say I'm not very mobile which he knows, I felt like I was being put down like abroad, woman are not respected, I have nerve damage in my toesfrom being ignored before, doctor insisted I must have bashed my feet! Thanks again see if we can sort this out. Have a good day & good health to you x
Maureen...I believe its better to put things in writing...that way there is no pressure from a face to face meeting...you have time to think about what you need to say...amend it...revise it....structure it in a way that is not confrontational...puts the onus firmly on your GP to respond... make it clear you want to work with him to improve things...any letter sent to the GP should be scanned onto the system...kept...if you cannot resolve this with your current GP...you could speak to the practice manager...refer him/her to your letter to indicate you have tried to address this with your doctor...it is worth a try...if you need any tips on how to approach this...let me know.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't self-test. I just have the A1C done at the clinic every three months. This may change in the future, depending on the evolution of my T2D.

I think the answer to "should you self-test" is, "it depends." No-one else can make that decision for you. So in that sense, I disagree with those who say that imply you must "eat to your meter" -- while still totally agreeing that it makes sense (medically and/or personally) for many T2 people to do so.

A key advantage of self-testing is that it gives you a lot of information that you can act on, putting you in greater personal control of your T2D. For me, right now, that would be "too much information" but we are all different.
I agree unequivocally it has to be a matter of personal choice whether to test or not...however...the important point for me is when the opportunity for us to exercise that choice is removed...the opportunity to test is not available...removed from the equation...for those that want to test & can self fund the decision is either yes or no...for those who want to test & cannot self fund there is little choice...if your GP refuses you a prescription for testing strips (lets not forget meters are often provided free by suppliers who make their profits from the supply of testing strips) which is now common practice...we should challenge that refusal...the refusal to supply testing strips is likely to be the result of a local Clinical Commissioning Group directive not to supply T2s non-dependent on hypoglycaemic medications strips...they point to the NICE guidelines as justification...this is nothing more than a cost cutting exercise & a false economy...the NICE guidelines do not say NO...they contain some room for discretion...I would encourage anyone who wants to test...who cannot afford to self fund to challenge that refusal.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Grateful you views are very interesting,?you say you have you ac1 every three months. That's good my doctor only does mine once a year. If it was more often then I'd know if I was on the right track. But I only get once a year

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubsie. Any help advise is be grateful, I'm 65 & on pension, as I said I have few health problems, one dissability in my legs. Since I was 4 from car accident so not very mobile. Testing does let you correct your bgs if you test. Thanks again & good health to you all

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grateful you views are very interesting,?you say you have you ac1 every three months. That's good my doctor only does mine once a year. If it was more often then I'd know if I was on the right track. But I only get once a year

I am in America. I am recently diagnosed (nine months ago). I have been pushy. When my doctor says, "make another appointment for four months from now" I go to the receptionist and make one for three months, instead. So far, no one has noticed, and the doctor doesn't seem to care. My insurance company has coughed up, so I "only" pay the "normal" $60 for each appointment and about another $25 for the A1C test (the actual cost is a large multiple of these figures; the insurance company pays for most of it).

The doctor has told me that he is looking for "stability" of my A1C. This has not been achieved yet (see signature) because, in fact, it has been falling like a stone. (I am not sure what the point of "stability" is, as long as the A1C is in the "normal" range, but never mind.)

I have another A1C test next week. After that, it would not surprise me if the doctor asks to increase the interval to six months, if "stability" has been achieved. At that point I guess I have three choices:
  1. "Live with it" i.e. accept the conventional wisdom that, as a well-controlled T2, I do not need to test except once in a blue moon.
  2. Every three months, go to the drugstore and buy a home A1C test, although I am rather suspicious of them.
  3. Go to the clinic and pay for my own test with no insurance coverage (very expensive).
Fortunately, I am due for a free "annual medical" in February of next year. They should do my A1C along with all the other tests.

Mind you, the medical insurance situation in America is really scary at the moment. As a self-employed person I pay for my own health insurance ($1,200 per month for my wife and I) and even with that huge outlay, the so-called "co-pays" (the money paid when you go to the doctor or have tests) are exploding. For some procedures, we also have a huge "deductible" (about $10,000 per year) that we have to meet before the insurance even kicks in. We also have a president who is trying to destroy the little insurance that we have. So those of you on the NHS should count your blessings, despite the horror stories (I watch the BBC news every day....).

End of rant!

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Grateful. I Agree with you, I used to pay for everythink, I lived in Middle East but wasn't diabetic then as far as I know , so I sympathise with you paying so much. I do appreciate the help I get, but it's bit of a lottery here I think my sister is diabetic & lives in another area, she's on same meds I was on, she gets strips & doctor just gave her the new machine which doesn't need strips. Must be difficult for you also having family to care for, before we had to have health insurance as I lived abroad, & in Middle East was no joke. Take care of yourself & good luck with next ac1.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep testing if you want to. Since you are making medication changes this is a particularly important time to test. Like you said, you purchased the strips so you can do what you like with them!

My endo suggests that I don't test so often, but for a good reason - I have good control but I get a lot of anxiety about diabetes stuff, so she thought it would improve my quality of life to lay off on the testing. I am trying to take her advice on board since it would definitely improve the quality of my fingers haha :) But she always listens to me and is supportive of me and I look forward to my appointments with her. A good doctor should discuss this with you without making you feel disrespected or like you are getting in trouble.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in America. I am recently diagnosed (nine months ago). I have been pushy. When my doctor says, "make another appointment for four months from now" I go to the receptionist and make one for three months, instead. So far, no one has noticed, and the doctor doesn't seem to care. My insurance company has coughed up, so I "only" pay the "normal" $60 for each appointment and about another $25 for the A1C test (the actual cost is a large multiple of these figures; the insurance company pays for most of it).

The doctor has told me that he is looking for "stability" of my A1C. This has not been achieved yet (see signature) because, in fact, it has been falling like a stone. (I am not sure what the point of "stability" is, as long as the A1C is in the "normal" range, but never mind.)

I have another A1C test next week. After that, it would not surprise me if the doctor asks to increase the interval to six months, if "stability" has been achieved. At that point I guess I have three choices:
  1. "Live with it" i.e. accept the conventional wisdom that, as a well-controlled T2, I do not need to test except once in a blue moon.
  2. Every three months, go to the drugstore and buy a home A1C test, although I am rather suspicious of them.
  3. Go to the clinic and pay for my own test with no insurance coverage (very expensive).
Fortunately, I am due for a free "annual medical" in February of next year. They should do my A1C along with all the other tests.

Mind you, the medical insurance situation in America is really scary at the moment. As a self-employed person I pay for my own health insurance ($1,200 per month for my wife and I) and even with that huge outlay, the so-called "co-pays" (the money paid when you go to the doctor or have tests) are exploding. For some procedures, we also have a huge "deductible" (about $10,000 per year) that we have to meet before the insurance even kicks in. We also have a president who is trying to destroy the little insurance that we have. So those of you on the NHS should count your blessings, despite the horror stories (I watch the BBC news every day....).

End of rant!

Hi...I sill have HbA1c tests every three months...another review due in January next year...hoping to be within non-diabetic range...at the moment I have my testing strips supplied on prescription...initially as said I did self fund...then on a point of principle decided to challenge the practice of routinely refusing T2s non dependent on hypo inducing medications test strips...at my next review providing my HbA1c results are as expected things may change...the possibilities are I will stop taking any medication...rely on diet & exercise only...have the frequency of my reviews reduced...then no doubt the issue of my prescription for strips will arise...I have no real objection to a review every six months...for me as long as I am testing...I am confident I can exert good control of my blood sugars...any unexpected repeated rise in BGs would be apparent...my meter allows me to see my average BGs for the last 7...14...30...90 days...whilst not comparable to the HbA1c it will give me an approximation of how I am managing...so if the prescription question does rear it's 'ugly head'...I would have no hesitation in stressing it is even more imperative for that prescription to continue in those circumstances...it is a false economy to reuse to supply test strips...good control saves our NHS money...can delay/prevent complications...they are not an inevitability...I am not familiar with the health care system in the US...however do have some T2 friends there...they have health insurance...are provided with a meter & test strips...I would imagine the insurance companies have some of the best cost analysts there are...who recognise the long term benefits of regular testing...the cost comparison between the supply of test strips...versus complications...why that cannot permeate through to our NHS...or more importantly the clinical Commissioning Groups who control what our GPs can & cannot prescribe...set their spending budgets is frustrating & damaging.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maureen after a disastrous start with my GP...I now have a good relationship with him...it took some time...lots of discussion...several letters...during one appointment I asked him if he knew much about diabetes...he said 'no not really'...we took things from there...I applauded his honesty...I do have reviews every three months...my last one I choose to wait six months...my HbA1c had risen slightly due to an infection...antibiotics...nothing I could do about that...so I decided to ask for the next one after three months...he was happy with that...if I can achieve non-diabetic range...I would extend them to six months...possibly longer...but... only because I am testing...which would identify any consistent rise in my BGs...think that might be good justification for you to ask for strips....probably best done in writing...can make a few suggestions if you want to do that ...let me know.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie thanks very much, I'd appreciate any help/suggestions/guidance. thank you for offering. As I said before we are only tested once a year, so I think self testing is good, a lot can happen in a year, I've asked for 6 months but been told government rule is every 12monrhs, asked to go on course, told don't need it, asked to see dietician, told font need. I feel like I'm just a number to them. Thanks agsin, any suggestions very welcome.