Pre Diabetes. BG close to top end. Weight ok

Primear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A new arrival here. A Pre Diabetic, trying to calculate the way forward with my weight satisfactory and no need to lose any.
However I need to reduce my BG levels.
I have the Freestyle Libra 3 Sensor - now attached for 5 days.
What can you best advise.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP reading on 31st January was 44 mmol/mol. I was subsequently advised of being prediabetic.
That's barely over the diagnostic threshold. Just a slight reduction in carbs should get you back into the non-diabetic range. Most GP's don't bother to let someone know they're prediabetic, as you don't start to perscribe meds until they're in the diabetic range... Yay for your practice for letting you know, now you can do something about it before things get out of hand and/or complications occur. (I would've killed to have had that information sooner, my body was a wreck by the time I found out what was wrong. So as scary as this may seem.... Look on the bright side: You're able to get ahead of this yet!).

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- that should help some, and no need to go quite as far as that. Just a few tweaks should do. And mind you, there is such a thing as TOFI: Thin Outside, Fat Inside. There is, in all likelihood, a little fatty tissue packed around your liver and/or pancreas. Wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at you, but an ultrasound would pick it up, if it is there. Kind of part and parcel with slightly elevated blood sugars. (The higher they go, the bigger you become. It's not being overweight that causes diabetes, it's diabetes that causes weight gain. Common misconception.). So the low carb thing would get that sorted too. Again, no need to go overboard, just a tweak here and there should do you fine, with those numbers being what they are.

Good luck!
Jo

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are you doing with the data from the Libre?
Have you identified any foods who h spike your BG higher?
Have you noticed anything such as exercise that reduces it?
The great thing about a CGMs like a Libre is the data it provides which highlights where you would get the biggest benefit from changes to your diet and lifestyle.
So you need to look at trends and when your BG is highest.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My GP reading on 31st January was 44 mmol/mol. I was subsequently advised of being prediabetic.
The pre diabetic diagnosis does seem to be given out quite a lot nowadays doesn't it ? I have several friends , my brother and sister , my wife have all been told they are pre diabetic and are all fit and well and certainly none are obese , I think people might start to ignore their diagnosis .

mouseee

You are diagnosed as prediabetic at 42 and as diabetic at 48 so you are right at the bottom.
Although lifestyle, weight etc can increase likelihood of diabetes, genetics also get involved.
My family is/was riddled with T2 - I was unlikely to escape!
Mum, grandad, aunt, uncle all on one side, and that's the ones I know about!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have managed to stay in prediabetic range for over 20 years going from low carbs to keto + loads of exercise. Despite my age I do 9 classes at the gym a week which include 2 Pilates.