pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

amalia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Does anyone know which is the cheapest way of testing as I have not bought any kit yet, been pre diabetic/normal/prediabetic again for a year and a bit, think now should test but have to buy my own strips as NHS does not pay for pre diabetics. Which are the cheapest strips and meter and lances? In the pharmacy or on line?

Kevinnnnnm

Hi. My fasting glukose 105 h1a1c. 4.9. Ogtt 2 .hours 118. My doctors Said prediabets .in my cauntry normal level 74-100 ?!! I feel bad now.İn here fasting glukose 74-108 .which is true please help me .??Am ı sick??

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Kevinnnnnm and welcome to the forum. I asume the 105 is mg/dl.
In the UK non-diabetic levels are 123 mg/dl or less. Pre-diabetic is 126-139 mg/dl. And diabetic range is 140 mg/dl and higher.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My fasting glukose 105 h1a1c. 4.9. Ogtt 2 .hours 118. My doctors Said prediabets .in my cauntry normal level 74-100 ?!! I feel bad now.İn here fasting glukose 74-108 .which is true please help me .??Am ı sick??
I haven't seen any professionals (as I know it ) on this forum , maybe in another Forum on this site there are professionals that can help ? There are also a few information pages on this Website that might help . Or go to another Dr to get a second opinion maybe? Different figures for different countries really confuse me I'm just getting to grips with it myself .

Good Luck :watching: Pre-Diet

Reactions: Prem51

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, This is what I've found off the internet. I am absolutely not an expert!!

A1c measures how much glucose becomes permanently bonded (glycated) to hemoglobin in red blood cells. In layperson’s terms, this test is a rough measure of average blood sugar over the previous three months. The “normal” range for A1c for most labs is between 4% and 6%. Yours is 4.9%? Sounds fine!!
The OGTT measures first and second stage insulin response to glucose. If your blood sugar is >140 mg/dL two hours later, you have pre-diabetes. If it’s >199 mg/dL two hours later, you’ve got full-blown diabetes. You have 118? way under 140. That said most countries have different levels to diagnose pre diabetes. If I were you I would ask the clinic where you got the results to explain it better, eat more vegies and less carbs, and not worry too much. Stress can affect your BG levels :)

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 5.6 this am after being on 6.4 and 6.6 in the weekend :( I think I know why, though. Can't get out of my habit of snacking at night!! What's better than a movie and something good to eat ;) Even though it's only nuts or berries with cream, it still affects my FBG. Had dinner with more fat, and green lentils, more full, snacked less, better FBG, even though I slept in. It's very difficult to get used to not skimming the fat off sauces and adding cream aso after years off thinking fat is disgusting, but I'm getting there, thanks to this forum and the very helpful and friendly people here :) Thanks!!

Last edited:

merdockmoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm curious, the UK still uses the pre/borderline diabetes diagnoses? The US AMA stopped using that/those diagnoses years ago. If our diabetes is controlled by diet, we're still considered type 2 diabetics.

481 mg/dl was my fasting today, btw. Very high and still not controlled. Ugh.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @merdockmoe and welcome to the forum. Yes the UK National Health Service does categorise blood sugar levels.
Using US mg/dl figures, in the UK 125 mg/dl and below is non-diabetic, 126-138 mg/dl would be pre-diabetic, and 139 mg/dl and above is diabetic.
Once we get in the diabetic range we are always considered T2 diabetic, even if our blood sugar level is controlled by diet, or medication.
Your fbg of 481 mg/dl is very high. Have you tried controlling blood sugar levels with a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating? A lot of us on here have found it is effective in lowering bs levels.
Have a read round the threads to see how it works and ask any questions you want to. The peopleon here are friendly and supportive, and you will get a lot of good advice.