pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 Had a around 6.3- 6-5 all Easter because I've been eating at odd times. Seems like my FBG is higher if I'm hungry when I go to bed or wake up hungry. Anyone experienced this? Maybe my liver thinks I'm starving and wants to help ;) Every time I eat heaps, low carb, and feel really full at around 7pm I've got a better FBG!!
I go to a Slimming World group ( they advocate being full and eating plenty of 'Healthy'carbs tho, not low carb ), but some (a lot) of the posts on this website seem to be all for HFLC . Just out of interest how Low carb do you go and what do you 'fill up ' on?. If that's OK to ask. :cat:

Last edited:

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go to a Slimming World group ( they advocate being full and eating plenty of 'Healthy'carbs tho, not low carb ), but some (a lot) of the posts on this website seem to be all for HFLC . Just out of interest how Low carb do you go and what do you 'fill up ' on?. If that's OK to ask. :cat:
Hi, That's fine. I'm a personality that doesn't really like following strict rules, so I'm taking the best from a few diets :) Basically I go with what keeps my blood sugar low, fills me up and is fairly healthy. At the moment I'm on low to medium carbs. I have oats + oatbran w/fullfat milk and sweetener for breakfast. It's filling and healthy and maybe because I add the oatbran it's not spiking by BG, I know some people have to keep away from grains. Sometimes a snack at midmorning, cracker w/ peanutbutter or low carb bar, cheese on low carb bread (homemade). Lunch is usually salad w/chicken, cheese, quinoa, bacon, avocado, whatever I have in the house. I usually get hungry at 4pm after work and after trial and error I now eat some low carb bread or/and some salty nuts while a read a magazine just to keep me going till dinner. Evening meal I get inspired by which vegies I have instead of meat. I've noticed if I have mushroom sauce w/ plenty of cream and add a yummy dessert of berries and cream (made into Ice cream) I'm full for much longer than if I have stirfry and my FBG is better as well. Just tried last night to add a slice of brown bread toast and snack on peanuts after a more lowfat vegie/mince stew and that seemed to be good for my FBG as well. So what I'm thinking is that it's important to listen to your body and not just follow some rules as everyone is different. I believe I need a bit of healthy carbs at night, or fat, and being full, to avoid my liver dumping more glucose into my blood. I have cut out all rice, all white flour, potato, pasta as these thing will affect my BG badly. I don't count carbs or anything and mainly follow LCHF only because it makes sense to cut out anything that turns into sugar as I'm prediabetic. As a weightloss program it works really well. You don't starve yourself, but substitute the potato for the good stuff :) lots of veggies, cauliflower, some meat, yummy creamy desserts, I've even started making low carb choc cake and they are really good :) I know everyone raves about LCHF diet here and it is because it's great for keeping the BG low, a side effect is the weight loss. Got a bit long, sorry :D

Reactions: Rustytypin

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 yesterday, 5.9 this morning, with no significant difference in diet, but a 20 mile bike ride yesterday. Perhaps that is the secret for me, use up the glucose in my muscles. Now the only problem is finding the energy to ride every day!

Reactions: Prem51

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, That's fine. I'm a personality that doesn't really like following strict rules, so I'm taking the best from a few diets :) Basically I go with what keeps my blood sugar low, fills me up and is fairly healthy. At the moment I'm on low to medium carbs. I have oats + oatbran w/fullfat milk and sweetener for breakfast. It's filling and healthy and maybe because I add the oatbran it's not spiking by BG, I know some people have to keep away from grains. Sometimes a snack at midmorning, cracker w/ peanutbutter or low carb bar, cheese on low carb bread (homemade). Lunch is usually salad w/chicken, cheese, quinoa, bacon, avocado, whatever I have in the house. I usually get hungry at 4pm after work and after trial and error I now eat some low carb bread or/and some salty nuts while a read a magazine just to keep me going till dinner. Evening meal I get inspired by which vegies I have instead of meat. I've noticed if I have mushroom sauce w/ plenty of cream and add a yummy dessert of berries and cream (made into Ice cream) I'm full for much longer than if I have stirfry and my FBG is better as well. Just tried last night to add a slice of brown bread toast and snack on peanuts after a more lowfat vegie/mince stew and that seemed to be good for my FBG as well. So what I'm thinking is that it's important to listen to your body and not just follow some rules as everyone is different. I believe I need a bit of healthy carbs at night, or fat, and being full, to avoid my liver dumping more glucose into my blood. I have cut out all rice, all white flour, potato, pasta as these thing will affect my BG badly. I don't count carbs or anything and mainly follow LCHF only because it makes sense to cut out anything that turns into sugar as I'm prediabetic. As a weightloss program it works really well. You don't starve yourself, but substitute the potato for the good stuff :) lots of veggies, cauliflower, some meat, yummy creamy desserts, I've even started making low carb choc cake and they are really good :) I know everyone raves about LCHF diet here and it is because it's great for keeping the BG low, a side effect is the weight loss. Got a bit long, sorry :D

This morning my BG is 5.0 spot on thanks to exercise and diet .
Thanks for your reply Kumera , I will use it as a reference as I need to follow a more HFLC type of plan , I have been considering going astray from the Slimming World Style which is very high carb depending which route you take . I have been enjoying more HF but sometimes the carbs go too high . Some of your examples sound very interesting especially the Chocolate cake . I also get what I think is liver dump so need to check my night-time carbs. I need to do some more testing of which foods spike my BG . Thanks Again Pre-diet

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning my BG is 5.0 spot on thanks to exercise and diet .
Thanks for your reply Kumera , I will use it as a reference as I need to follow a more HFLC type of plan , I have been considering going astray from the Slimming World Style which is very high carb depending which route you take . I have been enjoying more HF but sometimes the carbs go too high . Some of your examples sound very interesting especially the Chocolate cake . I also get what I think is liver dump so need to check my night-time carbs. I need to do some more testing of which foods spike my BG . Thanks Again Pre-diet
You're welcome, I believe weightloss is fine, but you can have a perfect BG without losing much weight just by cutting down on the carbs that you are "allergic"too. Don't stress the weightloss. For a real yummy snack try cheese cake without the base. Basically some sugarfree jelly, cream cheese and whipped cream, and set the rest of the jelly separately, maybe mix in some cooked berries. Eat it together and it's better than any other dessert as it's guilt free :) Google low carb desserts and Low carb chocolate cake :D

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 6.4 yesterday (****** dinner, no vegies) 5.6 today and every time I have creamy mushroom sauce with meat and loads of vegies

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
3.9! most of the day!
Ive been doing intermittent fasting this week, 23/1 = 23 hours nil by mouth 1 hour window to eat what i want (ketogenic compliant)
After 3 months on a low carb diet and last 2 weeks on a ketogenic diet. If i drink enough water with electrolytes (magnesium, potassium and trace minerals) take some coconut oil I don't feel dizzy, (went for a 2 hr brisk walk today and yesterday for first time in 6 months)
  • I've lost 9 kilos, 3 inches of my waist hips and bum( down a dress size)
  • I have more energy, even the dip i used to have in the afternoon doesn't make me want sleep standing up like it used too i don't have a nap.
  • regular 6-7 hours sleep no night wake ups. no dawn phenomenon
  • feel happier
  • obvs feel lighter
  • less bone and body aches

kumera

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 ( Crisps couldn't resist at night)
That's one thing I missed in the beginning :) A good book and a packet of crisps!! Try melting some cheese in the oven. They come out crispy, cheesy snacks. Or have salty nuts, takes the salt craving away...