Pre diabetes

Lucky_boy

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
hi all I have just been told by my gp that I have pre diabetes and need to see the surgery nurse that is very hard I am house bound my doctor said the nurse will not do home visits am I right in thinking it is my doctor right to find a nurse that will visit me I am lost for words he got a nurse to do the special blood test at my home any thoughts any one thanks lucky boy.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure what your "rights" are but it does sound unreasonable.

To be honest, you are more likely to get the advice you need on this forum. It depends upon what your diabetic nurse considers appropriate advice. If she points you to brown bread, pasta, rice etc then your better off without it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all I have just been told by my gp that I have pre diabetes and need to see the surgery nurse that is very hard I am house bound my doctor said the nurse will not do home visits am I right in thinking it is my doctor right to find a nurse that will visit me I am lost for words he got a nurse to do the special blood test at my home any thoughts any one thanks lucky boy.
Do you have home visits from your GP when you need a GP consultation? You could maybe go down that route? Or maybe email the Practice Manager and ask what they suggest someone in your situation could do?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor should join the modern era as telephonic communication has been commonplace for quite some time now.
Face to face interviews using Skype have even been done here - once I got a web camera.
However, if the nurse is as useful to you as mine have been to me - well - maybe Google for chocolate teapots and get one delivered to your door.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Your doctor should join the modern era as telephonic communication has been commonplace for quite some time now.
Face to face interviews using Skype have even been done here - once I got a web camera.
However, if the nurse is as useful to you as mine have been to me - well - maybe Google for chocolate teapots and get one delivered to your door.

100% coco teapot of course.. :p

Reactions: xfieldok

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

The problem is that one cannot do a blood draw over the phone.

To the OP. Surely a district nurse can do a blood draw and consultations can be by phone?
If you get no joy try contacting PALS service in your area. Good Luck.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
May we ask why you are housebound? People on here can give good practical advice (not medical advice) on helping to manage blood sugar but it helps to know if there are other conditions which may affect that.
You might also want to look into what local diabetic support networks exist (eg PALS) - this may provide other options for you.
If you are pre-diabetic then you are probably heading in that direction, but you have the opportunity to take action now to stop it developing into something that causes you problems. You are in the right place for guidance, experience, ideas and support.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that one cannot do a blood draw over the phone.

To the OP. Surely a district nurse can do a blood draw and consultations can be by phone?
If you get no joy try contacting PALS service in your area. Good Luck.
I assumed that as the need for seeing the nurse was after a blood test had been done, it was a followup to that, not another test.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I assumed that as the need for seeing the nurse was after a blood test had been done, it was a followup to that, not another test.

Aye but as we all know once the diagnosis has been made there are reviews involving physical exams. I'm not sure how the OP is going to get around this problem hence my advice to contact PALS.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There must be some way round it. There are many housebound diabetics who need physical exams - foot tickling, blood pressure, injections and so on. The District Nurses do all this, but maybe not allowed to do full reviews.