Pre Diabetes

laura53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there if someone had a score of 7.8 would you consider this on the cusp of pre diabetes ?

Thank you

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
PS - and welcome to the forums, by the way.

laura53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Laura, welcome to the forum.

Is that your hba1c result?
This was a result in 2014 on a general blood test. Wasn't informed of any results. Fast forward to 2023 went to Dr feeling rough and got told Type 2 diabetic. Nurse said "You were pré diabetic in 2014 bit did nothing so your fault". Surgery now saying they had no reason to inform.

• Hug
Reactions: Grandma Misti

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was a result in 2014 on a general blood test. Wasn't informed of any results. Fast forward to 2023 went to Dr feeling rough and got told Type 2 diabetic. Nurse said "You were pré diabetic in 2014 bit did nothing so your fault". Surgery now saying they had no reason to inform.
Your story is fairly common here, I've seen a number of people saying they weren't informed of blood test results until they were full-on T2 diabetic.

I'd suggest asking for some more information from your doctor. You need to know if that 2014 result was your serum blood glucose level (a point in time snapshot at the moment your bloods were taken) or if it was an hba1c result. Beyond that, if they've now confirmed you're diabetic, ask what your recent blood test result for hba1c was.

I'd recommend registering for the NHS app if you haven't got it already. It's a bit of a faff, but you'll be able to look at all of your test results at your leisure on the app then, rather than being at the mercy of your surgery.

• Useful
Reactions: Outlier

laura53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will ask for a copy of the results and come back to you, thank you

Reactions: Paul_

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was only when I went online to see my results in 2020 that I saw i had a prediabetic level back in 2006, yet in the intervening 14 years no one, absolutely no one from the surgery ever mentioned it to me.
There had been no follow up tests, no advice, nothing.

So, in your shoes, I think you are entitled to ask why you had had no follow up tests.
And, like a lot of us, you may well learn that a helpful and knowledgeable diabetes nurse is a rare creature indeed, so most of us just nod, smile, walk away and manage our own health.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and Paul_

laura53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh I'm sorry to hear that. So far for me the stock answer has been they had no reason to oh and you've a responsibility to manage your own health !

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Was told emphatically that I wasn't diabetic (I had a good number of nasty symptoms) and I believed that. No-one mentioned that my BG was out of normal range and climbing steadily. And then suddenly I was diabetic after all. And having got my BG back to normal, the diabetic symptoms and a lot of other stuff (CPAP and the like) went away.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I knew I was pre-diabetic for years, just as I know I had high triglycerides for years. But my GP just told me to deal with it by continuing to eat Low Fat with lots of whole grains since there was no obvious medication for it unless/until it got worse.
It was only after both a 3x bypass and being diagnosed T2D that I discovered that there was something I could have done, but it was against all their guidance!

• Hug
Reactions: Grandma Misti

laura53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I knew I was pre-diabetic for years, just as I know I had high triglycerides for years. But my GP just told me to deal with it by continuing to eat Low Fat with lots of whole grains since there was no obvious medication for it unless/until it got worse.
It was only after both a 3x bypass and being diagnosed T2D that I discovered that there was something I could have done, but it was against all their guidance!
Wow !!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm surprised that anybody is surprised by this. Any Type 2 diabetic can prove current dietary advice (and that for the last 30yrs) wrong by testing an NHS advised 'healthy meal' against a meal consisting of bacon and eggs, or scrambled, boiled, poached eggs. The low carb meal won't spike blood glucose (taking a reading just before eating to one 2hrs after first bite) and is hence labeled as unhealthy, and the 'healthy' whole grains, low fat, fruity meal will spike blood glucose (a lot for most) - but this one is the 'healthy meal' even though diabetes can cause blindness, amputations and death and is a leading factor correlating to Coronary Heart Disease! But hey - that's a good reason to then take statins which are known to often also raise Blood Glucose and other serious side effects.

Reactions: Outlier

laura53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So. Got a copy of the test. The test they did was Plasma Glucose Test (XM0ly).

Thoughts?

To me it's not a full test but an indicator?

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised that anybody is surprised by this. Any Type 2 diabetic can prove current dietary advice (and that for the last 30yrs) wrong by testing an NHS advised 'healthy meal' against a meal consisting of bacon and eggs, or scrambled, boiled, poached eggs. The low carb meal won't spike blood glucose (taking a reading just before eating to one 2hrs after first bite) and is hence labeled as unhealthy, and the 'healthy' whole grains, low fat, fruity meal will spike blood glucose (a lot for most) - but this one is the 'healthy meal' even though diabetes can cause blindness, amputations and death and is a leading factor correlating to Coronary Heart Disease! But hey - that's a good reason to then take statins which are known to often also raise Blood Glucose and other serious side effects.

There are many, many people for whom the recommended diet is an aspiration. They eat far, far worse. There are many reasons including money, the tastes they acquired as a child, lack of cooking skills, and in some cases not having somewhere they can prepare meals. If everyone was eating at least as well as those recommendations, the number of people with obesity, T2 & related diseases would be much lower.

I think there is also the normalisation of over-size portions going on. I remember seeing some people who had won Masterchef and set up a restaurant. Apparently people said their steaks were best, meaning 'the largest'. IMHO many people prefer quantity over quality even when there are no other issues going on for them.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As in original question. 7.8 mmol

This was a fasting glucose test? If so, it's not the cusp of pre-diabetes.

Normal: Below 5.5 mmol/l (100 mg/dl)
Impaired fasting glucose: Between 5.5 and 6.9 mmol/l (between 100 mg/dl and 125 mg/dl)
Diabetic: 7.0 mmol/l and above (126 mg/dl and above)

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So. Got a copy of the test. The test they did was Plasma Glucose Test (XM0ly).

Thoughts?

To me it's not a full test but an indicator?
The plasma glucose test is just a measure of your blood glucose at the point in time your bloods were taken. It's the equivalent of a fingerprick test essentially, just more accurate.

Did you fast before the blood test was done, or had you eaten/drank something other than water beforehand?