Wylfen

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
This forum. Full of nutters.
Hello,

Typed this already then accidentally closed my browser, has anyone else done that haha!

OK, I was diagnosed Type 2 8 years ago. 3.5 years ago I developed DKA and was prescribed insulin on a basal/bolus regime. I count carbs. I was told I should have been on insulin from the start as I have a damaged pancreas.

I don’t have access to health care team: I was discharged for re-booking an appointment twice. I was mentally ill and couldn’t leave the house. I have no-one to ask for help.
I’ve gained 4 stone since I started using insulin. I’m now on a diet which I have stuck to rigidly for 5 and-a-bit weeks.

I’m having pre-dinner highs and it is doing my nut in.

I looked on the internet and found articles suggesting my CHO calculation at lunch may br wrong. It isn’t: I have the same every day and depending on the size of the apple the CHO is 46-50.
I’ve tried rounding down, rounding up, adding an extra unit. I usually exercise 2-2.5 hours after lunch. I’ve tested 2 hours after lunch and been within range. I’ve tested after exercise and the BG has been the same or slightly higher. I don’t have endless test strips and can’t get more. I don’t have money to buy extra.

I have attached my BG readings for the full 5 weeks I have been dieting. The 3rd and 4th days on each week are Saturday and Sunday (my diet started in a Thursday) and I’ve been having pasta which is why the BG is high before bed. I’ve haven’t worked out how to tackle that: I’ve has extra insulin and had a hypo yet when I have the right amount my BG is always high. I’m not so worried about that to be honest. My main problem is the pre-dinner highs.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’m not looking for diet advice. I am happy with the food I eat as I’ve lost 1 st 5.5lb in 5 weeks. I’ve tried keto and fasting in the past and my BG rocketed and I am not going to try them again. I only mention this as I tried the forum a few years ago and was bombarded with people trying to convert me and I’m not interested.

I need practical advice for someone eating regular food. I don’t eat any junk food although I do have 1 Tic Tac most days. I only drink water and tea with a bit of milk and the occasional coffee with a bit of milk. I don’t add sugar, sweeteners or salt to anything.

Sorry for the long post but the more detail the more accurate the response.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Week 1.png
    Week 1.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Week 2.png
    Week 2.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Week 3.png
    Week 3.png
    44 KB · Views: 246
  • Week 4.png
    Week 4.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Week 5.png
    Week 5.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 245

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @Wylfen , and welcome to the forum!

Typed this already then accidentally closed my browser, has anyone else done that haha!
Yes! And it always happens with long, thoughtful texts, never with the quick 3-word messages :grumpy:

A few things come to mind.
OK, I was diagnosed Type 2 8 years ago. 3.5 years ago I developed DKA and was prescribed insulin on a basal/bolus regime. I count carbs. I was told I should have been on insulin from the start as I have a damaged pancreas.
If your pancreas is damaged and doesn't produce enough insulin you would be a T3C, and not a T2. DKA is strongly associated with T1, although it's not unheard of in T2's.
Sounds like semantics, but I think in the UK your type makes a difference in getting funding for things like extra test strips, a continuous glucose monitor or a pump. I don't know the fine details, though, as I'm not from the UK.

You really shouldn't be doing this diabetes thing without the help from a health care team, preferably an endocrinologist and diabetes nurse. Is there a way you can get access to them?

Have you done a DAFNE course? I haven't (as not from the UK) but from what I've heard it can be very useful.

Many people take a split bolus for foods that are carby and fatty (pasta, pizza etc.), as they tend to spike later. That may be of use as well.

Good luck!

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only way I was able to keep my blood sugar within range was to drastically reduce the carbs I was eating. There are some carbs I have never been able to accurately bolus for, such as pasta, which I used to eat every day, but that life is over now.