Prediabetes & NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme

Marina2019

My recent HBA1C was 43 and my GP has referred me to the Diabetes Prevention programme. My HBA1C has been hovering around the upper end of normal or just above for the past few years so have been having annual tests. There is a lot of diabetes in my family so there is a genetic link.

I just wondered if anyone else has taken part in the Diabetes Prevention Programme (it is run by ICS in my area) and if you would recommend it? I have my first consultation with a health coach next week but attending the programme is going to be tricky as I work full time. I didn't realise when the GP referred me that is was so intensive starting off with 7 weekly sessions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rob957

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, don't usually reply to posts but feel that in this case must comment. I was diagnosed s prediabetic in July 2017 and referred to the x-pert diabetes prevention course. I found the course very informative & supportive with LCHF very keenly promoted. With the support of the course and tutors I lost 15Kg in weight and lowered My Hba1c to 41 (from 44 in the 10 week programme). I know that we are all different and have different experiences from health care workers. I could give a history of care that has caused a lot of family distress, but that is not helpful or relevant. Not all advice or recommendations via the NHS are bad and blanket negative comments are not useful especially to newly diagnosed and anxious posters.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, don't usually reply to posts but feel that in this case must comment. I was diagnosed s prediabetic in July 2017 and referred to the x-pert diabetes prevention course. I found the course very informative & supportive with LCHF very keenly promoted. With the support of the course and tutors I lost 15Kg in weight and lowered My Hba1c to 41 (from 44 in the 10 week programme). I know that we are all different and have different experiences from health care workers. I could give a history of care that has caused a lot of family distress, but that is not helpful or relevant. Not all advice or recommendations via the NHS are bad and blanket negative comments are not useful especially to newly diagnosed and anxious posters.

Xpert and the Diabetes Prevention prog are quite different beasts though..

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/nhs-dpp-service-specification-aug-2019.pdf

Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 14.05.21.png

Sigh...note the "must"

CliveUK

I not sure if what you are describing is the same thing but I am currently attending a local Diabetes Prevention programme. It consists of about an hour and a half every week for 4 weeks (I have week 4 this coming week) after that there are once monthly sessions, I'm not quite sure just how long they go on for. They are group sessions of about 20 people with the course teacher running through a sort of planned syllabus over the 4 weeks.

I am sure they are useful for some people but personally I don't feel I have so far got that much from them. There is a lot of useful info given but also the main aim seems to be to motivate people into action as regards diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. Motivating people is of course really good but before I went I was already highly motivated, spent many hours doing research, had a planned diet and had purchased a home glucose monitor. I am already a bit of an exercise and fitness nut running an average of about 20k a week so I think I have that side of things covered too.

That's my two pennies' worth, hope that's some help :)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I not sure if what you are describing is the same thing bit I am currently attending a local Diabetes Prevention programme. It consists of about an hour and a half every week for 4 weeks (I have week 4 this coming week) after that there are once monthly sessions, I'm not quite sure just how long they go on for. They are group sessions of about 20 people with the course teacher running through a sort of planned syllabus over the 4 weeks.

I am sure they are useful for some people but personally I don't feel I have so far got that much from them. There is a lot of useful info given but also the main aim seems to be to motivate people into action as regards diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. Motivating people is of course really good but before I went I was already highly motivated, spent many hours doing research, had a planned diet and had purchased a home glucose monitor. I am already a bit of an exercise and fitness nut running about a average of about 20k a week so I think I have that side of things covered too.

That's my two pennies' worth, hope that's some help :)

What dietary advice did you receive from the programme?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only basic stuff so far, apparently this coming weeks session they going into it in more detail, we will see.

Would be very interested to hear what they advise as looking at the specification for the course it won't help much.
If you could report back and tag me in that would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Reactions: Energize

CliveUK

I do agree, I would recommend anybody to go along and see for yourself how helpful they are to you personally. I am still glad I went and I do intend to complete the course.

Reactions: silentman

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd agree that X-Pert are very low carb freindly but sadly not everyone has that option as I understand other cheaper and shorter courses get offered in many areas. It would be great if courses could focus on the dietary options and discuss them options in a neutral way. The outdated advice referred to is the carb dominant 'eatwell plate' which emphasises High Carb and low Fat which may not prevent the progression into T2 as effectively as low carb over the long term.

Skinny43

I went to the first session of our local Diabetes Prevention Programme last week (run by ICS). They are fortnightly so next week is the session 2.

I’m still debating whether I want to go to the second session or not at the moment. I didn’t actually learn much new stuff from the first session. When some people asked about the different types of carbohydrates, the tutor said she couldn’t go into technical details because she had to work with NHS way of coaching. Shen said to go to deeper details will be beyond grasp for some students in the room. So I felt I could learn a lot more here:).
Plus it was a 2 hour session and I also work full time so it felt like I wasted 2 hours last week. Only very basic stuff was covered - bmi, waist measurement, eatwell guide.
I think if you are someone who needs motivation definitely go. If like me self motivated I’m not sure. I’ve already started LCHF diet and it’s working really well I’m not going to change to anything else. And I’ve always been an exercise addict so I don’t need their help. However later in the programme they cover topics like sleep, stress management and stuff - which I could learn something about.
So I’ve not made up my mind so can’t advise you one way or another. I think it all depends on your personal situation. You could at least go once and see for yourself.

Good luck!

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too am currently attending the Diabetes Prevention Program run by ICS (for the NHS) which started with an initial assessment of height, weight, BMI, etc, back in August. I'm due to attend session 6 of the first 7 weekly sessions this week. So far I have found the sessions informative and I like that they track your weight (discreetly) to aid in your progress. We were given the X-Pert Health Diabetes Prevention & Maintenance reference books to keep, which makes interesting reading. Whilst the tutor is well-informed, I find the message is really to be self-motivational, given all the information and facts. They cover the Low-Fat, Mediterrean and Low-Carb diets, but advocate neither, so make your own mind up. After the first 7 weekly sessions, there are a further 4 sessions at monthly intervals with a 9 month review. The sessions started with around 15 participants, we are currently down to 7! I adopted the low-carb (keto) diet and have lost weight, but it's not been without it's difficulties. I'll continue attending, if only to get my weight tracked.

JLowth

Hi I am very very new to being diagnosed “pre-diabetic. I have dropped from 11.968 stone to 7.401 stone within 15 months. Don’t want to lose anymore weight but can’t eat too many carbs or have too much sugar. So, what do I eat to pick up weight as I keep losing weight?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am very very new to being diagnosed “pre-diabetic. I have dropped from 11.968 stone to 7.401 stone within 15 months. Don’t want to lose anymore weight but can’t eat too many carbs or have too much sugar. So, what do I eat to pick up weight as I keep losing weight?
Proteins and fats.

Reactions: JLowth

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the weightloss is unintentional then you ought to be back to the GP asking for more tests - just in case you need insulin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you for your answer, so must I eat a lot of meat, and what kinds of fats? I thought fatty food is bad for pre-diabetics??
As you can deal with protein and fats that is what you should eat - you don't need to eat meat, though that is good, eggs, seafood - even baked goods with gluten might help.
The low fat fad has 'healthied' whole nations into obesity - and ill health in general. Whole industries are making money from turning out low fat non foods to be eaten when there is probably more nutritional value in the box.