Predicting blood glucose

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys just thought I would share - I have been an avid app user since my 1st smartphone many moons ago and have never been compelled to write a review until I started using the Predict BGL app. I have downloaded many diabetes apps since been diagnosed T1D 13 months ago and whilst the majority of them can correctly calculate your insulin requirements based on your carb ratio and carbs input, whilst being great to keep records and producing detailed reports and graphs etc – none come close in my opinion to predict BGL. This is a fantastic app which does all the above and much, much more. Having struggled with hypos and getting my carb ratio right since been diagnosed, I thought I would give Predict BGL a try. I was a bit taken aback initially with how detailed the app was and the amount of information the user needs to input, however, after using the app it soon becomes clear. The app is very informative and utilises all the data input to basically predict your blood glucose levels which is shows on a plotted graph up to eight hours in advance (although the free version only predicts an hour in advance) with that said, the beauty of this app is that based on your blood glucose levels and carb intake (optional proteins and fats), etc, you can see trends in your glucose levels and receive based on data input you get invaluable help from a coach re adjustments for consideration to your carb/insulin ratio, if it is recommended that you delay eating, or may be required to administer a correction dose. The app keeps track of IOB and recalculates doses etc etc. You can download detailed reports, the app keeps track of total hypos, average blood glucose, exercise info, average carbs consumed and estimated A1C and more. Using this app along side the advice from my DNS and users of this forum have really helped me get where I am today reducing my Hypos to only 1-2 every other month down from about 15-17 a month, helped me reduce my hyper’s an also helped me lower my A1C from 9.7% to 6.8% . This app has a nice function of anticipating the dawn effect and helping me adjust my dose for this reducing my hypers in a morning!! I used to worry each day in case of a hypo and tested myself far too often I am now more relaxed. The app is very accurate – I can not say that it correctly predicts my blood glucose 100 % all of the time but it is now usually within .5 mmol, but on saying that the app can only be as accurate as the info you input. I would certainly recommend this app to any T1 diabetic on MDI to try! And being fairly newly diagnosed I felt this app was a life saver my only worry now is if I lost my phone lol!!!

Reactions: Prem51

mar_ia_

Hi guys just thought I would share - I have been an avid app user since my 1st smartphone many moons ago and have never been compelled to write a review until I started using the Predict BGL app. I have downloaded many diabetes apps since been diagnosed T1D 13 months ago and whilst the majority of them can correctly calculate your insulin requirements based on your carb ratio and carbs input, whilst being great to keep records and producing detailed reports and graphs etc – none come close in my opinion to predict BGL. This is a fantastic app which does all the above and much, much more. Having struggled with hypos and getting my carb ratio right since been diagnosed, I thought I would give Predict BGL a try. I was a bit taken aback initially with how detailed the app was and the amount of information the user needs to input, however, after using the app it soon becomes clear. The app is very informative and utilises all the data input to basically predict your blood glucose levels which is shows on a plotted graph up to eight hours in advance (although the free version only predicts an hour in advance) with that said, the beauty of this app is that based on your blood glucose levels and carb intake (optional proteins and fats), etc, you can see trends in your glucose levels and receive based on data input you get invaluable help from a coach re adjustments for consideration to your carb/insulin ratio, if it is recommended that you delay eating, or may be required to administer a correction dose. The app keeps track of IOB and recalculates doses etc etc. You can download detailed reports, the app keeps track of total hypos, average blood glucose, exercise info, average carbs consumed and estimated A1C and more. Using this app along side the advice from my DNS and users of this forum have really helped me get where I am today reducing my Hypos to only 1-2 every other month down from about 15-17 a month, helped me reduce my hyper’s an also helped me lower my A1C from 9.7% to 6.8% . This app has a nice function of anticipating the dawn effect and helping me adjust my dose for this reducing my hypers in a morning!! I used to worry each day in case of a hypo and tested myself far too often I am now more relaxed. The app is very accurate – I can not say that it correctly predicts my blood glucose 100 % all of the time but it is now usually within .5 mmol, but on saying that the app can only be as accurate as the info you input. I would certainly recommend this app to any T1 diabetic on MDI to try! And being fairly newly diagnosed I felt this app was a life saver my only worry now is if I lost my phone lol!!!
Hello! I'm a
Full name is PredictBGL Diabetes logbook

Hello!

I'm interested in knowing a bit more about that app...so i would appreciate your input! The user manual i downloaded from their website is quite involved...

I wonder: how much user input is required by the app? Does it generate many alarms? How do you get notified? And how correct is it?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I'm a

Hello!

I'm interested in knowing a bit more about that app...so i would appreciate your input! The user manual i downloaded from their website is quite involved...

I wonder: how much user input is required by the app? Does it generate many alarms? How do you get notified? And how correct is it?

Thanks a lot!!!!
Hi the app does seem a little daunting at first i must admit and there is quite a lot of user info initially to input re insulin requirements, carb ratios, height, weight, correction ratios, active insulin times etc etc... however once done all the user needs to do is input the blood glucose and carbs per meal and the app will calculate the insulin requirements obviously based on user input and show a prediction of blood glucose for up to the following 8 hours. There are alarms for meal times, to check to follow up on any hypos etc and should the app predict incorrectly - you get advice ie correction dose may be incorrect, too many carbs etc and offers advice. after using for a few weeks i found that the prediction at times is bang on but at other times may be slightly out - however this would occur at times of being a little unwell or exercise etc. I found it a great app to use as a baseline. My advice would be to try out the app but not to initially take the information as gospel regarding the predictions and changes to insulin. The app itself is great to calculate insulin requirements based on carbs and also keeps track of insulin on boad and adjusts correction doses accoringly. But you must make sure all appropriate info is input as it is only as good as the data input by the user. I myself used the app for a few weeks along side my normal diabetes management to see how it performed and if the recommendations worked true and was very surprised. All i can say is try the app and see how it works for you but please do not make any significant changes to your insulin needs soley based on the app.... manage your diabetes as recommended by your DNS and your own personal requirements and use the app as a logging tool.... over time you will see wheather or not the app performs well for you... i personally have found it to work brilliantly for me. If you try it i hope it helps you as much as it has helped me:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the review @Postleneo . I used this app around 18 months ago. I found it didn't do a great job for me at all, and I ended up very frustrated and stopped using it, as the predictions used to be rather a long way out. I also found the user interface to be really fussy, but the development team were willing to take feedback and improve it. It looks as though it has had further development since then and now offers a more effective model.

For those interested, it is part of a platform called "ManageBGL", and whilst it has a multitude of options, including the ability to use Dexcom share (as long as you are in the US), Nightscout, (as long as you use Azure) and also has the ability to use Fat and Protein in bolus calculations and predictions, to get the most out of it you need to pay for the subscription model.