Pregabalin/Gabapentin Side Effects & Neuropathy

Caz1204

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I am a first time poster so please bear with me if I am giving too much information.

I am 50 years old, average weight (although have lost 8 stone in 5 years) and was diagnosed with Type 1 after a severe DKA in Oct last year, however when I checked my paperwork from my last diabetic check up in June it said LADA. So that will be my first question when I speak to the team at my next check up in Dec.

I am taking insulin (Lantus and Novarapid) and appear to be maintaining a good BG level, my sensor usually shows an estimated Hba1c at 6.2%. I have been taking Pregabalin for the past 8 weeks for neuropathy as my feet were driving me nuts. They would have a burning sensation at the same time as feeling cold (which I know does not make sense), if anything touched them it felt like sandpaper was being dragged over them. They started me on 100mg for the first 4 weeks and then upped it to 150mg as there seemed to be a 20% improvement in the feet on the 100mg but since the dosage increased I now have a constant ache in my arms and shoulders. If I make any sudden movements it feels like my muscles are tearing and is excruciating but that does calm down quite quickly. I am also having to use a step just to be able to use the top shelf of the fridge as my shoulders do not seem to want to allow my arms to go that high. I have advised the GP’s and they are changing the Pregabalin for Gabapentin next week.

The Pregabalin had helped with the feet quite a lot but I need my arms more so I suppose this post is to ask if anyone else has experienced this side effect with Pregabalin and if so will the aches and pains subside once I come off of it. Also having experienced this what can I expect on Gabapentin as the side effect leaflets for both are pretty much identical.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for the neuropathy?

Thank you for reading and if you can help I would be most grateful.

Reactions: Prancy

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Sorry I can't help. But can say I have taken Pregabalin on 2 occasions - both for Sciatica. I didn't experience any side effects other than the pain going away.

nannoo_bird

Hi Caz. I have had diabetic neuropathy for many years now, and for a few years I was on Pregabelin then Gabapentin. They certainly helped with the foot pain, but I found my brain turning to mush, so I decided to stop taking this type of drug. Do NOT suddenly stop - you need to come off these medications slowly. I had severe panic attacks and other side effects. I strongly urge you to have a look at the Facebook groups for both these drugs where many people have had awful side effects from these drugs. I am not saying this happens to everyone by any means, but I would never recommend them. I have found the following helps - keep your feet well moisturised, and have Epsom salt footbaths. At night I use either Vicks chest rub (look it up!!) on my feet, or Deep Heat. If the tingling or pain is bad, I wear compression socks, which you can get on Amazon. You can get similar relief by wrapping your feet in cling film (I am not crazy, you can find all these remedies on Google). Wrap your feet snugly, but not tightly, as you may cause damage. Good luck. x

Caz1204

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. I will try the suggestions as I don't think I want to start the gababentin until I know if the problems with the arms clears up.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I share your concern. I have one spot of heat on my right foot. It’s about the size of a half dollar coin. It’s been there for 4 years. Not sure if due to tarsal tunnel syndrome or neuropathy. Seeing neurologist soon. In the meantime i have a prescription for a small dose of Gabapentin. My burning is pretty bad. I think I’m going to try it.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had similar painful neuropathy and particularly the "burning while cold" sensation. Zero medication. My neuropathy started at HbA1c levels of 43 or 44. I was firmly told I wasn't diabetic.

However the pain and other symptoms cleared up very quickly once my BG was back at normal levels. High BGs over time damage both nerves and capillaries, and go for the longest nerves first.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With an a1c of 43…..I’m in US, so that means 6.4, right? Man, I’m not sure how I’ll get mine that low. I’m waiting for my new pump, Medtronic 780g to be delivered. I’m hoping it can help me. I’m trying so hard. I used to be in 6 range, but not lately. My Endo is pleased with my a1 c in 6-7 range. I’m so scared.

Last edited: