Tinkleberry

In the past few weeks since I've had libre, my dsn and consultant have been lowering my overnight degludec due to learning I've been having long hypos in the night. In the past week however I've had 3 bad night time hypos. I've been waking up shaking, feeling drunk etc and been around 2.3. I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and I've been poorly with a cold and virus the past week too.

Can this affect hypos to anybody's knowledge? I'll be speaking to my dsn this week about this but just wanted to hear from anybody who might have experienced similar.

Thanks!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh dear, pregnancy, colds and hypos sound like a grim combo. Normally colds put your blood sugar up, as does pregnancy, so is it possible that you put your insulin up too much because of the cold and have got out of balance? Also, if you have a lot of hypos then your liver glycogen stores can get depleted?

Could you get an alarm for your libre so you get woken at 4.5 rather than waking yourself at 2.3 (though be aware the libre is particularly prone to under read at night and during hypos, so I wouldn't trust the exact figure without a blood test)? I believe that the miao miao is popular though as I'm no longer a libre user (allergic to the sensors) I'm not the right person to comment on this.

Good luck, I really feel for you on the hypos. I partially lost hypo awareness and had some horrendous hospital inducing hypos during both my pregnancies and ended up being babysat by friends when I was alone with my toddler during my second one. I would have killed (not quite literally) for a cgm, but this was more than two decades ago and a long time pre cgm. :)

Tinkleberry

Oh dear, pregnancy, colds and hypos sound like a grim combo. Normally colds put your blood sugar up, as does pregnancy, so is it possible that you put your insulin up too much because of the cold and have got out of balance? Also, if you have a lot of hypos then your liver glycogen stores can get depleted?

Could you get an alarm for your libre so you get woken at 4.5 rather than waking yourself at 2.3 (though be aware the libre is particularly prone to under read at night and during hypos, so I wouldn't trust the exact figure without a blood test)? I believe that the miao miao is popular though as I'm no longer a libre user (allergic to the sensors) I'm not the right person to comment on this.

Good luck, I really feel for you on the hypos. I partially lost hypo awareness and had some horrendous hospital inducing hypos during both my pregnancies and ended up being babysat by friends when I was alone with my toddler during my second one. I would have killed (not quite literally) for a cgm, but this was more than two decades ago and a long time pre cgm. :)
Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't changed my insulin for the cold or pregnancy so concerned why this is happening! I will contact my nurse about it but in the mean time have set up an alarm for the middle of the night (although I have a 1 year old so probably not necessary)

Thanks again

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
but in the mean time have set up an alarm for the middle of the night (although I have a 1 year old so probably not necessary)

The point about adding a transmitter such as the miao miao to your libre is that it should send an alarm to your phone if you go too low.... so no need to wake unless that goes off. Though I agree, who needs alarms with a 1 year old?
Good luck again