PREGNANT AND LOW BG

Mummyofone_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for reading, I'm type 2 on humilin s, humulin I and SR metformin. I'm approx 7 weeks pregnant and tonight I cannot seem to control my bg's tonight. Approx 2 hrs after afternoon snack I was 3.6, so took a mouthful of lucozade and 5 pieces chocolate and 20 mins later was 6.1, 1hr later 7.6, then 3.8 2 hours later. Took some more lucozade and chocolate and was 4.9 after 15 mins, then 4.3 after a further hour. Ate some Thai jasmine rice with chicken and a chocolate aero dessert without insulin and was 11.1 after 1 hr. So took 8 units of humlin s and 1hr later was 5.8, 30 mins later 4.3, so I ate bowl of pecan nut clusters and 3 glucose tabs and was 5.3 15 mins later and 1 hr later upto 10. But just 15 mins later dropped again to 8.2. I know there's a lot of readings and the later 2 are higher, but it's only taking 15 mins or so to drop back down by 2. Am I right to be worried, I can't seem to sleep In case I hypo badly. I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice. Thank you.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a type 2 so it may be different but as a type 1 if I went hypo while on injections I would treat the hypo with lucozade and then eat something longer-acting such as a banana, biscuits, glass of milk. If you are only having short acting carbs (the lucozade/chocolate) your bg will rise but then fall again pretty quickly. Hopefully a type 2 will be along soon to confirm/give other suggestions.

By the way, 8 units is quite a lot to take if your bg is at 11 - did this match your carb intake according to your insulin:carb ratio?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be a little concerned that your B/G is being allowed to swing up and down to such a degree. Reaching a low of 3.6 mmol/L is hypo and need immediate reversal action, hence the fast acting Lucosade drink, but this should be considered as being quick redemial action.
It is better if you can to try to maintain you B/G within the 'Safe' working band, and though I realise that this is difficult it is far better than swinging from extreems of high to low.
Now that you are supporting a developing child, controlling your B/G levels become much more important. Perhaps a revised choice of diet where the foods are selected from Low/Midium Gi/GL loadings can help you in leveling off these wide high/low swings.
It will also have the additional benifit in ensuring that you are then able to keep your Insulin requirment also reduced and you will acheive a much better overall B/G control which is better for both yourself and the developing baby.
Best Wishes for the future - Lazybones