Pretty Low readings 2 hours after eating?

DazG

I have just started to test my blood again, I was put off before by the cost of the strips.

Anyway,

Woke up this morning and I was at 5.1
2 hours later, after eating 2 pieces of low GI bread - toasted, my reading was 5.5

Didnt test at lunch because I had a light snack of cheese and pickles.

Tea time, when I tested I was 4.7
I ate a large bowl of stew for tea ( contained carrots, swede, potato, french onion soup etc) 2 hours later my reading is 5.9

So my question is, am I on too much medication? I take 750mg Sr Metformin twice a day, but have only taken the 1 so far today.

Or are these normal good readings because of the metformin?

Thanks!

aboz

Hi these are good readings the ideal is between 5 and7 and as for test strips as a registered diabetic you should be able to have them on prescription,see your gp.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
The simple and quick answer is NO! ....and to expand, you are spot on target so keep on doing what you are doing .. .. well done for getting it right 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daz,

Those bg readings are fantastic mate........................well done! :)

Nigel

DazG

Thanks Nigel, might switch back to the Burgen and see how much lower they will go after breakfast considering the carb difference between that and the Greggs bread. Thankfully I can be quite strict with what I eat so its not much of a hassle for me to stick to, and there is plenty of stew left for us for today so I will expect similar readings tonight :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Daz.
Have you ever tested after 3 and 4 hrs as I find that Bread tends to peak a little later when I eat it....
Same with the stew with all the carrots and spuds.........just a thought. :)

DazG

Not something I had thought about actually, but I will give it a go today, and keep my fingers crossed!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
DazG said:
Thanks Nigel, might switch back to the Burgen and see how much lower they will go after breakfast considering the carb difference between that and the Greggs bread. Thankfully I can be quite strict with what I eat so its not much of a hassle for me to stick to, and there is plenty of stew left for us for today so I will expect similar readings tonight :D

Can't beat a good stew, my mother was just talking about stews the other day when I visited her. I love good old fashioned home cooking, my wife makes a good stew and a lovely potato pot with proper butchers black pudding and not that rubbish you buy in the supermarkets. One of my favourites is Shepard's pie, you can replace the potato topping with sweet potatoes instead should you wish, but I love the burnt bits on the side and fight with the rest of my family to get to them first! :lol:

Nigel

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
good BG readings, only get strips from the doctors as dealing with the hospital who are changing my medication around and they need to know what the readings are

doctors have decreed that t2 diabetics have no need to test blood sugar and refuse to provide any on prescriptions

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
steve_sandy said:
doctors have decreed that t2 diabetics have no need to test blood sugar and refuse to provide any on prescriptions

Not always the case Steve as my gp practice prescribe test strips for type 2's, how many they get in a 12 month period I am unsure about.

Nigel