Private Blood Testing Labs

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone please recommend a lab for HbA1c tests and also full panel Thyroid. Would rather go with a recommendation rather pot luck from google.

Had HbA1c on Monday, results "within acceptable range" no number. Appointment on 3 April to discuss cholesterol (non fasting blood test). I have an appointment with GP on 1st April to discuss hair thining and will probably cancel the appointment on 3rd April on the way out.

No words to describe my current mood. Furious doesn't cut it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't you get a print out of your test results or see them on-line?

Why didn't you fast for the test? No matter what you are told, non-fasting will affect your lipid results.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @bulkbiker will look into both.

@Bluetit1802 No, Decision at local level is not to put results on line. It might "upset" someone. The actual result for HbA1c is "within acceptable range". There will be no full lipid panel for cholesterol. Last time I asked for a full lipid panel I had to have blood taken three times before they did one properly and I fasted each time.

This fiasco is not doing my blood pressure any good at all.

M

Member496333

I used Medichecks just recently for a fasting insulin test. Very impressive service overall, although I have nothing to compare it to.

Reactions: ziggy_w
M

Member496333

Thanks @bulkbiker will look into both.

@Bluetit1802 No, Decision at local level is not to put results on line. It might "upset" someone. The actual result for HbA1c is "within acceptable range". There will be no full lipid panel for cholesterol. Last time I asked for a full lipid panel I had to have blood taken three times before they did one properly and I fasted each time.

This fiasco is not doing my blood pressure any good at all.

For similar reasons I have decided that Medichecks will be doing all my future blood work. I’m not interested in the aggravation of doing things through my GP. Personally I prefer to pay for a professional service that allows me to choose what to test for and when :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Medichecks or Blue Horizon.

Both those sites often do discounts on their thyroid panels.

Reactions: xfieldok

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at your signature you have been given your HbA1c result numbers. What’s changed? Why go to the expense of going privately when the numbers are sitting on your NHS record? They may not let you access them online but a print out should be made available. I’d call/email the Practice Manager to put in a formal request for your results.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone please recommend a lab for HbA1c tests and also full panel Thyroid. Would rather go with a recommendation rather pot luck from google.

Had HbA1c on Monday, results "within acceptable range" no number. Appointment on 3 April to discuss cholesterol (non fasting blood test). I have an appointment with GP on 1st April to discuss hair thining and will probably cancel the appointment on 3rd April on the way out.

I was very happy with Medichecks. They have some good offers on at the moment if you want more done.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Maybe ask your dr for a full fasting lipids panel they should give you one I asked for it when mine were high as neededa properlook at the figures. I’ve also used Thriva for fulllipid panels in between times and find them excellent with results following day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@xfieldok I’ve also used Medichecks successfully on a couple of occasions. Very professional service and the phlebotomists at their London clinic can get blood out of me more quickly and almost pain free; more than can be said for those at my regular surgery. I also can’t get results online but the GP will email them to me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
[USER=94045]@Bluetit1802
No, Decision at local level is not to put results on line. It might "upset" someone. The actual result for HbA1c is "within acceptable range". There will be no full lipid panel for cholesterol. Last time I asked for a full lipid panel I had to have blood taken three times before they did one properly and I fasted each time.

This fiasco is not doing my blood pressure any good at all.[/USER]

[COLOR=#000000]You are entitled to the full print out from the lab, and you need to ask for this. It will have all the figures on it, what the standard ranges are, and will show all the things they looked at. All I used to do before mine came on-line was ring the receptionist who than put a copy to one side for me to collect.

Who told you "within acceptable range"?[/COLOR]

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry everyone, not been able to post on my phone, network errors all the time.

To recap. I didn't have a "fasting" blood test, it was at 9am and I had last eaten around 6pm the previous evening. We are told to do a fast if we are having lipids done.

The last time I requested a lipid panel, my blood had to be taken three times before they came back with the lipid results. As far as I knew I was just having the HbA1c.

I phoned the receptionist this morning to request a telephone consultation with anyone who could give me my blood test results. She said "oh, I can do that". I had previously asked a receptionist if she could tell me my results and was told they were not allowed to.

I asked what was the result of my HbA1c and she said it was "within acceptable range". I said there should be a number and that is what I wanted. She just repeated it. She said you have an appointment with ********. I said I didn't. She said I did. I said when? She said, you have an appointment with Dr ******* on 1 April and ******** on 3April to discuss cholesterol.

So when I see the doctor on 1st April I will ask her about the results and cancel ******** on the way out. No fasting and full lipid panel, no talkee statins. No talkee statins anyway.

@Bluetit1802 the doctor will give me a printout when I see her. Hugely annoyed about having to wait for a month.
Don't trust myself to go to the surgery in person at the moment. It's not the girls fault.

I want to talk to the doctor about thining hair/thyroid. I want to take the thyroid test, getting it done myself means I can do it once, and take the results along. I am sure even if something shows up, the doc will say that I need to do one of "their" tests. Then I will have three of those before they do ALL the tests necessary.

This all started at 9am and I am still seething. And the post brought the letter of meeting with ********.

Edited by Moderator to remove HCPs’ names.

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @Rachox, seriously not thinking clearly today. Starting to calm down now! Thanks for the edit.