problem with my eye

cheza31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all i was just wondering if anyone can help me understand whats wrong with my eye. i was told i may need laser surgery in the future but in the last few days my sigh in one eyet has been blurred and i can see a patch of i think its veins but it looks like squiggles. it is affecting my sight as i cant see very well to read or watch tv as i can see it all the time. does anyone have any suggestions as to what it is thankyou

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you been told you have diabetic retinopathy and you suspect that you have had a bleed in the eye then I suggest you go and visit your gp or hospital casualty unit, there they will bleep the on-call Ophthalmologist, by what you've said it does sound like you've had a bleed in the eye.

The following has some great advice on diabetic retinopathy and describes what a haemorrhage of the eye looks like:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you would suspect it's time to go to your dr or go to A&E ...it sounds like the laser might be closer

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your eyes need to be examined by an ophthalmologist, they will need to do a dilated pupil exam to check if you have increased eye pressure, retina problems etc. Some eye conditions need urgent attention, you can go to A&E especially if you see flash of lights, curtain-like/ shadows (have you seen any of this?) or if it all happened suddenly without any symptoms preceding it.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to agree with everyone above. It sounds like you have had a bleed in the eye. That is exactly what mine looked like. Get yourself to A&E and they can do you an emergency referral to the eye clinic. Good luck. Hopefully it'll clear for you over the next few months xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cheza31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
omg i didnt realise it was bad i was just gonna book an appointment to see the eye doctor. it did come on all of a sudden when i was discharged from the hospital after my kidney function went down again. I am going for tests for a kidney and pancreas transplant next month could this affect how quickly i could have the op. oh no im worrying now this just feels like another nail in the coffin!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it shouldn't affect the op, but you may know that now if you went to A&E
My mum had the laser, it sounds worse than it is

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
omg i didnt realise it was bad i was just gonna book an appointment to see the eye doctor. it did come on all of a sudden when i was discharged from the hospital after my kidney function went down again. I am going for tests for a kidney and pancreas transplant next month could this affect how quickly i could have the op. oh no im worrying now this just feels like another nail in the coffin!

Did you get your eye checked out Cheza? If not then I strongly suggest you do so today.

Eye bleeds (if this is the case) often just disappear themselves over a period of days and sometimes weeks, in extreme cases where the bleed is bad and the blood doesn't disperse a Vitrectomy operation is needed to replace the gel of the eye. The Ophthalmologist at your hospital clinic will say if they think the risks are too great to have a transplant over the next few months, once the blood does disperse they may decide to laser your eyes now to prevent further haemorrhages.

Reactions: 2 people