Problem with teflon cannula

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the past week I've had 4 infusion set with problems. I use the tandem 90 degree 6mm sets. Mostly happens in the evening, all sudden my BG start going up and bolus with dinner do not work and even tho I'm adding units not lowering my BG! End up being 18-20 within a hour an the only thing that fixes it is changing the set. I've contacted tandem to get a replacement box incase it's defective and also they're sending a steel cannula to try.

What I'm wondering is why am I sudden having a problem with teflon after using for 4 years?! Is this a common problem with it to all sudden just be a problem?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @hboyt I was using the mio with the Medtronic which was teflon, but it kept kinking so had to switch to pens to bring my levels down, then changed to steel sets and have never had an issue since. I am now using the Tandem and steel tips and so far so good, i've heard many other users experience issues with teflon sets and tbh it's just not worth the hassle.

Reactions: paulpapa and hboyt

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello @hboyt I was using the mio with the Medtronic which was teflon, but it kept kinking so had to switch to pens to bring my levels down, then changed to steel sets and have never had an issue since. I am now using the Tandem and steel tips and so far so good, i've heard many other users experience issues with teflon sets and tbh it's just not worth the hassle.

Thanks for that Juicyj. So strange its all sudden a problem! I hope the steel ones will do the trick!!

Reactions: Juicyj

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the past week I've had 4 infusion set with problems. I use the tandem 90 degree 6mm sets. Mostly happens in the evening, all sudden my BG start going up and bolus with dinner do not work and even tho I'm adding units not lowering my BG! End up being 18-20 within a hour an the only thing that fixes it is changing the set. I've contacted tandem to get a replacement box incase it's defective and also they're sending a steel cannula to try.

What I'm wondering is why am I sudden having a problem with teflon after using for 4 years?! Is this a common problem with it to all sudden just be a problem?

I've been pumping for maybe 11 years using 6mm teflon, recently moved to 9mm and all the issues I was having have gone away, they were much like yours.