Problems...................

SharonBarnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I just wanted to share my frustrations regarding a few problems I am having - probably because I am feeling a little sorry for myself!!
I am a Type 1 Diabetic, having been diagnosed 36 years ago and have been on an Insulin pump for the last 8 years.
February last year I had two frozen shoulders and had to have them manipulated under general anathestic - I still suffer with these at times and try to keep up the exercises but thought I had had my fair share of problems until this week.
After having something go into my eye, scratch it and then come back out again a few years back, I was told it could take years for recovery. After having 3 major flair ups since Christmas and putting more and more drops in my eyes (I was also diagnosed with conjunctivitus incorrectly from my doctor who also gave me the wrong drops - the doctor at the eye clinic went mad!!) I eventually saw a consultant who has advised I have Corneal Dystrophy. As most of us know, you are limited to how much time you have with these professionals so as I was in quite some shock and didn't really get to ask the questions I should have asked I looked on the Internet (I know you shoudn't do this but I did anyway!). This condition is basically that the cornea is lose and not connected to my eye properly. I have had to have a tear duct plug inserted to stop my natural tears from draining away too quickly and am now on Steroid eye drops twice a day for 1 week reducing to 1 a day for 1 week and also anti biotic drops 4 times a day and eye ointment at night to keep my eyes well lubricated throughout the night. If this does not work, they will consider a cornea scrape (YUK!!) and the if all else fails a cornea transplant. It scares me as I am finding that I am more sensitive to light, especially when driving at night, and my vision seems to have deteriorated although the consultant did not seem to be worried about my vision.
I am a very independent person and work on a computer all day so the thought of losing my sight is really scaring me.
I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience of this, whether it is associated with Diabetes (not that I can find anything associating the two on line) and would like to hear from anyone who has personal experience or indirect experience and can shed some light on a somewhat frightening issue

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi ,
sorry i don't have experience of this, i have at the moment got a frozen shoulder though(no help i know) hopefully someone will be along soon to help:)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Sharon
just wanted to respond with a friendly shoulder LOL
I too have had both shoulders frozen at different times and it ain't loads of fun.
Not familiar with your eye issue although I have some retinopathy and macular edema.
[[[[[HUGS]]]]]
keep posting and if you get back to the doctor soon remember you questions! !!!!

Have just Google this and although scary it does appear corneal transplants are an option

Keep your chin up :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SharonBarnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sharon
just wanted to respond with a friendly shoulder LOL
I too have had both shoulders frozen at different times and it ain't loads of fun.
Not familiar with your eye issue although I have some retinopathy and macular edema.
[[[[[HUGS]]]]]
keep posting and if you get back to the doctor soon remember you questions! !!!!

Have just Google this and although scary it does appear corneal transplants are an option

Keep your chin up :)

Thank you for your kind words and "hugs" xx

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Sharon and hello. I am ten years behind you in diabetes terms, but I have two frozen shoulders, left one is the worse and I had an eye operation in August 2013, detached retina was the main problem. It's so scary at times and you are so right about looking for conditions on the internet :(:inpain:
But whilst in the overnight ward recovering from my Op, an elderly man, who came out of the room next door had a cornea operation ( I asked the nurse, I was inquisitive, nosey) and she said he had had a Cornea transplant.
You are certainly going through it Sharon, and I just wish you all the best, keep your chin up and try to keep positive as much as you can,

With my very best wishes RRB x

SharonBarnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sharon and hello. I am ten years behind you in diabetes terms, but I have two frozen shoulders, left one is the worse and I had an eye operation in August 2013, detached retina was the main problem. It's so scary at times and you are so right about looking for conditions on the internet :(:inpain:
But whilst in the overnight ward recovering from my Op, an elderly man, who came out of the room next door had a cornea operation ( I asked the nurse, I was inquisitive, nosey) and she said he had had a Cornea transplant.
You are certainly going through it Sharon, and I just wish you all the best, keep your chin up and try to keep positive as much as you can,

With my very best wishes RRB x

Thank you for your encouragement and support - it helps to hear about others who are in the same situation as yourself xx