Progress and Questions

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have just done my 5th BG and it was 5.3 , my first BG was on thursday morning which was 11.3 , thursday night was 7.8, friday morning was 6.3 , friday evening 5.3 and 5.3 again this morning , with two 5.3 in a row that must be encouraging? Im on the metmorfin and gliclazide. I have been doing around an hour and a half walk each day and have have cut out carbs. My sleeping was really bad last night and my legs have been sore at times, i dont know if im paranoid about that or its just from the walking, also is bacon and oranges ok?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing 2 hours after food?
Bacon is ok.

A large orange has 24g of carbs.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just done my 5th BG and it was 5.3 , my first BG was on thursday morning which was 11.3 , thursday night was 7.8, friday morning was 6.3 , friday evening 5.3 and 5.3 again this morning , with two 5.3 in a row that must be encouraging? Im on the metmorfin and gliclazide. I have been doing around an hour and a half walk each day and have have cut out carbs. My sleeping was really bad last night and my legs have been sore at times, i dont know if im paranoid about that or its just from the walking, also is bacon and oranges ok?
Hi Rog, those figures look very encouraging don`t really know about the sleeping but if you are walking a lot more then that will probably account for aching legs. Bacon is usually fine but watch the oranges, eat to your meter and you will soon know what you can and can`t tolerate.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Rog, those figures look very encouraging don`t really know about the sleeping but if you are walking a lot more then that will probably account for aching legs. Bacon is usually fine but watch the oranges, eat to your meter and you will soon know what you can and can`t tolerate.
Chri & Vinny
Thanks for comments , good to hear bacon is ok and its goodbye to the oranges, I forgot to mention that I have lost at least half a stone since Wednesday , going to do the two our after from now, what am I looking for in the two hour after BG wise?

C

CheeseJunkie

Rog,
You sound like you're on the right track.

I was surprised by how many carbs were in oranges. Tropical fruit have a lot, generally. I tend to stick with non-tropical (though there are some surprises even there e.g. pears).
I found it useful to consult the Carbs & Cals book (available in most UK libraries), and some of the nutrition data websites. Checking and then testing seems to be the way forward.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rog, you really need to test immediately before food and again 2 hours after you begin eating. NICE guidelines say the 2hr reading should be 8.5 or less but most like it to be less than that, you are looking for a difference between before and after of no more than 2. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its the higher fluctuations after meals that you need to find out what makes your levels eaise or what keeps them ok.
Ie orange.. One might send your levels high but if you had gone for a walk and ate one and tested before the orange and after the orange you would see if there was a big change. However, if it is just ine irange after a walk you may well find that you would be fine eating it.
For an orange I would be recommending a rest after an hour as the juice has a quicker impact than say pasta...