Progress report a month since getting back on the wagon

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Giving myself some positive reinforcement to stay good by sharing my progress during the last month. Great to see those numbers turn green. This has been primarily by restricting carbs, although for the last week or so I have been on additional medication as well.

I went on the extra medication to give myself some extra safeguard that i could bring the numbers down, at a time when I felt under a lot of pressure for a variety of reasons.

I have relaxed my carb control only marginally though if at all so it is possible that I will soon go back to my old regime of metformin only. I discussed this with my doctor and he is happy for me to decide what I want to do based on my glucose counts.

A month ago my fasting glucose was 279mg/dl (15.5 mmol/l) on the first time I measured it after a long time of just sticking my head in the sand. My hba1c was a monstrous 9.6% (81.4 mmol/mol). So a wake up call was long overdue.

Tonight I was at 94mg/dl (5.2 mmol) before bed and roughly 2 hours after a late dinner.

Because of the high numbers at the start of the month my average glucose level (including pre and post prantial counts) for the month according to my meter is still a highish 130 mg/dl (7.2 mmol/l) leading to a predicted A1C of 6,3% (45.4 mmol/mol) a huge improvement in itself but still some way short of the kind of non diabetic scores I used to come back with. Still another two months before my next A1C so hopefully by then I can improve further.

Apologies if this post comes across as over indulgent or vain. Perhaps it is a bit but too be honest I do not feel I have much to be vain about. I should not have allowed myself to be so out of control in the first place.

But there is no use crying over spilled milk and it is never too late for us to try to regain control

If you have read this far, thank you for your patience.
Screenshot_20190615-002700_DiabetesM.jpg

Gryph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I genuinely find your posts inspirational - nobody is perfect, and the effort you are putting in should really pay off. Learn from the past... look to the future.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good work @pavlosn - It can be very cruel when life gets in the way of progress, but it looks like you're taking control back. Well done. :)

Reactions: pavlosn and geefull

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Pavlosn, I am pleased to hear your progress.
People relate to and take inspiration better from people who appear to have human failings just like themselves. So you are an inspiration!

If you has super-human discipline then folks would most likely think: 'I could never be like him!'.

Reactions: pavlosn

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so impressed at what you have achieved so far. I also want to thank you for posting. Every now and again I just think is it all worth it. Today was one of those days, however your post is not only a success story that encourages, it is also a wake up call to keep me going. So bless you.

Regards

Reactions: pavlosn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is nothing self indulgent or vain about your post. Nothing at all. It is an honest account of how you are recovering from a nasty fall off the wagon. My hat goes off to you. :)