Progress since my 'wake-up call'...

secrettheatre

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted for the first time, having effectively received a 'wake-up call' with regard to my diabetes care (see the post here). Well, I'd just like to say that my care has improved massively in the last few weeks, and I now feel on top of things. It still needs further improvement, but I'm confident now that I can achieve this. Most of the time now my blood glucose is below 10, and more often than not between 5 and 8. I am very pleased with this result, because previously my control had been frighteningly lax: a morning reading of 16 was not uncommon, for example. I still get the occasional high and low, but these have become rare occurrences, and I feel that eventually I will be able to get things much tighter (virtually eliminate them altogether? Dare I even hope for that??!). But I'm carb counting properly now, and it's become virtually second nature - and it's far less intrusive or burdensome than I imagined it would be. I'm going to contact my clinic with regard to going on a carb counting course that was mentioned to me last year, but which I couldn't be bothered to look into at the time (the acronym is DAFYDD, I think - I'm in Wales. Not sure what it actually stands for).

I'd just like to say a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge 'thank you' to everyone here who's been so helpful replying to some of the posts I've made so far, and just to everyone, really, for being here. And let's keep it that way, because clearly we need each other.

Chris

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Chris.
Great to hear another person who has come here and is being successful in getting healthier and taking control of the numbers.

As for the acronym DAFYDD it stands for Dose Adjustement For Your Daily Diet. The Welsh version of DAFNE. All they have done is to rearrange the letters to give it a Welsh identity.

Ken.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya chris,
really pleased you are getting things sorted, keep up the good work :D

Lel

Hi Chris,

Congrats on the wake up call. i had one of these myself a couple of weeks ago and I can appreciate the way you feel with regards to feel in control and on top of things.

I totally neglected to care about myself and wasnt taking my insuin until i was feeling so high that i thought i might pass out. i'd hate to think what my highest BG's were.

Now though i am carb counting better and i feel some sense of acheivement when i can get a normal reading after i have properly matched my insulin to my carbs.
Food has always been my problem for to long and i was scared of having to give up everything i love but now i know that with better control etc i can enjoy my treats much more because i know more now which helps me control my bgs when i have them.

Good luck for the future and keep up the good work.

xx

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done on getting sorted, the DAFNE will help you get a tighter control - I found it really useful and informative. It also helps to meet others and learn from their experiences and realise that you are not alone!

Keep up the good work - you should be very proud of yourself! :D

Louise