Progress

Scotsdude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 Diabetic a number of years ago and initially was controlling by diet only as an elderly bachelor living alone I ate most of my meals in a local restaurant and lost approx 25% of my weight by eating the same varied diet as before but always asking for half portions. Unfortunately they changed chefs and menus so half portions were no longer available and I regained the weight lost. I was prescribed Glycazide about 3 years ago as blood sugar levels had risen to 8 approx. At same time I changed my diet to be more or less long and at next 6 months hba1c blood sugar was back down to 6. I was taken off the Glycazide and since then have maintained a stable blood sugar levels of 6 and a steady slow weight loss to a current figure of 110kg only 25kg over " ideal ". Only downer is at my last check up my resting pulse rate was only 44 a figure normal for a top athlete not an overweight 73 year old.

Reactions: Bigbumcooper

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed type 2 Diabetic a number of years ago and initially was controlling by diet only as an elderly bachelor living alone I ate most of my meals in a local restaurant and lost approx 25% of my weight by eating the same varied diet as before but always asking for half portions. Unfortunately they changed chefs and menus so half portions were no longer available and I regained the weight lost. I was prescribed Glycazide about 3 years ago as blood sugar levels had risen to 8 approx. At same time I changed my diet to be more or less long and at next 6 months hba1c blood sugar was back down to 6. I was taken off the Glycazide and since then have maintained a stable blood sugar levels of 6 and a steady slow weight loss to a current figure of 110kg only 25kg over " ideal ". Only downer is at my last check up my resting pulse rate was only 44 a figure normal for a top athlete not an overweight 73 year old.

Weird, that a restaurant wouldn't help out a steady regular. That's just so wrong! Whenever I visit a new restaurant I ask whether it's okay for me to be a difficult, obnoxious customer. It usually gets a smile from the server, and they'll adjust whatever I ask. (Sometimes someone'll come and offer gluten-free stuff, or ask what diet I'm following and why. Always happy to explain I'm a T2 and how I handle it. Then they know I'm not just being difficult for the heck of it, and they really, truly are helping me stay healthy and it's appreciated loads.) I never expected that when I started out, and sometimes I still get teary-eyed with gratefullness. My usual haunts know I tip well for their trouble, haha. ;) You don't have to eat smaller portions, just cut back on the carbs. Ask for a salad or extra vegetables instead of potatoes, rice, bread or pasta, and that'll go a long way. The meat, fish and veggies can be full-sized. Should help with additional weightloss too, besides helping you control bloodsugars. All carbs, so sugars as well as starches, turn to bloodglucose once ingested. When you halved your meals, you also halved your carb-intake, that's why it worked so well for you. Cut them back some more and you might see additional progress. IF, of course, you want to; you're doing pretty good as it is. Just something to think about, is all. It may be easier for a kitchen to replace a fooditem with something non-carby than to halve the complete portion... And may be a more satisfying/filling meal for you. ;)

Reactions: ziggy_w
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't suppose you have to clear your plate if you don't want to but paying the same as everyone else could be a problem unless you make it clear that you don't mind paying, you just don't want the bad stuff.